Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by drbytes View Post
Don't be like this. I just want to inform
I'm sorry guys,... I'm no fanboy.. just a down-to-earth user of a mobile platform
Hey, how do Google Docs and GMail work for you?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Central Valley, California, USA
Originally Posted by drbytes View Post
...HUGE screen...
...and the screen is (howard stern soundclip) HUUUUUUUUUUGE...
...nothing beats this screen...
...it's got a digital compass and big *ss screen...
...HUGE f'kin screen...
...huuuuuuuge screen and fast rendering times...
After reading your review I have just one question: what do you think about the screen?

In all honesty though, I don't mind WM either. I have 6.1 with SPB Shell on my smartphone and I like it a lot. People can get insane about it (I read a review that compared WM to "Satan (pooping) inside a cell phone) but WM has its strengths, runs my favorite mobile browser ever - Skyfire - and is nice to look at when shelled over or otherwise granted a UI like TouchFlo 3D.

That said, I love the elegance and ease of use found within my N810's Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lschumanfcoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, the point of the OP it seems to me is that a selling point beats an abstraction. Like, you can talk about openness all day long, but not many people (besides us) are going to buy a phone for openness. Multitasking maybe, but a really good browser, now you're talking about something specific that someone can understand and use, and a huge screen, that is something you can actually touch and appreciate.

The moral is that the great masses aren't moved by ideologies so much as by things they need and understand. Hopefully, the N900 can compete on that basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
N900 is so much nicer

im waiting for the n900 as i have seen the hd2 and its hideousely wide and tall to big for me where the n900 is right size, thicker but i rather have it thicker then to wide and tall so it dont feel to big in the hand.

Good luck. But don't be a stranger. We want a full report how much you're still enjoying that device when the honeymoon's over.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The moral is that the great masses aren't moved by ideologies so much as by things they need and understand.
That's not the moral because we're not talking about the masses. He proclaimed more than once that he wasn't part of the great masses. It seems he was wrong.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
That's not the moral because we're not talking about the masses. He proclaimed more than once that he wasn't part of the great masses. It seems he was wrong.
We are all part of the great masses from time to time. How many of you like to breathe? Just like all those other droogs, eh?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I think what disturbs me about this thread is not the outcome (hey, the guy is happy with his purchase, so it's all good, no?) but the philiosphy.

On the one hand, you have the locals, whose philosophy is that nothing will ever compete with the n900.

On the other you have, a first sight, a consumer who is very happy with something else. Which ought to be fine.

But there's a 'why?' under there. Why did the OP choose one device over another? Was it for superior hardware? (which some may consider it if you insist on capacative, for example.) Was it for superior firmware? (well, I'm no windows fan, but heck they sell enough!) Was it for a greater range of apps?

No. It was because he couldn't wait the requisite 8 days for an acknowledged better and cheaper device.

Now, without wanting to single out and criticise the OP personally and individually, I worry about what he represents: a generation who cannot possibly wait one single instant to have their desires gratified. Is this a generation who will embrace Open Source? I fear not.

(Mind I can think of many other things they won't embrace either - like long term, worked-at relationships, sustainable care for the environment, good parenting... )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
your on wrong forum the kiddie OS forum is that way -------------------->>>>
I wonder if you see the irony in such a childish statement....
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post: