Active Topics

tried out evince. it gagged on the pdf i linked to in the original post here, took a couple minutes to open and then wouldn't scroll. i figured that as good a time as any to try out the swapping...

dd works, mkswap works. when i try to swapon i get "operation not permitted" i'm doing the "file as swap" version, not the fdisk version. i tried installing that guy's unix util deb to get fdisk and it said it was already installed, but i have no /sbin/fdisk.

whoa, looks like i don't have root/sudo privs...looking into the pain becoming root entails now

ok, i got root (linux flasher to enable r&d, overwrote the sudoers file) and i was able to enable swap

pdf reader speed didn't seem improved. opening the file took the same time, changing between pages and zooming still took forever (a matter of minutes). evince was about the same. not totally surprising since the memory meter didn't peg on these operations. it looks like opening pdfs on the 770 is going to suck bad until a better reader comes around.

boardgamegeek opened without a reboot the first time around. i was able to actually log into my account, which grants me disabled ads, a customized (smaller) front page, etc. i toggled to fullscreen mode and promptly found the browser hung. i was able to get out to the home, and after that i couldn't put focus back onto opera. i shut down the unit.

how does the cpu/mem/screenshot app bring up a task killer? i haven't found the interface for it.

still disappointed with the unit, and probably going to return it. i did enjoy digging into it a bit though, and i hope that it does well. if only it were more powerful i'd like it a little bigger too, maybe with a foldable keyboard that could wrap around the back tablet-style and support for sd cards.

Last edited by astroglide; 2006-01-05 at 05:27.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I've converted the PDF to CHM format using pdftohtml and (a trial version of) Abee chm maker. The result chm file is only about 300k. In my chm viewer on the device it only took about 5 sec. to open and also about 5 sec to switch between pages It's still not very fast, but at least better than the PDF viewer...

Last edited by henry; 2006-01-05 at 12:21.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by astroglide
still disappointed with the unit, and probably going to return it. i did enjoy digging into it a bit though, and i hope that it does well. if only it were more powerful i'd like it a little bigger too, maybe with a foldable keyboard that could wrap around the back tablet-style and support for sd cards.
Clearly it's not for you - sounds like you need to purchase a subnote laptop with your refund (or at least use it as a down payment on something like a Flybook or OQO)

Just some opinion here.

I don't think that saying an entire platforum is no good because you found a website that will crash one browser on that platorum.

Especially right now with the WMF voulmnerability, I am quite sure I can show you plenty of pages that will crash IE (and/or infect the system) on a typical laptop/OQO running XP. By your logic everybody should return thier XP laptops. (Actually, I'm starting to like your logic )

Similarly, there was recently a bug in Firefox/Mozilla where some very simple (bad) html would crash it. I am sure I can still find some page that will Bring down Mozilla on this Linux machine. :.Linux/Mozilla is also no good.

I have also seen Safari go down consistantly on certain pages on my Mac. There's going to be long lines at the Apple Store as everybody returns thier iMacs/PowerMacs/iBooks/Powerbooks.

Every page on the 'Net renders instantly and perfectly on a Treo 650 (Palm OS)? -- Yeah -- Right.

How about Windows Mobile? -- Do I even need to go there?

So if you do return your 770, just please be consistent. Let me know what device you keep. I'll buy one too.

Mobile Linux? Got That.
Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2X, Motorola A780

Please visit http://linuxslate.com/ New! Discussion boards just started.

at what point did i say the platform was no good?

i bought the device for specific reasons. #1 being reading boardgamegeek/game rule pdfs, #2 being movie review/time/info lookup on sites like rottentomatoes, yahoo movies, and imdb. #3 is everything else, misc browsing.

somewhere between boardgamegeek's design and the system's memory management, the system doesn't cut the mustard for using the site. the pdf viewer is as slow as molasses. this effectively kills reason #1, the most important thing to me. you can keep your extrapolations about mass returns/recalls of every known computing product to yourself, because it's not a valid point. what i am talking about is the product suiting MY OWN NEEDS, and nothing more.

i don't want a flybook, oqo, or laptop - i'm specifically avoiding a hard drive for battery/reliability reasons.

fwiw, it does look like the dell axim x51v is the best alternative. $400 for ~600mhz xscale with wifi/bluetooth, 256MB of rom (tons of it user-accessible), sd/cf, windows mobile 5.0. you can use a hack to get 'real' 640x480 landscape mode out of the vga display, and despite pocket ie apparently blowing snot rockets opera mobile is supposed to be released for the platform in a week or so. so i guess i'll wait and see on that.

Originally Posted by astroglide
how does the cpu/mem/screenshot app bring up a task killer? i haven't found the interface for it.
If you haven't yet gotten a (puke!) Axim, you need the experimental version of Load to do this.

i'll have to delay a bit to check out the opera for wm5 thing, and apparently i can do much better than $400 if i wait for a deal - http://www.fatwallet.com/t/24/545997 had it for $230! i'm not in a particular hurry anyway, and i would like to further research my options or hope for a big firmware release for the 770.

i'll check out the dev version of load for the task killer, thanks. i doubt i'll be returning the 770 until my 15 or 30 days at compusa are up.