I'm thinking the same thing. I kinda wanted something with a physical keyboard. If Archos is coming out with new tablets then I'll probably wait.

My main reason to switch is Google bought Gizmo5 and then paid for my number for the next 5 years. I was using my n810 as a phone for over a year now and have been relatively satisfied with it. I had my old cell number ported to it.

But now it seems Gizmo5 is going to be phased out- which would mean I should probably get an Android device to use their native google voice app instead of the web interface.

Also I wanted a gps device and Wayfinder is now dead. I was looking at the Meego project for n8x0 devices but I don't think I'd be able to use my old gizmo5 app with Meego.

I'm surprised there's no official n900 support for Meego either. Also flash 10.1 support on Android devices now that Google & Adobe are best friends XD

Originally Posted by DJ-VAN View Post
My main reason to switch is Google bought Gizmo5 and then paid for my number for the next 5 years. I was using my n810 as a phone for over a year now and have been relatively satisfied with it. I had my old cell number ported to it.

But now it seems Gizmo5 is going to be phased out- which would mean I should probably get an Android device to use their native google voice app instead of the web interface.
There are Google Voice apps for Maemo, including DialCentral for N8x0. When Google Voice adds VoIP, it's possible that some or all of these programs may get enhanced. I doubt that it will be necessary to get an Android device just for that feature.

Also I wanted a gps device and Wayfinder is now dead. I was looking at the Meego project for n8x0 devices but I don't think I'd be able to use my old gizmo5 app with Meego.
What about MaemoMapper? That's good enough for me. (There is also qtMapper.)

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Considering the company which stands behind it, i cannot understand how people can choose to go Android. Really.

been thinking about getting this also to replace my n810, but then I saw this recently and it looks good also.
http://carrypad.com/2010/06/24/huawe...ievable-price/

best part is that it's only 354.99
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=199911

Looks like i'll wait for some reviews to see how thing go.

The Following User Says Thank You to bxbomber For This Useful Post:
@bxbomber
That looks like a great deal. I was hoping for a 5in tablet. If there really is a wifi only version of the dell streak that's probably what I'll get. Or whatever archos comes out with.

Edit:
That looks like a great deal. It runs standard android too- I've been doing a lot of reading and because android is free a lot of these manufacturers like motorola, htc, & dell add their own custom skin over android which slows down the release of updates (because there is no skin engine they basically make custom roms). This tablet just runs the standard version of android which is great- because the standard version of android doesn't need skins anymore because google improved the UI (Scratch that- it has a skin over it too..). The archos 5 has this problem- since its a custom rom its missing google market place- it requires a hack to add that. It is also still stuck on android 1.6 because of the whole custom rom thing.

Only thing I gotta find out if there's anyway to turn off the 3g radio since I won't be using it. Maybe I'll wait til I use up all my call out credits for Gizmo5 which will probably be by the end of the summer.

@buurmas
I tried maemomapper a year ago- from what I remember it required I download the directions ahead of time. I followed the navi developement for a bit since that could use garmin maps- but it seems they've moved on to maemo5. Since then I've given up trying to use my n810 as a gps. Do any apps allow text messages on maemo4? Because the native google voice app does and google maps w/ street view looks great.

I haven't looked into qtmapper but I'll have to check it out. Flash 10 still isn't available on the N900 so that's why I'm leaning more towards android. Also even the g1 still gets updates- I figure the product life on android devices is a little bit better...

Last edited by DJ-VAN; 2010-06-27 at 18:22.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
OMG, NOT AGAIN!

This is about the fifth Android-related thread I found here...
I'm beginning to think Google is paying for people to advertise its garbage.

This stuff is an obvious flamebait.
As with the others, it is placed in the wrong section of the forum.

Anyways, why should I care?

Nope I been here for over a year. I ended up getting the n810 after looking for a gps on slickdeals.net a year and a half ago.

I remember reading that huge thread last summer about how the n810 was getting an upgrade to maemo5 and then how that was scrapped, and then how Mer was going to backport some stuff so that it could add similar features- and then that was scrapped as well.

Then I read about Meego being ported but the hardware support for all the features isn't really there yet. Then I read about NITDroid- same deal XD.

Really I wouldn't care if I could continue using gizmo5 but they got bought by Google <_<

Not having flash 10 is kinda minor issue- but then I've never really been able to use the gps on this thing, I bought a lifetime license off ebay for the Europe instead of the US by mistake- and I've tried the other gps alternatives and none of them were really "polished" finished products.

Was just reading on Engadget the n900 can run froyo...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/h...through-froyo/

NITDroid is still based on 1.6. I don't think its a total loss because I was able to get by using the n810 as a cellphone for a year so the money I saved I guess I could go out and buy a new internet tablet that has free gps.

Edit:
LOL I can't win XD. Was just doing some reading and it seems that the google maps navigator doesn't allow offline cache. It basically can't work without an internet connection. Ovi maps can apparently do this:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...c4449d3e&hl=en

Last edited by DJ-VAN; 2010-06-27 at 19:10.

@bxbomber
That looks like a great deal. I was hoping for a 5in tablet. If there really is a wifi only version of the dell streak that's probably what I'll get. Or whatever archos comes out with.

Edit:
That looks like a great deal. It runs standard android too- I've been doing a lot of reading and because android is free a lot of these manufacturers like motorola, htc, & dell add their own custom skin over android which slows down the release of updates (because there is no skin engine they basically make custom roms). This tablet just runs the standard version of android which is great- because the standard version of android doesn't need skins anymore because google improved the UI (Scratch that- it has a skin over it too..). The archos 5 has this problem- since its a custom rom its missing google market place- it requires a hack to add that. It is also still stuck on android 1.6 because of the whole custom rom thing.

Only thing I gotta find out if there's anyway to turn off the 3g radio since I won't be using it. Maybe I'll wait til I use up all my call out credits for Gizmo5 which will probably be by the end of the summer.
check out the video again, it does have a customized version of android 2.1

my only worrries with this device are, will it get android 2.2, dell already said that the streak will get 2.2 so a wifi only version will be great.

and two, how much space for apps is there? don't want to be limited because it doesn't come with internal hd space.
another reason why 2.2 is so important.it'll finally allow to install apps to the sd card.

besides that it looks nice, i'll wait to see some reviews on it.

Cyanogen will probably pick up the dell streak. I remember when I rooted a G1 for a buddy of mine a year ago everyone recommended his roms when the hot thing was HTC's Jachero rom.

A year later Cyanogen's roms are still the best: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

So I guess I'll just wait for the dell streak then. Kinda bummed out that Google Maps Navigator doesn't allow for offline caching. Ovi Maps does but that doesn't help my n810.

Andnav2 apparently supported free turn by turn directions- but they stopped development probably because of Google's free GPS offering.

Archos also requires a quick hack to use Google Market Place. The Archos gps is a paid service- with the market place hack you can download google maps, but the turn by turn directions have a configuration issue with this device- it turns down the volume on the mixer when giving directions, which turns down the volume on everything. The only way around this is using headphones or a headset.

The voip solution for android would work in my case since I still have a Gizmo5 account- other people have to use sipgate which apparently has a 3-5 second delay. The Google Voice app still requires a call out service as I understand it. I guess my n810 isn't that bad after all XD. If I could get wayfinder working I might hang on to it.

Do any apps allow text messages on maemo4? Because the native google voice app does and google maps w/ street view looks great.
Yes, DialCentral displays your text messages just like the Google Voice site and will allow you to send them as well. You can either reply to a received message or go to one of your contacts and type & send it there.

Tags
blow me, delete me, worstthreadever