Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by poleepkwa View Post
Would it be possible to make it "optional" to add the Facebook web page to a contact? Would it be possible to select profile pictures from the contacts and then exclude those from being update?
Disclaimer: I'm not the maintainer of Hermes, I've just contributed with bugs and code.

The Facebook web page (address, URL) could be made optional. You can file a bug (feature request) here: https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Hermes if you feel it's important. (Perhaps you could vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6631 which looks similar.) Would you mind telling a little more about why you don't want the address being added to your contacts?
On subsequent updates, we use the address for faster and more reliably match contacts in address book to friends on Facebook. It's very useful if you have two friends with the same name (as I do).

Exclude updating certain contacts profile pictures? There's been som discussion about this. I myself for instance would like to only update profile pictures set by Hermes in the first place. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5452 is a bug gone off topic, but if you feel this would be enough for you, please vote. I'm note sure it's feasable to actually cherry pick what contacts should be excluded from being updated at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
any progress with plaxo and livejournal?
I've made some initial runs with Plaxo and it works fine. Haven't had time between work and kids to clean up the code and submit a patch though.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6991 - the request for Plaxo

I'm not sure if anyone's looking at LiveJournal.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6992 - the request for LiveJournal

Originally Posted by fredrik_wendt View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not the maintainer of Hermes, I've just contributed with bugs and code.

The Facebook web page (address, URL) could be made optional. You can file a bug (feature request) here: https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Hermes if you feel it's important. (Perhaps you could vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6631 which looks similar.) Would you mind telling a little more about why you don't want the address being added to your contacts?
On subsequent updates, we use the address for faster and more reliably match contacts in address book to friends on Facebook. It's very useful if you have two friends with the same name (as I do).

Exclude updating certain contacts profile pictures? There's been som discussion about this. I myself for instance would like to only update profile pictures set by Hermes in the first place. https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5452 is a bug gone off topic, but if you feel this would be enough for you, please vote. I'm note sure it's feasable to actually cherry pick what contacts should be excluded from being updated at the moment.
Thank you for clearing up a few things. I was asking about the facebook address since I have a lot of net pages assigned to a some contacts already. I agree the contact pictures might be a rather problematic. It will work fine if you have a few contacts but it could get rather heavy when you have more. What about the option to inform that the following profile pics have been updated, would you like to update some selected or all? Some people changes it so often its hard to keep up.

Originally Posted by poleepkwa View Post
Thank you for clearing up a few things. I was asking about the facebook address since I have a lot of net pages assigned to a some contacts already. I agree the contact pictures might be a rather problematic. It will work fine if you have a few contacts but it could get rather heavy when you have more. What about the option to inform that the following profile pics have been updated, would you like to update some selected or all? Some people changes it so often its hard to keep up.
I feel your pain (or a similar one at least - I have 670 contacts in my address book, about half of them are also on facebook), and I really don't need to see people with their new pet, fun sign or whatever, which is why I want to prioritize Gravatar and LinkedIn over Facebook - but I just read that someone else requested the reverse order, so this really is a matter of taste.
Yes, I guess it'd be possible to add new steps and/or options in the "after automatic matching" process is done. I'm not a fan of the way it works now. It's practically impossible to get things right now for me when I need to scroll the list of contacts and then point out the matching friend. But that's perhaps another issue.

Idea: add a button in the "after" step called "new photos" which would show a grid of all contacts which have a (new) photo, select the ones to include (or exclude). That might work (even when you have 300+ "friends" to go through). The question is how often you'll be happy doing just that ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredrik_wendt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by fredrik_wendt View Post
Idea: add a button in the "after" step called "new photos" which would show a grid of all contacts which have a (new) photo, select the ones to include (or exclude). That might work (even when you have 300+ "friends" to go through). The question is how often you'll be happy doing just that ...
Interesting idea. If we're going to overhaul the UI (backend's done, UI must be next ;-)), it might be worth moving to Qt so that a transition to MeeGo (hell, with Qt Mobility it should even work now) is easier.

Two more thoughts on the "idea": Start with two tabs: "included" and "excluded". All photos appear on the included tab, one big grid which is what you see at first. Provide a "remove all button" (perhaps in the menu?) which moves all photos to the "excluded" tab.
When you click on a photo on the "included" tab, that photo is moved to the "excluded" tab, and vice versa. I think that'd actually be kind of OK to work with. (There should also be a Done button, and it might be a good thing to put it in the menu/toolbar.)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I hope this goes to the right thread, since I couldn't find any relevant one. Anyways.

I like the idea. I do have friends on Facebook, that I also have on my phone and it is easier to update those infos for them from Facebook, if I just press "update". However, I'm not quite satisfied with this functionality.

Once I pressed update surely I did get the updates to my existing contacts? Nope. Those new updates were added to my list as new contacts, which really did surprise (and frustrate) me. Thankfully it was only 14 contacts (and I have Merge Contacts installed). However, I'm now hesitating to do the update again, since I'd have to (most likely) re-assign the names, again.

I'm not sure where this comes from but I'm assuming it's related to the way I display my contacts? I've chosen Surname, Firstname while Hermes automatically uses Firstname Surname. So in future versions (I'm not updating this from Extras-Devel/-Testing, not willing to risk my contacts getting messed up via update, no offence [and yet I'm using Merge Contacts from Extras-Testing...]) I'd like to see at least an option to add those new updates to already existing contacts, instead of creating completely new ones.

I'd also like to see a list where to choose from whom I'd like to get to my phone. Yes, I'm talking about a checking-list. I don't really see any idea on importing friends to my phone, if I don't have their number to call them. Sure, I can use the Facebook-chat but that's pretty much it (and e-mail, if they've provided one).

Other than that I have no complains about Hermes (though I think my feedback just trashed it, eh?). I hope you keep up the good work and we'll see even better version of it in future.

Is it possible to de-associate a contact from its facebook data?

Because I associated a contact by mistake, now every time I hit retrieve, I have to manually remove the added data on that contact.

:/

Originally Posted by ChadiM View Post
Is it possible to de-associate a contact from its facebook data?:/
Kind of - you can remove the association of "contact" (in your phone) to the "friend" (on the social network). There's no way to undo any changes applied to your contact once you've exited Hermes: if information got added to the contact that you didn't want, you'll have to remove that your self (or load a backup if you have one).

To remove the association, open the address/phone book, find the contact and click the photo to start edit the details. At the bottom there should be "web link" looking like http://www.facebook.com/....... - you basically remove that contact field and the association is gone.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh right, I forgot. It seems to be also so, that Hermes does not import contacts birthday.

Tags
application, birthday, contact, contacts, facebook, fremantle, hermes, information, jaffa, maemo, maemo 5, photo, photos, sync, synchronization, twitter, url, website