Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Thanks Ed. After the Star Trek TNG theme ruined the default icons on my N800, I reflashed it with OS2007 again and spent hours setting it up with applications again. Anyway, once a OS2008 port of Evince is available I'll reflash and test it out.

BTW: My development skills are only rudimentary C/C++/x86assembly and Bash scripting and Visual Basic. I accidentally signed up for the project as a developer. But I have beta tested many projects in the past, mainly emulators.

I'm really looking forward to having Evince (full file format support, and rotate) running on OS2008!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It's available for os2008, up and running on my n810. What is the command to look which repository you've got a package from?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Zoom in/out and fullscreen buttons do not work, but this is better than nothing :-)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Does this still work in order to install/allow cbr/cbz files on 2008?

Originally Posted by senuxis
I've fixed it. I had to update my mime information after following your guide by installing this file (http://www.maemo.org.br/platform/apt...ndt1_armel.deb) from the terminal with the following command as root:
dpkg -i file
The only problem I can think of is the fact that unrar isn't compiled yet for OS2008. This is confirmed to have worked for OS2006 and OS2007HE for my 770, but I've yet to attempt it on my N810.

*EDIT: OOPS... missed the second page where Ed answers that... dude, thanks. Now I'm happy as well...

Last edited by gerbick; 2008-01-12 at 23:36.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I reflashed my N800 yet again, this time with OS2008 in order to try the 2.21.1-1.maemo1 build of Evince out.

Both PDF and DJVU open using the new build, and as mentioned before, full screen and zoom buttons currently don't work.

Full screen via the menu works, but I'm unable to leave full screen via the full screen button ... had to use the Menu key to deselect full screen from the menu. Zoom in/out also works via the Menu button's menu.

Unable to change pages via Scroll keys.

Thanks Ed!!

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-01-13 at 00:06.

Evince is in the extras-devel repo. Anyone grabbing it from there will probably want to disable that repo after the install, as you don't want your other software updating from there.

Thanks, Ed, this is fantastic! I'm trying out a few formats, I'll post the bugs to the bugtracker as I find them (I can confirm those posted OSEmuTech). It already seems to be running much faster than the 2007 version did (possibly due to the N800 itself being faster), and has better support for file formats.

OSEmuTech, if you change to Continuous mode then you'll be able to change pages via the scroll key, but I can confirm that it doesn't change pages when you get to the bottom in non-continuous mode.

Last edited by cashel; 2008-01-14 at 01:13.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Even if the hw fullscreen button doesn't work, there is a fullscreen button in the menu.

Hi all,

I'm sorry for delay, I should've been posted something here as soon as I uploaded packages into repo.

First of all thank you for your positive feedback. I didn't expect that people are so eager to help. Thank you!

Now to business:
For testers/users I'd really appreciate if you would post bugs/feature requests to the project: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/evince/ If you do this your findings will not be forgotten at least.

I also would like to see which formats are supported and which are not and if there is a need in them. Me personally have checked PDF, Djvu and cbr. If you check the others and report found issues to bug/feature request tracker it would be really great. You can find list of potentially supported formats here: http://live.gnome.org/Evince/SupportedDocumentFormats

Answers for your questions:
debernardis:
It's in extras-devel. You can find one-click install here: http://evince.garage.maemo.org/evince-devel.install

teree: A bit of explanations: This is development version, even more this is first working build. It means that evince garage team is still working on it.
Unsupported hw keys is a known bug: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...=547&atid=2062, and I hope it will be fixed soon. If you have suggestions on this feel free to comment in the bug (or here).

gerbick: I put all dependencies (software which evince depends on) into the same repository. unrar was in this list. What I'm thinking about is to may be put ghostscript there for postsctirpt support. Hovewer, I'm not sure postscript is needed for average tablet user.

Status and plans:
Status: For the first development build it's quite ok, main file formats are supported and build is useable.

Plans:
Main goal for now is to make & release stable version as soon as possible, so any suggestions what should be in there are welcome.
I think that at least all 3 already reported bugs: 1972, 1973 and 1974 should be fixed before releasing evince to the public (remember this is first development build ). Thank you Dan and Dustin for reporting them.

Last edited by Ed_; 2008-01-13 at 12:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed_ For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot, it is absolutely usable (tried PDF and djvu). It also remembers last page for the files, great.

Note that on a n810 +/- works for zoom in and out. Also space/enter/D-pad's button for forward a page, shift+these is backward a page. I prefer this arrangement to the previous ones on os2006/2007.

There could be some minor improvements, I am sure they will come in due time.

Thanks again, it is really great.

Regards,
Attila

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
What is the command to look which repository you've got a package from?
apt-cache policy packagename
Will tell you which version is installed and where you can find a candidate for installation, given your current sources list.
But afterwards, you can't know anymore where you downloaded a package.