Notices

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by dimkit View Post
For all of you , who are facing problem with the installation .
JUST BE PATIENT. When you press the dowload button , it takes some time about 2 or 3 minutes , for the application manager to open ...
In order to check that the download has started, just open conky and check if the rootfs space is reducing.
Or just open menu -> downloads and you see the progress of the download.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kalle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
That means that MicroB is handling the download, not Application Manager... And the reason it is not using the MyDocs cache... Interesting approach.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
i just managed to download it two times. god dammit with this sht. is there any bug report aboout this download window not popping up for downloads?

.edit
And yes it said on second time that rootfs is too full so again nokia has manage to fck this up on too many levels. btw. is it really so that i can't change my credit card details only then when i choose to buy something?

Now i try to enjoy this game. We can just wait and see how new angry users start to come here asking why they can install this. oh my dear.

Last edited by slender; 2010-06-17 at 06:33.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
game doesnt show in 'games' category but in recommended??
I went to Games and then sorted by Best Sellers, and it shows 2 games. Angry Birds Level Pack 1, and Zen Bound

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Düsseldorf
hehe MicroB downloaded ~47 MB and the AppManager says 13Kb

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
That means that MicroB is handling the download, not Application Manager... And the reason it is not using the MyDocs cache... Interesting approach.
Interesting approach? IMHO it's yet ANOTHER failure of OVI and the Maemo team. I've tried to stick with Maemo for so long now, made it to the top community members page by trying to give so much to the community, and have to encounter Nokia major failures again and again. Are these guys a bunch of incompetents? Freakish engineers with zero interest in end-user experience? I'm willing to buy these games (got Angy Birds Level 1, love it), but they make me fail again and again

The OVI store:
  • Is many months too late
  • Deceived everybody when it stopped paid apps earlier in the year
  • Has a confusing and mainly unusable navigation
  • Stopped accepting my registered credit card that worked well months ago and only accepts it after registering it with the same exact data again.
  • Has no way to properly handle large downloads such as Zen bound - I got the same error as the ones posted above, about /var/tmp being full. App manager never came up.

At work, I've done iPhone/iPad development during the last two months. While I still don't like the closed, paternal approach of Apple at all, at least they get the technical things and user experience done right. Nokia, WAKE UP!

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Interesting approach? IMHO it's yet ANOTHER failure of OVI and the Maemo team. I've tried to stick with Maemo for so long now, made it to the top community members page by trying to give so much to the community, and have to encounter Nokia major failures again and again. Are these guys a bunch of incompetents? Freakish engineers with zero interest in end-user experience? I'm willing to buy these games (got Angy Birds Level 1, love it), but they make me fail again and again

The OVI store:
  • Is many months too late
  • Deceived everybody when it stopped paid apps earlier in the year
  • Has a confusing and mainly unusable navigation
  • Stopped accepting my registered credit card that worked well months ago and only accepts it after registering it with the same exact data again.
  • Has no way to properly handle large downloads such as Zen bound - I got the same error as the ones posted above, about /var/tmp being full. App manager never came up.

At work, I've done iPhone/iPad development during the last two months. While I still don't like the closed, paternal approach of Apple at all, at least they get the technical things and user experience done right. Nokia, WAKE UP!
"Interesting approach" was my way of saying "plainly stupid"...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
It's probably not put in the repository because of how insecure the Ovi repository is. I'm not joking: It took me 10 seconds to make HAM show packages from the Ovi store (I didn't even need to build my own version for this) because I closed my Ovi account due to the My Nokia **** and the arrogance of their "it'd be in your best interests" fill-this-survey-in email I recieved.

Still... I'm not sure the deb approach is any better... as has been said before, debs are easy to redistribute and HAM will at least clean up the cache after install.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
The problem is that the file is being downloaded to rootfs. Who doesn't have 46MB free will not be able to download it.

** Editted because this might be used for piracy.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-06-17 at 08:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Both things are a problem, not detecting the same download on second click is at least one more. Not presenting any visual clue to the user while downloading is major usability fail.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: