Active Topics

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Cute

Malta is a superpower country with a great government. The streets are all paved well. You won't find one single bump. It is like driving on air here.

We also felt the need to help Greece due to their economic problems. So we borrowed 30 million euros I think from outer countries to loan them to Greece. Is that a good government or what ?
::Gets on Soap box::

I hate to even get into this but considering the amount of roads in your country it would not be hard to have them nice and paved. at 300km2 its about 9% the size of our smallest state. Infact america has 70 cities that are larger then your county. Also the IMF paid 40 Billion to Greece bailout. America funds 20% of the IMF so America gave 8 Billion.

::Gets off Soap box::

Also we really need to get this topic back on subjet.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Americans are the most nationalist people ever.
Do you own a TV? I do. I think it's from China, not sure though 'cause I'm a stupid American. Anyway, if you own a TV, maybe you've seen the Olympics; it's on every other year now. On that stage of equals, do Americans really seem more nationalistic than everyone else? Don't confuse corporate controlled news media with a general population.

They don't like or care about anything that comes from outside the US.
[rummages through house and garage]

Nope, except for some of my food, a few tools, and maybe two pieces of furniture, I couldn't find anything that comes from inside the U.S.

Some of them don't even know where European countries are...
You're being too kind; it's much worse than that. Some of us Americans actually think we're free. It's the most powerful delusion going. Because of this, free-to-be-stupid is a right, not a privilege, and it's killing us. But I'm not sure that applies to most Americans on a user forum about Finnish products manufactured in South Korea.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
::Gets on Soap box::

I hate to even get into this but considering the amount of roads in your country it would not be hard to have them nice and paved. at 300km2 its about 9% the size of our smallest state. Infact america has 70 cities that are larger then your county. Also the IMF paid 40 Billion to Greece bailout. America funds 20% of the IMF so America gave 8 Billion.

::Gets off Soap box::

Also we really need to get this topic back on subjet.
I don't know if you got it. But that was sarcasm. The roads are horrible here. And the government is worse.

And I have nothing wrong in general with Americans. Computers are basically thanks to America.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I've moved the ethnocentrism posts here as they were off-topic in the thread in which they developed. For now, I'm allowing this discussion to continue; however, this appears to be a thread that could turn ugly, or to politics, quickly. Please try to avoid that. Thank you.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
I think the main problem for Nokia is that whenever english speaking people talk about them, they usually mention that they are finnish... and then people think "oh that's too bad they made some really nice phones... ah well then I'll just have to buy an iPhone or an Android..."

Goddamn finns!!!!!!!!!!

If they didn't produce Jari Litmanen, I'd be a lot angrier

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Americans are the most nationalist people ever.
I see what you did there, trying to make someone else Godwin the thread, eh?

Anyhow, I don't need Hitler to serve as an example of nationalism -- practically any nation worth talking about before 1800 will do nicely. Europe's relative lack of nationalism, regardless of whether you consider it good or bad, is factually a fairly recent deviation from historical precedent. (You should realize this if you'd learned anything about history; I'd rather have a good knowledge of my own nation's history than global geography, though fortunately I didn't have to choose, and even have a good helping of world history to boot.)

Some of them don't even know where European countries are...
I could ask if you know where American states are (and I imagine you know some, but not all, like I do European states), but that's not the point. You conflate nationalism and ignorance. Nationalism is an attitude, a value, it's orthogonal to knowing (or not knowing) facts.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Excellent modding.

Originally Posted by Brunorange View Post
I think the main problem for Nokia is that whenever english speaking people talk about them, they usually mention that they are finnish... and then people think "oh that's too bad they made some really nice phones... ah well then I'll just have to buy an iPhone or an Android..."
I suspect Nokia's whole problem is the US carriers. Nokia wants to maintain its brand prominence, which the carriers try to brush aside in favor of their own. As a result, you only find carriers offering a subset of Nokia's lines and none of their highest end devices.

And sadly, pretty much every other handset maker is happily complicit, which sucks.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I didn't know there were other countries apart from America? Where is Romania? Is that east Texas?
you will like: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...tech-bloggers/