Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
hello @ all

sorry for my absence - i read much documentation for "How to build a debian package" because i have no plan of this :-D

yeah i know - it seam like nokia build a layout part in the hildon-desktop
at the moment i work on a workaround for this

the main bug for "loop of death" is fixed

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
manzn: Did jeremiah help you?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
@qole i wrote him a mail today again :-(

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
install rootsh through program manager
then

root
dpkg -i packagename.deb
It says it cannot find the file...where do I download it from?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
from site six of this thread..

Same here, try to read some of the previous posts.

Tho manzn could also put some of the basics to the first page

other possibility is apt-get, checked it is up there

Code:
apt-get install mymenu

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The two apps confused the heck out of me. I prefer the mymenu approach.

Originally Posted by Meelis View Post
The new Firmware mixed the order up.

Now the folders are alphabeticaly first and then the apps.

Ou well will tweak it a bit
Hi, everyone,

The PR1.1 update changed a little how menus are read, now it uses the freedesktop.org spec as much as possible.

Now hildon-desktop looks for a hildon.menu file not only in the system directory (/etc/xdg/menus), but also in the user's configuration directory (/home/user/.config/menu). The menu in the latter overrides the system, so it's a lot better to make personal changes there instead of modifying the one in /etc. The override is done using a <MergeFile> directive, so it's important to keep that one in or h-d won't be able to find the desktop files.

H-d also follows the spec regarding the order of applications. Everything that's not set in a <Layout> section will be put at the end in alphabetical order. You can look at the new system hildon.menu to see how ordering is done now.

The default user hildon.menu also tells h-d to look first in the user's local data directory for desktop files. That makes any desktop file put in /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon override the system's desktop file for that app. This could be used, for example, to add Categories to desktop files that don't have it or to change an application's icon.

I hope these changes make it a lot easier to customize the launcher as much as you want. Don't hesitate to contact me for more info, or to ask in maemo-devs; and sorry for the delay in communicating all this.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marcoil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by marcoil View Post
Now hildon-desktop looks for a hildon.menu file not only in the system directory (/etc/xdg/menus), but also in the user's configuration directory (/home/user/.config/menu). The menu in the latter overrides the system, so it's a lot better to make personal changes there instead of modifying the one in /etc. The override is done using a <MergeFile> directive, so it's important to keep that one in or h-d won't be able to find the desktop files.
Just a note to say that this is also a lovely new way to brick your phone . Issues with the menu system can cause a reboot loop, requiring a reflash of both firmware and eMMC (as the local menu changes are on the eMMC).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Just a note to say that this is also a lovely new way to brick your phone . Issues with the menu system can cause a reboot loop, requiring a reflash of both firmware and eMMC (as the local menu changes are on the eMMC).
Oh, yes, thanks for pointing that out. Although we've tried to minimize the effect errors in the menu files have on h-d, you should be careful when editing them.

Simple editing errors (I've made more than a few myself) will just get you an empty menu, which can be solved by deleting the /home/user/.config/menus directory. To get an xterm from the desktop without the launcher, use the convinient Ctrl+Shift+X. If you restart h-d and that dir isn't present, h-d will re-create it with the default hildon.menu file.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marcoil For This Useful Post: