Watch movies (Blu-ray rips in XViD format, around 1,7GB in size) and since it has UPnP/DLNA and FM transmitter, a great music player. Watching TV-series is also very nice, since 27GB is enough to fill a lot of episodes. 25min comedy shows are 175MB and 50min drama/etc. are 380MB.

The n900 makes a very good security pen tester. If you are running a network at home then check out its vulnerability. See http://www.neopwn.com/

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
You could install Android and use it as an Android tablet (dual boot of course) - there is such a vast range of software to choose from in the Android Market (free and paid for) which sadly doesn't exist for the N900, the sheer wealth of games alone should keep you entertained for as long as the N900 holds out...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
http://maemo.org/packages/view/cmt-firmware-rx51/

CMT = cellular modem terminal. My phone can no longer receive any telephone signals, and such is not actually a phone anymore. I actually pointed this out in my first post.

[...]
May I ask, what makes you so sure about it? What tests have you done? Is it possible, that the SIM card holder became lose? Have you already tried if it's the same with another SIM card? Have you tried the SIM in another phone? Have you checked for dust inside? I recently bought a second N900 on Ebay. Everything's fine with it, but it was really dirty inside, so it's not impossible at least... Have you tried reflashing the device? Sorry, if you wrote that somewhere, but I haven't found anything like that yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I was under the impesssion that all N900's were covered by a 24 month, not 12 month warrenty, world wide, have you tried taking it to a Nokia Care Centre for advice?

Failing which how about asking the community for some help as this seems a very unusual problem for the N900?

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
In the interests of saving my Internet cred, here's what I posted in another thread:

Hey guys, just reporting my own experience with this issue in the hope that someone can shed some light on a possible solution. Initially my phone was regularly reporting the No SIM error, then reconnecting soon afterwards. The next day I received this very error, and reboots/battery pulls did not fix the issue.

Since then I have reflashed the eMMC and the OS, however the OS flash hangs at "CMT flashing failed". As a result, I attempted to reinstall the cmt-firmware-rx51 over the top of the existing firmware via xterm. after a reboot this alleviated the situation momentarily, however after another reboot the problem resurfaced. Subsequent reinstalls have not fixed it.

I really don't imagine I would do well with dismantling my phone, but other than sending the phone away for repair (now out of warranty), is there anything else left to try?
After making this post, I spoke to Nokia Care Australia. I already knew my phone was out of warranty (had been purchased as an import, 12 month warranty from retailer) however given that my phone was an import, Nokia Care would not even guarantee that they could fix the phone at all.

I waited a few days and after finding no response on TMO, I purchased a new phone. I consider that to be a reasonable series of events.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I've got some good stuff out of it and I'll see where I can put the phone to good use. Would be a shame to simply let it gather dust.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010

CMT = cellular modem terminal. My phone can no longer receive any telephone signals, and such is not actually a phone anymore. I actually pointed this out in my first post.

I strongly recommend you understand what you are talking about before commenting.
Why don't you try to understand your device instead of coming on here saying it has stopped working and want to find another use for it, simple answer surely would be to get it working again?.

In the interests of saving my Internet cred, here's what I posted in another thread:

After making this post, I spoke to Nokia Care Australia. I already knew my phone was out of warranty (had been purchased as an import, 12 month warranty from retailer) however given that my phone was an import, Nokia Care would not even guarantee that they could fix the phone at all.

I waited a few days and after finding no response on TMO, I purchased a new phone. I consider that to be a reasonable series of events.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I've got some good stuff out of it and I'll see where I can put the phone to good use. Would be a shame to simply let it gather dust.
Why didn't you give this explanation in the first place then you would have got people at least on the right track! to say someone does not know what they are talking about is silly when they do not know what is wrong in the first place !.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Surely you could just give people the benefit of the doubt? Unless you're simply predisposed to assuming that people are by and large dishonest/stupid. If this is the case, I feel sorry for you.

In any case, you're taking discussion off-topic, it'd be nice if you stopped.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:

I strongly recommend you understand what you are talking about before commenting.
It is because of this post you made and i think i am safe to say i know just a little bit about the N900 !.

You said you want to save your internet cred but your prepared to shoot someone down in flames accusing them of not knowing or understanding what they are talking about, all it took was a proper explanation of your symptoms so yes is is on topic.

PS good luck with your device i hope you can use it better when MeeGo is established by the hard working members of this community, that was my point.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-04-06 at 05:03.