Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
I wonder how nimble Nokia is, as in, how quickly it can respond to an invasion of the market space it's carved out with the NITs. I speak of the recurring rumor of a Atom powered, larger displayed device coming from a certain company based in Cupertino. It's bad enough as it is, at least by and between the unwashed, with the comparisons between the currently available device-which-shall-remain-unnamed and the n8x0. I'm a long time NIT owner, (770, running OS2008SE right now), but a new comer to the community, and to be honest I didn't pay a lot of attention to the market's evolution (aside from occasionally drooling). So, I ask those of you who have been in attendance for longer than I....is there evidence either way; that our friends in Finland can and do respond to market pressures, or is their development cycle more or less fixed?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
I don't really know anything about marketing, but these atom-powered umpc's are on a different level than the NIT's... I dont see them taking away from the NIT's user base until those umpcs' prices drop, by which time Nokia will probably have bumped up the specs of their tablets to a comparable level - providing they continue their line of tablets.

Looky what I've found. May of been posted before, but is this the "N900" that's suppose to come out in December 2008? http://www.nokiausa.com/A4431196

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
That page show me just a bunch of accessories...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The answer is no.

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
I wonder how nimble Nokia is, as in, how quickly it can respond to an invasion of the market space it's carved out with the NITs. I speak of the recurring rumor of a Atom powered, larger displayed device coming from a certain company based in Cupertino. It's bad enough as it is, at least by and between the unwashed, with the comparisons between the currently available device-which-shall-remain-unnamed and the n8x0. I'm a long time NIT owner, (770, running OS2008SE right now), but a new comer to the community, and to be honest I didn't pay a lot of attention to the market's evolution (aside from occasionally drooling). So, I ask those of you who have been in attendance for longer than I....is there evidence either way; that our friends in Finland can and do respond to market pressures, or is their development cycle more or less fixed?
I hadn't heard of that recently (specifically the atom-based tablet bit), but if it's coming from Cupertino, expect it to be way spendy. It's gonna make the Aussies and Japs look cheap.

I'm not real sure why they'd do that anyway; ARM Cortex seems more suitable for an iTablet, to me. But whatever they do, there's not gonna be a whole lot of overlap because of the price difference, I think.

That page show me just a bunch of accessories...
Opps, http://www.nokiausa.com/A4954123

I want it because I like the colors better than my regular N810.

It's very much been posted before, and if you examine the page quite closely, you'll see that it says "N810 WiMAX Edition". It was due out end of second quarter, but with Xohm issues, speculation is that it'll be a while...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Fire Hazard View Post
Opps, http://www.nokiausa.com/A4954123

I want it because I like the colors better than my regular N810.
Oh that one... That's been known for some time... It is the N810 but with additional WiMax radio. It is not the "N900".

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
??? Fire Hazard, you do realize that thats the N810W right. Its just a N810 with WiMax and orange/black. It will only be sold in areas with Wimax, but if you really want it for the colors, you must have enough money to not care. If thats what your firend hinted abouut, I hope you realize that it was on the front page of this very site a few weeks ago!

Edit: Was too slow, looks like two people beat me!