Active Topics

I wonder if the N9 will be able to take advantage of the new AT&t $60 unlimited prepaid plan (unlimited talk, text and data), they say only works with feature phones

You may have to pick up a feature phone and use it for the config, and potentially change your N9's useragent to the same as your featurephone.

On the N900, at least, that's easily doable. I don't know about the N9.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
You may have to pick up a feature phone and use it for the config, and potentially change your N9's useragent to the same as your featurephone.
Be careful with that plan as GoPhone SIMs lock to the phone in which they are activated. Also, according to AT&T customer service, all GoPhone phone + SIM kits ordered from att.com come already locked. The locks automatically break after six months, but that's a long time to wait to use a better phone.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Be careful with that plan as GoPhone SIMs lock to the phone in which they are activated. Also, according to AT&T customer service, all GoPhone phone + SIM kits ordered from att.com come already locked. The locks automatically break after six months, but that's a long time to wait to use a better phone.
Sushhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
I have been using the walmart straight talk on my n900 for a while and works superbly, tried the sim on my friends new iphone 4 (amazingly it activated thru itunes ), so certain that the N9 would work if I ever can get one.
Shhhhhh.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I have been using the walmart straight talk on my n900 for a while and works superbly, tried the sim on my friends new iphone 4 (amazingly it activated thru itunes ), so certain that the N9 would work if I ever can get one.
And I use a GoPhone SIM in my N900, N950, and Blackberry 9700. I purchased the SIM on eBay and activated it in my N900 though. The SIM may have been locked to my N900 for the first six months; I couldn't tell. I didn't have any other GSM phones during that time.

I'm just warning people what might happen if they activate a GoPhone SIM in a cheap feature phone and then try putting the SIM in an N9. Finding the SIM had locked to an unwanted phone would be a let down.

More on topic, I rather wish T-Mobile would stay independent, as I like the direction they've been heading with their plans. If they'd offer similar deals with far fewer minutes--and establish a new roaming agreement with AT&T--I might just be convinced to sign two years of my life away.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
And I use a GoPhone SIM in my N900, N950, and Blackberry 9700. I purchased the SIM on eBay and activated it in my N900 though. The SIM may have been locked to my N900 for the first six months; I couldn't tell. I didn't have any other GSM phones during that time.

I'm just warning people what might happen if they activate a GoPhone SIM in a cheap feature phone and then try putting the SIM in an N9. Finding the SIM had locked to an unwanted phone would be a let down.

More on topic, I rather wish T-Mobile would stay independent, as I like the direction they've been heading with their plans. If they'd offer similar deals with far fewer minutes--and establish a new roaming agreement with AT&T--I might just be convinced to sign two years of my life away.
ohh ok I get your point now, I myself was with Tmobile for a very long time worked for them too. I moved to a rural america and I just could not justify myself paying tmobile about 25dollars for a gprs connection(they did not even have the edge) while att or its subsidies were offering 3g. I would go back to them once they flip the switch for 3g on the places I work and play.

I highly doubt they can lock your phone just by inserting their SIM..

Originally Posted by Radu View Post
I highly doubt they can lock your phone just by inserting their SIM..
I'm not saying the phone locks. I'm saying that according to numerous online sources and AT&T's customer service itself, GoPhone SIMs lock to the phone in which they are activated. The activating phone will continue to work with other SIMs, but the GoPhone SIM will work only in that phone for six months.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
I completely agree with you, the even more plans they had for a while were affordable plans for those that text but dont make many calls. Basically, exactly what I would like to see more from other carriers.

I'm not saying the phone locks. I'm saying that according to numerous online sources and AT&T's customer service itself, GoPhone SIMs lock to the phone in which they are activated. The activating phone will continue to work with other SIMs, but the GoPhone SIM will work only in that phone for six months.
Why would they do that? I mean, what if your phone break and you want to switch the phone? If it doesn't work, they will end up with a pissed customer and lost money.