Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
ls /mnt shows:
lost+found
That's expected.

As I understand I have to again extract the files from the image but now change the destination from sd card to my emmc partition
<snip>
Is this correct?
Spot on!

And where to add that parameter which will help to avoid reboots on my not so tough N900?
Try without first.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
btw. bumping my problem with lxde
No idea as I was not using LXDE (not much point on such a small screen) but bumping again as I feel guilty for burying it with my posts.

For reference, I think you speak about this post.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maybe try pinning glibc to squeeze version and check whether it'll work. And maybe it's been updated.

/edit: or try the version from jessie/sid/whatever. We might have a broked mix like with squeeze/lenny but it'll work at least.
Pinning glibc to squeeze is, probably, going to require downgrading few other things to squeeze, to. This or other way, doing so is replicating lenny/squeeze mix we had earlier, with all multitude of problems for future.

Personally, with such perspective, I would rather opt for downgrading to Squeeze entirely, so I'm not (again, personally) interested in spending my time for pinning/mixing efforts. Of course, everyone is free to try and I'll gladly discuss results.
---

@fw190, that command was "nice" and was to be applied in line where you copy (cp) files - but, if your device would be to reboot, nice won't help, anyway, so as pichlo said, try without it, first.

Generally, if you have swap on microSD, and you'll be copying files *to* eMMC, you shouldn't get reboot problems.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hear ye hear ye! (TMO listens)

EasyDeeee works on eMMC!!! (TMO waves)

Pichlo thank you for your extensive help with this! Now I'm testing ED on eMMC with swap on SD (found a spare card)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Pinning glibc to squeeze is, probably, going to require downgrading few other things to squeeze, to. This or other way, doing so is replicating lenny/squeeze mix we had earlier, with all multitude of problems for future.

Personally, with such perspective, I would rather opt for downgrading to Squeeze entirely, so I'm not (again, personally) interested in spending my time for pinning/mixing efforts. Of course, everyone is free to try and I'll gladly discuss results.

/Estel
And what about upgrading to entirely jessie (maybe that'll do the trick)?

Last edited by marmistrz; 2013-07-05 at 08:55.

I would rather expect the opposite (more things broken), but it's still worth the try No much sense until jessie get "frozen", yet. Too much changes too often.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I would rather expect the opposite (more things broken), but it's still worth the try No much sense until jessie get "frozen", yet. Too much changes too often.
Another idea might be trying Ubuntu. Although it's becoming a little crappy these days, we have more options. Maybe 13.04 won't work, but 12.04 will & etc.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Don't know if this is the place to post my problem.

I've installed easy debian from extras repository and downloaded on my pc the images from qole site, extracted them and then copied them on MyDocs one at a time (only one image at a time on the n900). Everything seems to work fine. Then I've tried to configure icedove for mail, and here is the issue: imap with ssl don't seem to work. Icedove tells me that the settings are not correct, but I have the same settings on thunderbird on my ubuntu pc. And this happens with every image (even those experimental that I found on the forums, and with icedove 3.x and 10.x). If I try the settings without ssl it seems to work (it gives me a warning but I can send and receive mails).

The reason I need icedove is because the official n900 mail app doesn't sync the sent folder over imap, and I really need this feature so I can see the mails I've send from the n900 on my desktop app. So I would use the default mail app only to check for incoming mails and if I need to respond or to write a mail then I would fire up icedove and use it.

If someone knows if the "bug" of the default mail app can be and would be fixed, an alternative that works, or how to connect with icedove on imap and ssl it would be awesome.

Tanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
No idea about your Icedove problem but...

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
The reason I need icedove is because the official n900 mail app doesn't sync the sent folder over imap
It does not? That's new to me. It works perfectly fine for me.

What Modest does NOT do is put your sent emails in the proper "Sent" folder. Instead, it puts them all in some local "Sent" folder.. All sent emails from all accounts go the same one place, all mixed up. Yuck. So the first thing I do after sending an email is reopen the message, select "Move Message" from the menu and move it to the relevant account's "Sent" folder where it is nicely synced with my IMAP server.

EDIT:
This is even more off-topic in this thread but I thought I'd mention it anyway as it is a security risk. I bought a used N900 about a year ago. All the contacts, messages, email accounts etc were carefully deleted by the previous owner - except the poor guy did not realize the Modest's shortcoming with the sent emails which were still there, even after the accounts had been deleted! Keep that in mind when passing your N900 on. If you can't or don't want to flash it, then at least make sure all your private info is properly deleted, including sent emails.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-07-25 at 12:46.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No idea about your Icedove problem but...

It does not? That's new to me. It works perfectly fine for me.

What Modest does NOT do is put your sent emails in the proper "Sent" folder. Instead, it puts them all in some local "Sent" folder.. All sent emails from all accounts go the same one place, all mixed up. Yuck. So the first thing I do after sending an email is reopen the message, select "Move Message" from the menu and move it to the relevant account's "Sent" folder where it is nicely synced with my IMAP server.
That is true! I never thought to try that. Thanks for the info. But now I am thinking if it exist maybe a solution to automate the task and not have to manually move the message every time? Maybe a script or something, don't know.... but it would be awesome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze