Poll: How well do you know your Maemo Council
Poll Options
How well do you know your Maemo Council

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
GA, you seem to, as other council members, take offense of members not knowing what the council does or is for.
What offense? If you saw offense in my post, then you misinterpreted my tone.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm not implying anything... Just wondering.
Well, if you weren't, I'm sure other people will be.

Um, the people who pay my salary have a huge influence in how I act.
Why don't you ask the maemo.org team (X-Fade, dneary, andre, and jeremiah)?

What role does the council have when, or even if it is felt that the direction maemo.org is going is in the best interest of Nokia... and not the Maemo community?
If maemo.org were going in the best interests of Nokia instead of the community, then that direction would've been decided by the community. Besides, the assumption here seems to be that Nokia's interests and the community's interests go in the opposite direction, which is quite far from the truth.

BTW, is this forum now part of Nokia marketing? Will there be a complaint department?
We just made it clear that maemo.org is owned by the community and not Nokia, right?

Will, for instance anybody be responsible for answering to the N800 people who felt ripped off by the Navicore application or is that stuff ancient history?
As always, you want Nokia Care.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
1) maemo council or maemo community council, Maemo.org or maemo.org

Nothing is meant by my, case and there is no rhyme or reason as to when I type what. It's not my concern, I do not work for Nokia, nor am I a council member nor do I think anyone besides GA cares, but I could be wrong.

2) GA you gave a great example:

GA said:
"Maemo's participation in GSoC is a good example of how this should work. VDVsx (get that man a t-shirt!) had a plan for getting Maemo involved as a mentoring organization for GSoC this Summer, so he went ahead a put it together. He asked the council for some input and help (a quick sanity check on the idea, some help in implementing the plan, a little copy-editing on the wiki, etc.), but the council's involvement was largely peripheral. The success of the plan wasn't dependent upon the council, but we helped it along a bit and made it a bit easier and just a bit more likely to succeed.

This is how I see the council's involvement working. Not the high-profile group that comes up with the GSoC plan and implements it, but the group that helps somebody else do so—facilitators. So, no, there isn't a huge amount of fanfare about what the council does, but there doesn't need to be. If the community is growing and improving (even if you don't know we're doing it), then we're doing our job right.
"
This is exactly why I wanted you to inform the communty what roles you do play. I do not set out to define you, I am setting out for you to define yourselves and DOCUMENT it so we all know what is expected.

I honestly do not know why this was met with so much resistance.

Maemo Community Council represents the community, the community deserves to have transparency on what the Maemo Community Council does.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-04-05 at 18:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Nothing is meant by my, case and there is no rhyme or reason as to when I type what. It's not my concern, I do not work for Nokia, nor am I a council member nor do I think anyone besides GA cares, but I could be wrong.
You are wrong, but I've been the one to take up the banner on it so they've left it to me.

This is exactly why I wanted you to inform the communty what roles you do play. I do not set out to define you, I am setting out for you to define yourselves and DOCUMENT it so we all know what is expected.
This is what maemo-community and the council blog are for (this point seems to be going ignored).

I honestly do not know why this was met with so much resistance.
Because the tone when you first brought this up felt less positive than it did accusatory (and many of the people posting in the various threads have been openly hostile).

Maemo Community Council represents the community, the community deserves to have transparency on what the Maemo Community Council does.
That's why we have the sprints, maemo-community and the blog.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, if you weren't, I'm sure other people will be.

Why don't you ask the maemo.org team (X-Fade, dneary, andre, and jeremiah)?

If maemo.org were going in the best interests of Nokia instead of the community, then that direction would've been decided by the community. Besides, the assumption here seems to be that Nokia's interests and the community's interests go in the opposite direction, which is quite far from the truth.

We just made it clear that maemo.org is owned by the community and not Nokia, right?

As always, you want Nokia Care.
Wow... um, actualy I may want a different forum.....

Bottom line dude... You have not made anything clear... you dance pretty good though.

Has (or will) this forum (be)en sold by the original owner? It has a value and I doubt it will be given away...

Now if the original owners recieve(d) something for something; who provided those funds. If it was maemo.org (< little freakin' m), where did they get the funds? If it was Nokia (Are they Maemo with a big freakin' M?) how can they keep an arms length away from that org and this forum.

(I have no knowledge of the sale or value of this forum. )

Standard Disclaimer: I do realize that my poor spelling, incorrect order or omission of words, and my incorrect use of punctuation and capitalization at times may indicate to some how incredibly stupid I am. However, please don't waste my time by re-stating this in a reply and in doing so avoid addressing the questions that have been raised.
Time is just as valuable to us stupid and ignorant people as it is to you pompous and well informed ones.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
GA, you seem to, as other council members, take offense of members not knowing what the council does or is for.
No offense has been taken by me or GeneralAntilles.

All I was asking for is it to be defined in a location and give some information about what the councile is for.
Certainly, my explanations were an attempt to see if the information I was giving would satisfy your questions (which may well embody those of other people). If it did, then the information was suitable for wider publication (apart from the mass dissemination it already had here and maemo-community).

Again people need to separate the feelings from the feedback. I was only pointing out it was unclear. If it was unclear to me, as a fairly resourceful member, perhaps it was confusing for others also.
Don't assume people are getting upset or offended. It's offensive to me to have people think I might be so easily upset by what I read on the Internet ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Bottom line dude... You have not made anything clear... you dance pretty good though.
Communication is a two-way street: explaining and listening. Perhaps GeneralAntilles' explanation hasn't been clear enough for you, or you still have questions - but don't accuse him of being untruthful or evasive.

Has (or will) this forum (be)en sold by the original owner? It has a value and I doubt it will be given away...
No (and this is for the bazillionth time): Reggie still owns it and runs this forum. Nokia are paying for it; it is coming under the community-owned maemo.org "brand", but nothing else.

If Reggie feels that his site has suffered from the move, I'm sure Nokia won't take offense if he re-instates the adverts; refuses their money and goes back to being "internettablettalk.com" instead of "talk.maemo.org".

Now if the original owners recieve(d) something for something; who provided those funds. If it was maemo.org (< little freakin' m), where did they get the funds? If it was Nokia (Are they Maemo with a big freakin' M?) how can they keep an arms length away from that org and this forum.
There are countless examples in the Real World[TM] of people being independent from the entities which may otherwise fund them. The UK Government helps the BBC collect the licence fee - but the BBC is still fiercely independent.

To suggest that Andre, Niels, Dave and Jeremiah have a conflict of interest suggests that there is some kind of conflict between Nokia and the community. There is not.

(I have no knowledge of the sale or value of this forum. )
If you have no idea, please ask questions in a less accusatory manner; and refer back to the original announcement and the numerous other threads where all the above questions have been asked (and answered) before.

It's certainly off-topic for a council thread.

Time is just as valuable to us stupid and ignorant people as it is to you pompous and well informed ones.
It is ironic, then, that you insist on revisiting old ground with potentially-scare-mongering questions ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
No transaction is done. Actually little changes are done: the URL and the theme. The rest stays just the same. Believe it or not.

The big change is actually happening in maemo.org, going from the one and only official website for Maemo to a purely community driven site. Believe it or not. Probably easier to believe when you see maemo.nokia.com popping up for end users and Forum Nokia gathering all the official deliveries for developers.

What I fail to see is the relation between your question and the Council, but since this thread is to clarify things I thought it would be worth answering.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That's why we have the sprints, maemo-community and the blog.
And, if you are interested in how the community operates, the April 2009 sprint meeting is being held tomorrow (Monday): 2009-04-06T13:30Z:

Full details here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Spri...ril_09/Meeting

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Well, I would respond, but instead I'll refer you to the Thanks! at the bottom of Jaffa's post and the post I made earlier in the thread.