Active Topics

Notices

Cobb made a note on the mailing list:
On Thursday 09 August 2007 13:39, liz quinn wrote:
> I am a use of the GPE Suite and really enjoy it. In trying to install the
> 2.7 update (calendar, contacts, timesheet, to-do) from Application Manager
> I am getting"unable to update, Conflicting Application packages", Details
> show "Conflict with application packages: libgpevtype0"

There is no need to re-flash! Unfortunately, if you had a previous version of GPE installed, the Application Manager cannot handle the package renames.

The easiest option is to uninstall all the previous GPE packages. This will not destroy your GPE data.

If you have root access then use apt-get to remove the packages. The complete apt-get command would be (all on one line, of course):

apt-get remove gpe-calendar gpe-contacts gpe-icons gpe-timesheet gpe-todo libcontactsdb0 libeventdb0 libgcrypt11 libgnutls11 libgpepimc0 libgpevtype0 libgpewidget1 libhandoff0 libmimedir0 libopencdk8 libsoup2 libsqlite0 libtododb0 libxsettings-client0

If you do not have some of those packages installed, apt-get will complain -- just take them out of the command. Actually, you probably don't have to remove everything -- the key packages to remove before the upgrade are: libeventdb0, libgnutls11, libgpevtype0, libmimedir0 , libsoup2.

If you don't have root access, you will have to enable "red pill mode" in the Application Manager in order to see the library packages which have to be removed.

Graham
As an added comment, removing packages will almost never remove your data. *nix apps expect to only be have rights to write to your home folder, so unlike early windows programs, they don't store data all over the disk. Removing packages does not touch your home folder.

The only exception to this is if you have a system app that puts a config file in /etc/ or similar and you use 'apt-get purge' to remove it. Even in this case 'apt-get remove' or Uninstall from the application manager on the n800 will leave behind the config files.

Thanks for including his note as the list of libraries to remove did it for me. I was able to install Calendar, Contacts and todo. Thanks to the list once again. While I have only tried it one time, closing it does close. With the last version I had an endless pop-up dialog box that forced me to reboot the tablet in order to regain control.

thanks to the discussions in this thread i was able to load the newer versions of gpe calendar (etc.) and they all seem to be working properly. it was a bit of a struggle, but it helped me with my understanding of linux. my question now is what to do with all the lib*-dev programs. is there any value to loading them if i don't intend to perform any development exercises?

thanks

john

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Indeed a very good thread. Helped me to move from the kernelconcepts versions of the software to the Cobb versions. Not that i see a difference, but it was an interesting exersize.

Ton.

Thanks to 'apt-get remove ...' it removes me gpe's apps and libs ... and canola, quiver, pidgin !
But it's ok, new gpe's apps install were correct and I could reinstall canola/quiver/pidgin.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
You won't lose your configuration and data (which you can back up first anyway, it's in /home/user/.gpe).
GPE File Manager doesn't show the folder /.gpe. Could it be hidden I wonder?

Also I find GPE File Manager to be very show and unresponsive so maybe something else is up.

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
GPE File Manager doesn't show the folder /.gpe. Could it be hidden I wonder?.
Under *nix systems, a "." file IS a hidden file - that's the way to hide a file or folder, just put a "." in front of it. So yes, /home/user/.gpe is hidden. Either copy it from an X terminal, or turn on viewing hidden files in your file manager.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Thanks for the information. I have searched GPE File Manager for a setting to make hidden files visible but no luck.

What I have done is run Backup, extract the Documents.zip file on my Vista computer and navigate to the .gpe folder. The files calendar, contacts, todo and categories are all there but there are no file extensions.

The calendar information originally came from KDEPim and was in .ics format which GPE Calendar imported. In the meantime I have added entries to the GPE Calendar entries and was looking for a way to export the calendar back to the .ics format.

I would have expected GPE Calendar to have an export function.

There is a thread on Tahitibob’s great work and perhaps it is time to switch to Google Calendar and sync with that.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
Indeed a very good thread. Helped me to move from the kernelconcepts versions of the software to the Cobb versions. Not that i see a difference, but it was an interesting exersize.

Ton.
Didn't anyone notice a significant slow-down of the whole device after moving to the 2.8.1 version?
In my case this was the only change in my configuration + the gpesummary 0.7.0 (BTW didn't install the '-dev' and the gpesyncd packages). After that the whole device lagged behind and starting any program was taking much more time than usual. Didn't see any improvement by deleting all calendar entries or by uninstalling the starling and gpe-filemanager packages.

Everything went to normal after reverting to the previous version and this was a huge exercise..

I curious to know what could have caused that, if the rest don't experience this behavior..

[edit: grammar!!]