VLC has been compiled with minimum requirements, see this post, please:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...7312#post77312

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
As I say there, VLC's practically useless if we have mplayer - and almost certainly not worth the split effort. A better mplayer GUI is a well-known problem, of course, which anyone can work on without having to touch the mplayer source itself. UKMP is currently the best alternative and is starting to get there for videos (mmm, thumbnailing).

Firefox we've got for all intents and purposes now with microb (even including extensions - albeit with caveats); and it's only logical to assume that the Nokia plan is to drop Opera and ship microb as standard at some later point (maybe even the chinook-based IT OS 2008?).

What I miss is a "real" mp3 player like XMMS. I dont like all the available ones at all with their GUIs.

I want a visible playlist and the time how long the title is running in one window. A simple visualisation, like in XMMS, in the same window would be nice too.

Holger

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
As I say there, VLC's practically useless if we have mplayer - and almost certainly not worth the split effort. A better mplayer GUI is a well-known problem, of course, which anyone can work on without having to touch the mplayer source itself. UKMP is currently the best alternative and is starting to get there for videos (mmm, thumbnailing).

Firefox we've got for all intents and purposes now with microb (even including extensions - albeit with caveats); and it's only logical to assume that the Nokia plan is to drop Opera and ship microb as standard at some later point (maybe even the chinook-based IT OS 2008?).
I'm sorry, but I don't like UKMP (I do like Ugo though...), and I can't and won't use microb as long as it relies on the Firmware-From-Hell.

So there...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by HolgiB View Post
What I miss is a "real" mp3 player like XMMS. I dont like all the available ones at all with their GUIs.

I want a visible playlist and the time how long the title is running in one window. A simple visualisation, like in XMMS, in the same window would be nice too.

Holger
Kilikali is pretty minimalist...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Firmware-from-hell? OS2007 v4's the best IT OS release yet.

Agree on UKMP, though - not a fan of it myself. Canola 2 (IIRC) should allow use of mplayer, but for launching videos how good a UI do we need? (Stop/resume is essential, though).

I'd really like Inkscape on my N800, but I think it's probably too big and the UI wouldn't really fit. I don't think it would be impossible, though, and I'd like to be able to do some scalable graphics sketching with a pen and a touch screen.

Hmm Kilikali seems really minimalistic, maybe too :-). All players available are looking similar like Canola or UKMP...

Something like this with tabs would be a lot better:

http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/screenshots/00123_2.png

Next thing I miss is a C64 SID and AMIGA Mod player. I love all this retro stuff. For my Zaurus there was something available but this is cause of Qtopia unportable to the Nokia 770 or 800.

For playing around with programming would a basic port which should include some minialistic IDE interesting too (smallbasic).

Holger

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I'd be eternally grateful if you ported an HP 48 emulator to the N800. X48 would be the easier port, but if you could somehow manage Emu48, that would be beyond wonderful.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Firmware-from-hell? OS2007 v4's the best IT OS release yet.
Any software that destroys hardware needs to be shredded. Nokia should be fscking Al-Qaedaed for releasing this shite and subsequently burying its corporate head in the Sands of Denial.

Agree on UKMP, though - not a fan of it myself. Canola 2 (IIRC) should allow use of mplayer, but for launching videos how good a UI do we need? (Stop/resume is essential, though).
mplayer's current UI is more than good enough for me. I really don't see the point in flashy UIs for video players. Like I'm going to watch the eyecandy and not the pr0n...