Notices

he wrote this on his blog
@everyone else: Thanks for the support! I don’t think I need any more help at the moment, I’m close to finishing it!

I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks KaKaRoTo!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
you guys are dumb, are you gonna be happy to run some app and have to plug the n900 into the ps3 every time you want to play it? just buy the $25 usb thing, way less hassle.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
you guys are dumb
Translation:
I don't like this so I'm going to go all ad-hominem on the people who asked about it!
Real nice of you there.

A better point would be "why spend the effort when Sony is likely capable of plugging this hole with an update?"

are you gonna be happy to run some app and have to plug the n900 into the ps3 every time you want to play it? just buy the $25 usb thing, way less hassle.
And some people like doing things differently.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
"By writing this exploit as a standard linux driver, this means that my module can be used on any other linux-enabled devices.. this means not only the N900, but also the 770, N800, N810, Android phones and future Meego devices. It might need a little porting for some devices though, but it should still work…"
According to his blog

just buy the $25 usb thing, way less hassle.
You don't know what that "thing" is, it is not surprising you don't understand. Less hassle? heh, this is the wrong place for that kind of thinking.. (Also, if/when sony plug this hole then just load a new exploit module the scene creates)

On a side note I like the fact that this exploit doesn't have a "backup manager" which means its all about homebrew and not piracy.
(can't someone make this thread turn into a piracy debate? That would be some original trolling)

The information on the exploit itself is pretty cool:
"The exploit carefully manipulates the heap by plugging and unplugging fake usb devices with large device descriptors until the device on port 4 which misreports its size to overwrite one of malloc's boundary tags. " from http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Dev/ps-ja...g-is-detailed/

Last edited by tentpole; 2010-09-02 at 18:15.

dumb isn't a very strong insult, I'm sure you will get over it. lol.
I'm just pointing out it's not a good use of a skilled programmer's time to write an app that is "cool" but ultimately useless as the usb stick provides a much more convenient solution.
I'm just kind of defensive about people requesting stupid things. I think I explained why this seems stupid, but yes it's just my opinion. I work somewhere that computer programmers get paid a lot, so I am just saying this isn't a good use of a programmer's time. If he wants to do it anyways, great. But I hate to request and encourage people to work on things that are not going to be used. In fact it is quite possible that this cannot even be done, the exploit requires more control over the USB port than the operating system is likely to give.

you guys are dumb, are you gonna be happy to run some app and have to plug the n900 into the ps3 every time you want to play it? just buy the $25 usb thing, way less hassle.
I think that you are bit dumb. And it is one of those things you do because we can... And there will probably be CFW in near future to patch ps3 so that you won't need any dongle.

"The PSGroove for now allows the very same features as the PSJailBreak but without backup manager support, you can also now remove the dongle."

Read more: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...#ixzz0yOhAzYeU

Last edited by NOkk3r1; 2010-09-02 at 18:20.

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
i agree. i would much prefer a decent remote play on my n900. my 2pence.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_xzibit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tentpole View Post
"By writing this exploit as a standard linux driver, this means that my module can be used on any other linux-enabled devices.. this means not only the N900, but also the 770, N800, N810, Android phones and future Meego devices. It might need a little porting for some devices though, but it should still work…"
According to his blog

You don't know what that "thing" is, it is not surprising you don't understand. Less hassle? heh, this is the wrong place for that kind of thinking.. (Also, if/when sony plug this hole then just load a new exploit module the scene creates)

On a side note I like the fact that this exploit doesn't have a "backup manager" which means its all about homebrew and not piracy.
(can't someone make this thread turn into a piracy debate? That would be some original trolling)

The information on the exploit itself is pretty cool:
"The exploit carefully manipulates the heap by plugging and unplugging fake usb devices with large device descriptors until the device on port 4 which misreports its size to overwrite one of malloc's boundary tags. " from http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Dev/ps-ja...g-is-detailed/
hah, nice try. i actually know what it is. I've read all of that yesterday and already bought a "TEENSY++" from the manufacturer of those. i called it a "thing" because there are several different compatible devices and none of them share a common name.
If you read this guy's blog, he's been working on this usb driver module code for quite a while, well before the PSGroove release, and would appreciate it if people stop harassing him for his "status" on IRC. Not that it would be any of you guys, right?

Originally Posted by NOkk3r1 View Post
I think that you are bit dumb. And it is one of those things you do because we can... And there will probably be CFW in near future to patch ps3 so that you won't need any dongle.

"The PSGroove for now allows the very same features as the PSJailBreak but without backup manager support, you can also now remove the dongle."

Read more: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...#ixzz0yOhAzYeU
yes, you can remove the dongle... i read that.
do you understand that you have to plug it back in every time you reboot? it doesn't permanently hack the ps3...