Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Absolutely fine with that :-)
Extremely appreciated. It's funny: I proposed to Olavi Toivianen almost to a T what you describe, when I was in Santa Clara last December (I had not seen your work). He lit up like a kid in a candy store. Don't know the last time I saw a Finn so excited.

EDIT: a caveat-- what about an additonal field besides suggested donation, for Actual Donation? The user would enter his/her own value.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-28 at 05:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
70% of nothing = 100% appreciation
I wish nokia would also set a donate button for those who make free apps.

That is a definitely a good idea . . . . Additionally you can offer a FREE and a PRO version of your apps . . . If people like your apps they will most likely go pro!

Also advertising on Apps???!?!?!?

we need to wait for nokia to have billing arrangement with mobile carrier. By doing so, the entire billing process will become more seamless to end users, i.e. end users would have less hassle to pay if you are willing to.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Why wait on Nokia? We can do it ourselves on maemo.org, if people like my (pragmatic) idea for micro-donations on maemo.org.

Yeah, no-one realised that apt-get would work. I'm guessing we'll get per-user virtual repositories, with the Packages file limited to those apps which have been "downloaded"/bought through the web UI. Not foolproof for preventing piracy, but probably Good Enough[TM].

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
When the application itself is the value, the lack of DRM *is* discouraging for commercial developers, because it makes it easy to part the developer from the value. That's why THIS PARTICULAR business model prefers DRM. The number of people who realize just what DRM is is so little the 'upside' of gaining 'educated' customers is just not worth it from a financial standpoint. Today, if you want to forego DRM, you have to opt for a different business model - fighting DRM head on with this business model will lead nowhere.
I must disagree with this. When people are trusted, they tend to be more honest. But when they treated as potential thieves, they tend be more dishonest.

Let's take the vegetable/fruit department in a grocery store as an example. In some cultures the customer is trusted and he can himself weigh the product and put the price sticker on it. On other cultures the customer is distrusted so he is not allowed to do this in an uncontrolled manner. The interesting thing is that in those places where to customer is mistrusted, they seem to behave in a more dishonest way when an opportunity arises for it, compared to the places where the customer is trusted. Sure, there will always be those who will stick an extra apple after weighing them, but the cost benefit of not having any extra checks in place outweigh the losses caused by these few who behave dishonestly.

Now I believe the same applies with DRM. Will people stop paying for products as soon as they found out that they are not protected and can be, technically, freely copied? Some, no doubt, will. But how big of a percentage of potential customers will it be? Ditching DRM does not necessary reduce sells. Look at the music industry.

Anyway, these are only my personal opinions. No need to take them too seriously.

went thru the whole topic but i did not found any details for themes and wallpapers. can we create themes and sell them on ovi store ?
if yes wat r da steps ?

please assist ..