Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yeah, nice and all... but Sony locked out folks on the new PS3 Slims.

If emulation is that important, then why the negative remarks around the Pandora around here then? Just curious.
Yeah, I know. And the worst thing is that I know that if my PS3 dies or gets stolen, I'm screwed.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You too, eh?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You too, eh?
I already had my PS3 and about 30 games, 4 controllers, 3 hard drives and so much more stolen and it had PS2 compatibility. I really don't want to lose this one and lose out on Linux as well.

the original xbox has been hacked and runs alot of emulators really well just from a software hack. Much cheaper than a ps3

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@capt'n:
omg, if only they re-release Shadows of the Collossus on the PS3. No ...

@abubakar:
well, at the time when I bought my xb360 and ps3 ($400 each was it?) I had to spend about $1.5k to get equivalent performance (@1080p). I'm sure you can get a pc to do that for much less nowadays, then again the ps3 and xb360 has been around for quite a FEW years already.
as far as I remember, a lot of forums had this debate about which games support 1080p or not, 360 n ps3 both had these debates. Where as pc is concerned, well u know resolutions is a configuration.

I think these days its pretty gud using pc as a gaming platform, its so cheap to buy graphics cards like amd's 4870 or GTX series from nvidia, pair them with any decent cor2 (doesnt have to be a $1000 cor2 or i series intel chip) and u have a very powerful system capable of awesome entertainment experience.

But I do understand, microsoft and sony have both said that the current console generation is here to stay, and any one who buys their console is guaranteed to have a consistent gaming experience for years to come on the same hardware, where as your current pc system is going to require an upgrade within 2 years, a must. I still love the freedom of a pc though. Just a matter of choice I guess.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@abubakar: Yeah. In the end it all boils down to the kind of games you want to play..

japanese rpg : console
euro\us rpg : pc (hmm, actually they're moving to console too)
fps : pc (ok, i'm old school)
rts : pc
3rd person action\adventures : console

etc..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2009-10-05 at 16:50.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
The price drop almost got me to buy one. I then saw this cute little lady called N900 and fell in love, so all my extra cash is going to "her" instead.

We have PS2, Wii, two 360's, two laptops and two gaming rigs at my house- that will have to do. Ironically, my favorite gaming device right now is the Dingoo. Plays all Neogeo games at full speed with sound (true) and cost $85 delivered.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
if anyone is wondering why I've been pretty quiet of late, it's for two reasons:
1/ I bought a PS3.
1a/ my original chipped Xbox (used mainly as a media player) was getting pretty tired and wouldn't play DVDs reliably
1b/ all the xbox games were getting stale
1c/ I wanted a PS3 which could run linux
1d/ there were some very good offers around with the changing model

we have LBPlanet and Ghostbusters (free with console)

I spent quite bit of time improving my web wrapper for get_iplayer so wife and kids can pick and choose iplayer programs to download for later playing. the ps3 plays flash streams just fine, but is too fussy on codecs so iphone downloads don't play.

----

2/ my linux router/server died and I seconded my desktop computer, which suddenly became hopelessly unreliable and I'm replacing it with this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12629882@N05/tags/jetway/

----

3/ I'm suffering n900 envy and I am worried about getting tempted and buying the new one. the n800 still works just fine.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The price drop almost got me to buy one. I then saw this cute little lady called N900 and fell in love, so all my extra cash is going to "her" instead.
many many ppl lost their hearts to her. Ppl r saving money, ppl r selling their current gadgets, whatever they were about to buy has been put on hold, some ppl r cursing themselves for just having bought n97 hehehhee. Its funny and exciting situation for everyone . N900 is a big unexpected winner for Nokia I guess.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@capt'n:
omg, if only they re-release Shadows of the Collossus on the PS3. No need to change anything or add anything new... I'd buy it again in a heartbeat just to get te updated visuals. It's already a p-e-r-f-e-c-t game as is

@abubakar:
well, at the time when I bought my xb360 and ps3 ($400 each was it?) I had to spend about $1.5k to get equivalent performance (@1080p). I'm sure you can get a pc to do that for much less nowadays, then again the ps3 and xb360 has been around for quite a FEW years already.
SoTC *is* perfect. It's such an enchanting game! Have you played ICO? It's quite good as well, in a different way. I believe it's by the same studio. Awww... Now I feel like climbing up some fur and stabbing a giant in the head.... Fun times.

Anyway, shadow is the perfect game for 1080p and stereoscopic-3D. Half of the game is roaming the country side and to view this with depth would immerse you even more deeply into an atypically beautiful fantasy.

I'd also like to play some good space shooters in 3D, and a good FPS in 3D as well while off the topic.

But as far as gaming is concerned, I've got a soft spot for consoles. Though the line seems to be blurring more and more these days.

Go on, ysss, recommend something you love. You and I seem to have similar tastes!

}:^)~

Tags
playstation, ps3, sony