Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It looks as if Amazon has update their kindle app for a little 3.0 luvin'

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/a...-tablets-real/
MARKET LINK: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

I don't know if reading on >7" would be pleasurable...

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The reviews of the Asus Transformer are flooding in, and the verdict is good -- really good.
Everyone here knows I'm an 10" enthusiast, but the mobility of 7" has converted me .... now I want an 8.9" one like the Galaxy Tab (thin & light).
http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...s-on-20110322/

I'm looking to buy a (cheap) car ... and one if the things I'll also add into consideration is to modify the centre dash to make room for a tablet. I want it to fit an 8.9" tablet there, so I can hook it up to the amplifier (under the front passanger seat).

But the ASUS Transformer is fantastic that it can actually displace the need for a netbook or my Acer 4810TG. Someone needs to bring the "transformer" addition to the 8.9" size >D

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Engadget says it goes on sale in the US April 26. I may get one.
SPEAKING of which...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/a...ril-26-for-399

For that price.. I think I might buy it! Pretty close to my birthday on the 29th, too...

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I'm looking to buy a (cheap) car ... and one if the things I'll also add into consideration is to modify the centre dash to make room for a tablet.
Oh yeah! I got my car mount for the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inch) today! It's not bad--but it feels like it falls short on a couple of things:

1) It comes with another one of those 2amp USB charger plugs for the car, which is great, but is also came with a USB to 3mm adapter that plugs into the car mount--so you can't just use the cable that comes in the package with anything else (i.e. you can't directly plug it into the Tab or use it on the HDMI dock or the keyboard). Ugh. What a shortsighted, stupid mistake... which I could have overlooked if...
2) They ruined an opportunity to include a line-out/speaker connection on the car dock! I can't believe they did that! They have one on the HDMI dock, they even have one on the KEYBOARD... but not on the car dock? It would have made it FAR more convenient for anybody that isn't using Bluetooth and depends on a line-out (as I do sometimes). You COULD have just sat in the car, slapped the Tab into the dock and that would have been the end of it because the power and audio is already there--we know the port can DO that. Ugh--what a stupid waste of a good opportunity.

Anyway--aside from that, at LEAST it provides a convenient and surprisingly solid car mount for the window or dashboard, where the power it automatically provided to the Tab from your vehicle's power plug. Best of all--they saw fit to cut a hole for the camera... which I put to good use today taking pictures of emergency vehicles after an incredibly windy day where trees fell on cars on the highway. (New England has weird weather all the time.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
What do you guys ('n gals) think of the Nexus S? I'm thinking of getting one to use alongside my N900 and drop the E51.
Is it a good device? Any hands-on experience? I don't want the specs, I want your opinion. Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Everyone here knows I'm an 10" enthusiast, but the mobility of 7" has converted me .... now I want an 8.9" one like the Galaxy Tab (thin & light).
http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...s-on-20110322/

I'm looking to buy a (cheap) car ... and one if the things I'll also add into consideration is to modify the centre dash to make room for a tablet. I want it to fit an 8.9" tablet there, so I can hook it up to the amplifier (under the front passanger seat).

But the ASUS Transformer is fantastic that it can actually displace the need for a netbook or my Acer 4810TG. Someone needs to bring the "transformer" addition to the 8.9" size >D
Well, there are cases out there that incorporate a BT keyboard and they can be had for much less than $150. These are available for the Galaxy Tab 7, and iPad, but I suppose that they would be avaliable for other devices as well.

One downside is that they don't dock nearly as well as the Transformer, and they don't improve the battery life of the system. In fact, they may take it down a bit in that BT is required to be on.

Lastly, there is no touchpad built into these devices, so it's just a functional keyboard.

The transformer wins clearly with its well integrated component, but there is still hope! Here's hoping that some manufacturer decides to build a Tab 8.9 case, complete with keyboard and touchpad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
SPEAKING of which...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/a...ril-26-for-399

For that price.. I think I might buy it! Pretty close to my birthday on the 29th, too...

Oh yeah! I got my car mount for the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inch) today! It's not bad--but it feels like it falls short on a couple of things:

1) It comes with another one of those 2amp USB charger plugs for the car, which is great, but is also came with a USB to 3mm adapter that plugs into the car mount--so you can't just use the cable that comes in the package with anything else (i.e. you can't directly plug it into the Tab or use it on the HDMI dock or the keyboard). Ugh. What a shortsighted, stupid mistake... which I could have overlooked if...
2) They ruined an opportunity to include a line-out/speaker connection on the car dock! I can't believe they did that! They have one on the HDMI dock, they even have one on the KEYBOARD... but not on the car dock? It would have made it FAR more convenient for anybody that isn't using Bluetooth and depends on a line-out (as I do sometimes). You COULD have just sat in the car, slapped the Tab into the dock and that would have been the end of it because the power and audio is already there--we know the port can DO that. Ugh--what a stupid waste of a good opportunity.

Anyway--aside from that, at LEAST it provides a convenient and surprisingly solid car mount for the window or dashboard, where the power it automatically provided to the Tab from your vehicle's power plug. Best of all--they saw fit to cut a hole for the camera... which I put to good use today taking pictures of emergency vehicles after an incredibly windy day where trees fell on cars on the highway. (New England has weird weather all the time.)
I agree, silly flaws indeed!

Pictures?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
What do you guys ('n gals) think of the Nexus S? I'm thinking of getting one to use alongside my N900 and drop the E51.
Is it a good device? Any hands-on experience? I don't want the specs, I want your opinion. Thanks
I'll start, but should warn you that I have no experience.

I remember that there were some strange restarting bugs with this handset, that you should ensure have been resolved before you make a purchase.

The flaw of not including a microSD port is a big design flaw. While 16GB is ample storage, it's always nice to know that you can have more, or move data around. In the designers defense, though, I typically just buy a card and leave it jammed in the slot anyway. I would go for the 32GB model (if such a model exists).

Other than that, I think this is hands down the most beautiful handset on the market. The SAMOLED screen will delight your eyeballs, and the (very) subtle curve adds a touch of sophistication.

With the Google experience, it means the latest updates without the wait. This is a very compelling feature.

Were I buying a phone, it would likely be at the top of my list if I didn't know the Galaxy S2 was around the corner -- it looks to be a beast of a device!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The Android army is now joined by the US army:

US Army picks Android to power its first smartphone
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...smartphone.ars

I'm not a fan of the military (or killing in general), though I thought that this was newsworthy!

The poo flinging continues...

Next up: Samsung countersuing apple for patent infringement of some 10 patents.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/s...gement-claims/

Le sigh...

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I've been a big fan of the 7" tablet size. However, the Asus Transformer looks very compelling, and priced very competitively. The reviews seem very solid as well. I'm guessing that it could pick up a sizable hacker following,

Up to now, dual booting an android phone would seem to be one of those things with limited utility. I'll bet that the Transformer sees a full blown version of Ubuntu (or similar) as a dual boot option. I mean with the keyboard, extra ports, extra battery, it seems like it's just begging for it.

That has me re-thinking my tablet needs. With my N900, an android tablet was a great companion, able to fill in some gaps in the N900's abilities, plus provided a larger screen for viewing.

Now with the Vibrant as my phone, the only difference between it and my tablet is physical size. The phone does everything the tablet does, just smaller and lighter. Hardware wise, they are very similar. So, while I've been taking the tablet to work everyday since I got it (mid-January), I'm starting to feel like that's overkill, as it does nothing more than my phone now.

So, now I'm thinking a larger tablet might be nicer. The Transformer looks like it has plenty of potential (although I won't buy a toy based on potential again after the N900). Does anyone know if the dock for the Transformer is reversible? Meaning that the tablet can be plugged in backwards and folded down screen up, leaving it in tablet mode, but increasing battery life, and adding the extra ports? That'd be a killer feature.

I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of buying one to quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy