if only it had network connection working...
the only reason i'm waiting for this is to be able to use Salling Clicker remote in its java version, but it requires a network connection (it uses TCP).

Litte OT, but good news to Java:
Oracle and IBM Collaborate to Accelerate Java Innovation Through OpenJDK

Now they just need to develop Java futher and for example have that Dalvik's cow-shared-memory class-loading and security ("Memory Consumption" and "Security") improvements and concentrate to optimize JIT to be faster than C++.

[edit]
Nokia could join the party and try to get QtJambi integrated to standard OpenJDK Java.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-10-12 at 09:23.

I wouldn't call that good new (especially for us). It is actually violating Oracle's licensing to run OpenJDK on a mobile device. Apache was trying to remove that restriction for the Harmony project but Sun and now Oracle refused. Now IBM has given up on Harmony.

Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
I wouldn't call that good new (especially for us). It is actually violating Oracle's licensing to run OpenJDK on a mobile device.
Really?
It seems to me IcedTea6, and modern builds of OpenJDK are under GPL, in which case it should be perfectly legal to distribute it on any platform needed.

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Really?
It seems to me IcedTea6, and modern builds of OpenJDK are under GPL, in which case it should be perfectly legal to distribute it on any platform needed.
The problem is patents, which are covered in GPL 3 but not GPL 2 which OpenJDK uses. That is the basis for the whole Oracle/Google lawsuit.

Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
The problem is patents, which are covered in GPL 3 but not GPL 2 which OpenJDK uses. That is the basis for the whole Oracle/Google lawsuit.
Could you clarify what kind of patents (or what patents) are the problem with OpenJDK, with its GPL+linking license?
We are free to link anything in JDK with our application and use whatever license we want when selling, giving or distributing it, or aren't we?

I wouldn't be surprised though to know there are many problems.
The whole US software patent system is f*d up anyhow, whatever is done it smashes against some patent(s) and only big companies can afford to defend patents. I would say whole US legal system is a joke with all those extra blood sucking lawyers and TV commercials.

I know, Java for "mobile devices" have issues. Namely mobile phones are not included in "general purpose computers" which the license talks about.
But they need to change that, or .NET or Dalvik takes over. If Google looses its legal fight to Oracle, then .NET, and would think IBM and Oracle would not want it to go that way.
Or....fork Python to be statically typed and fast by making intelligent JIT with adaptive optimizations.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-10-12 at 18:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
The OpenJDK license has no effect on patents, only Sun/Oracle's patent grant allows you to redistribute it, and as you know mobile devices are not included.

You can link to any of the Java libraries, as they are covered by the classpath exception, and distribute your app under whatever license you want. If you are linking to native code then it is a different story. I assume the standard JNI use is covered by the classpath exception.

[...]only Sun/Oracle's patent grant allows you to redistribute it, and as you know mobile devices are not included.
This has been posted several times, with -nothing- to back it up.
What patent(s), specifically, are we talking about? I want numbers here. What's the definition of "mobile phone", in said patents anyway?

I've tried to Google for it, but I haven't found anything more than a couple of links to the current Google vs. Oracle fight, and a forum post or two, and that's -not- definitive in the least.

Until I see some good -proof- as to JavaSE-based OpenJDK being legal or not on a mobile computer with built in 3G radio...

The patents are listed here: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...e-1102506.html

They don't refer to mobile devices in the patents.

The patent grant is here: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jdk-6u21-doc-license.txt

It doesn't mention mobile devices either, but you have to pass the TCK to redistribute, and the TCK doesn't allow implementations for mobile devices. Where exactly that leaves OpenJDK, since it is Oracle's own project, I don't know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
I a little confused to say at least. So is it possible to run Java games on N900? In some easy way.
Even stupid Windows Mobile has this possibility :-/

The Following User Says Thank You to Biges For This Useful Post: