"So is CSD really the right term for what I have been trying to do, and my search has ended with this telling me that I cannot do it anymore with my carrier?"

Yeah, it's called carrier switched data (CSD) and it is SLOW. I used to use it on my treo-180 during my free nights and weekends. It took forever to surf the web, but it was OK for email.

BReady

Originally Posted by bready View Post
"So is CSD really the right term for what I have been trying to do, and my search has ended with this telling me that I cannot do it anymore with my carrier?"

Yeah, it's called carrier switched data (CSD) and it is SLOW. I used to use it on my treo-180 during my free nights and weekends. It took forever to surf the web, but it was OK for email.

BReady
Ya I knew it would be slow, but I thought it was essentially a free internet connection that would be fast enough for IM or e-mail. So after lots of research it turns out that AT&T stopped offering CSD back in 2005, it was $3.99 a month, and if you had it back then, you can still use it now, but it can't be added as a new feature.

Of course they were quick to tell me about my "alternative solution" aka a $60 a month unlimited data plan with EDGE speeds. *sigh* cellular carriers are a joke. I hope Google wins the 700MHz auction and opens it up for realistic data networks.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I have not read all the threads. I did try to get thru juno to see what is the problem. I quit when it gets to the part I have to put in my creditcard no.

I have used 770/N800 with the dialup using my BT Treo650 (a very old palm phone) as modem for last several trips. It worked very well and has been a very essential component of the tablet, to get online when broadband is not available. And as I mention in previous post, it is NOT a 3G, still it is NOT slow. I remember 56k modem dialups, this is many magnitude faster than 56k dialup. I have the alltel unlimited plan, $79.95? Not sure, have to ask someone.

Step by step pairing with Treo650, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1383#post71383
2) On 770, menu/Tools/Controlpanel/Phone/New (found your treo) select your treo, remember the pairing code, press OK on the 770, and your treo should now ask for the pairing code after you press OK on the 770, enter the same pairing code on your treo and pairing complete. Press Details, phone details should now show:
Phone name: your treo device name,
phone type: phone,
Cell type: CDMA,
DUN: Yes,
File tx: No,
SIM: No,
BT address: bla bla bla
__________________________________________________ __

Of course, you have to have an acct no. to try to begin with. If you do, step no. 1 is the key. You need to turn your phone into a modem, the phone usually give you a warning statement, " you will not be able to use BT devices and data app......" If you cant get this statement, you have NOT been able to turn on your phone into a modem. I will be more than happy to try on my phone if I can get a hold on some Juno acct. Once you turn your phone into modem, follow thru the rest of the steps. Post if ?

BTW, what cellphone you are using? Try to google yourcellphone + tether and see whether anybody has posted a solution.

good luck

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-06 at 03:14.