Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The mainstream for the most part just don't care - they want to be able to conveniently share/communicate/do things that other people are doing as well. And by convenient, I mean easily done. And on a product that's socially acceptable and easy to use.
Sure. People like comfort and are willing to pay for that and usually accept the obvious constraints. If you are one of them then my post is not directed to you. I don't want to prevent or criticize people that want comfort, abide to the social norms and are pleased to buy the mainstream hardware/software.
No problem, I just suggest that people that want something different and open to invest in companies or movements that support free software and (as open as possible) hardware. Even if it is lacking in some areas and costs more.

FSF wants to change the whole industry but I don't think that is needed and I don't think anyone not following suit is evil. On the other hand if there is enough money to be made by creating more stuff like FSF certified hardware things might change for the better.
My minor contribution in that direction will be buying the Pyra instead of a GPD WIN, I might buy a NEO900 motherboard once it is launched, if my laptop stops working buy a FSF certified laptop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
So what Linus has a MacBook Air? He can still program on it.
Well I have MacBook, so what of it?
It's just a piece of HW, what you run on it counts;

Code:
juice@sabretooth:~$ 
juice@sabretooth:~$ sudo lshw | head -n 5
sabretooth                
    description: Notebook
    product: MacBookPro11,2 (System SKU#)
    vendor: Apple Inc.
    version: 1.0
juice@sabretooth:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well I have MacBook, so what of it?
It's just a piece of HW, what you run on it counts
Not sure... but in your tone, you seem to be disagreeing whereas I was making the same point. It's just a tool, can be used in many different ways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
No, not disagreeing. I love the piece of HW it is; very nice engineering. It just comes with a default OS that I could not agree with. The constant nagging about creating an Apple ID made it impossible to use... after about a week I gave up and did The Right Thing.

From your comments I understood that some people can use it productively; good for them, I at least gave it a try before moving on

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
What's wrong with setting up an Apple ID? That's needed for software updates, the same as Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
What's wrong with setting up an Apple ID? That's needed for software updates, the same as Jolla.
It was asking me to give credit details etc. And yes, you need it for updates. Compare to all Linux distros I know, none ask you to give personal info to be able to pull updates and install from repositories.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Compare to all Linux distros I know, none ask you to give personal info to be able to pull updates and install from repositories.
Except Sailfish. When I dared to point out that little fact and question why one needs an account, I got the flak. (In all fairness, I received an answer in the end but only after days of severe flames. I am still not convinced that an account was the right solution.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It was asking me to give credit details etc. And yes, you need it for updates. Compare to all Linux distros I know, none ask you to give personal info to be able to pull updates and install from repositories.
This is true. Without a valid credit card and/or PayPal, you cannot set up an Apple ID even if only for the free updates to the operating system and/or free apps in their store(s).

This is often a rallying point against Apple by those that find this requirement disgusting or unnecessary; if not both. It's become the same for Windows as well whereas that is not a requirement on any Linux distro (for the most part - I'm sure some example exists) as of yet.

The whole "require a login" by Jolla is somewhat off-putting to those that hate this kind of corporate behavior.

So to pull this all together, do any other Linux devices require an account?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
So to pull this all together, do any other Linux devices require an account?
I couldn't find one on first thoughts.
But when thinking a bit more there is the biggest one !
Red Hat needs an account for binary packages downloads (not for sources, as required by the licenses).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
This is true. Without a valid credit card and/or PayPal, you cannot set up an Apple ID even if only for the free updates to the operating system and/or free apps in their store(s).
This isn't true. You just select 'none' as a payment method. This is what we do on our office Macs.

See https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204034

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy