Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
i have 2 queries/suggestions:
1. i posted this already but can the keyboard colour be changed to grey or white, because currently it's almost invisible in sunlight
2. why is the portrait kb so small? the landscape goes almost to the top of the screen while the portrait goes halfway. i think it's best not going all the way to the top, but it should be higher so the keys aren't so squashed.

also, will it ever load faster? it's not terrible right now but it is sluggish, and 'portrait keyboard' in devels, although never finished, was pretty fast to open up

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Can you make it look like the keyboard in opera mobile? looks really great!!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
i have 2 queries/suggestions:
1. i posted this already but can the keyboard colour be changed to grey or white, because currently it's almost invisible in sunlight
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Can you make it look like the keyboard in opera mobile? looks really great!!
*Sigh* This keyboard uses your system's theme. If you don't like the darkness of the buttons, get a lighter theme. And no I hope for my own sake that this doesn't look like the Opera keyboard. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad keyboard - it is pretty nice - but it's not the greatest thing in the world like some people seem to irrationally worship it for being.

2. why is the portrait kb so small? the landscape goes almost to the top of the screen while the portrait goes halfway. i think it's best not going all the way to the top, but it should be higher so the keys aren't so squashed.
Because that's just what hildon-input-method does when the window under it is forced into portrait mode by the rotation of the vkb, but wouldn't be able to rotate normally. Enable rotation in an app you're using the vkb in, then open up the vkb and use it in portrait. It should go all the way up to the almost top when you do that. This has nothing to do with his vkb - if you use the CSSU and force auto-rotation everywhere, you'll see the stock vkb does the same thing in portrait. Scrunches at the bottom.

Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
also, will it ever load faster? it's not terrible right now but it is sluggish, and 'portrait keyboard' in devels, although never finished, was pretty fast to open up
That's because 'portrait keyboard' was JUST a vkb - this launches the entire FastSMS app. Now, I would think the best solution is slowly splitting the FastSMS package set into three distinct packages - the keyboard-needed files, the settings/configuration package, and FastSMS itself. When FastSMS would be installed it would pull the other two (and use them as widgets within itself), when FastSMSEvo is installed, it would pull in just the settings ui package.

Beyond that you can also make it preload itself on boot, which means slower initial boot time, but most people wouldn't mind. The next difficulty is the swapping i/o one, where if the vkb is swapped, and you're trying to open in when it's in swap, there's i/o collisions and it slows down, so you'd see speed ups with, say, the various kernel/vm tweaks available, swap relocation to microSD, and the like. But those are entirely outside the realm of the keyboard. Alternatively this plugin would have to force the kernel to not swap it out, which is of questionable okay-ness for every user, not to mention probably difficult to do from within Qt.

ok, my main problem with this app is that it overrides the dial pad in the phone application. Or rather, you can't see the number dialled unless you click in the box and wait for the keyboard textbox to appear

ok, my main problem with this app is that it overrides the dial pad in the phone application. Or rather, you can't see the number dialled unless you click in the box and wait for the keyboard textbox to appear
Slight bug but its one i dontmindliving with. Tbh I dont find myself consistently touching the text box whenim typing in a number so it isnt really a problem for me.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Slight bug but its one i dontmindliving with. Tbh I dont find myself consistently touching the text box whenim typing in a number so it isnt really a problem for me.
Neither do i, the problem really is you can't tell if you dial a number wrong. So you have to dial it, tap the box, wait for it to open, check it's correct, tap outside, wait for it to rotate twice which it always does when closing the portrait kb, and then press call. Very cumbersome

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
So this thing cannot be implemented system wide?

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
So this thing cannot be implemented system wide?
it is system wide

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
what I mean is for it to show up even in web browsing mode. Heck even come in horizontal mode when it is needed. Simply put, to get away with the generic virtual keyboard.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
what I mean is for it to show up even in web browsing mode. Heck even come in horizontal mode when it is needed. Simply put, to get away with the generic virtual keyboard.
Errrm mate. This is a system wide keyboard :P

It works everywhere minus a few places where there might be a couple of bugs.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Tags
keyboard, portrait, wikkid