Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@sopwith: I would think the keyboard as the #1 content creation tool on a computing device... By a significant margin.
Agreed. Until we get writing recognition good enough to replace it. Unfortunately, the touch screens that are so trendy today will not help us get there faster.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@sopwith: microsoft's handwriting recognition on their tablet pc (don't know about vista or 7) was already damn good, at least if you write in English.

Trendy != auto fail
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
@sopwith: I would think the keyboard as the #1 content creation tool on a computing device... By a significant margin.
I'm betting mouse is close.

Anyway, I did make a point about separating the discussion about fingers vs stylus and capacitive vs resistive.

If the screen has the technology to accept finger input (both bare and gloved) AND it can also recognize stylus input, will people still take the time to take out their stylus to interact with the machine in manners that don't fall into the 3 categories I presented above? (handwriting, sketching, interacting with apps that were not designed for the tablet in the first place).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm betting mouse is close.
The mouse 'opens doors' for the keyboards to type the words, styli to input gestures, midi devices to be recorded, etc...

But by itself, what kind of content does it create? (In considerable quantity)

Anyway, I did make a point about separating the discussion about fingers vs stylus and capacitive vs resistive.

If the screen has the technology to accept finger input (both bare and gloved) AND it can also recognize stylus input, will people still take the time to take out their stylus to interact with the machine in manners that don't fall into the 3 categories I presented above? (handwriting, sketching, interacting with apps that were not designed for the tablet in the first place).
Well the answer is obviously yes, due to variation in humans as well as preference.

But also for the reason I pointed out (not wanting to get the screen dirty) =P. But I think that we both agree that the cases you pointed out (and mine) are all special cases.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
...If the screen has the technology to accept finger input (both bare and gloved) AND it can also recognize stylus input, will people still take the time to take out their stylus to interact with the machine in manners that don't fall into the 3 categories I presented above? (handwriting, sketching, interacting with apps that were not designed for the tablet in the first place).
No, people likely will not use a stylus unless they want a specific quality of interaction with the device. But the 3 categories you describe aren't going anywhere. And that is exactly why the stylus is here to stay, and that's what the article was about.

Well we've finally understood the capacitive screen trend, haven't we

Stylus = niche use for most users.
Finger interaction = preferred in most cases where stylus isn't required.

@LM: wet wipes! put one in your jacket pocket, backpack pocket and gf's pocket, pronto!

I don't play many games these days, but of the few I've played on the N900 that make use of the touch screen, I've found the stylus *much* better than using my finger because I can actually see the screen. Not sure if others agree?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to voracity For This Useful Post:
Well we've finally understood the capacitive screen trend, haven't we

Stylus = niche use for most users.
Finger interaction = preferred in most cases where stylus isn't required.

@LM: wet wipes! put one in your jacket pocket, backpack pocket and [fiancee's] pocket, pronto!
I don't think wet wipes can take out the oil used in cars. =P. Not to mention that means I then have to remember to carry wet wipes. That was kinda the point of getting the N900 for me. To reduce the amount of stuff I carry =P. So instead of throwing my n800, cell phone, wallet, keys into my pocket. I throw my N900, wallet, and keys. Now your telling me I gotta remember wet wipes?

Though I guess I could get her to carry it when I'm with her..

BTW, check the message I quoted from you for my edit.

Originally Posted by voracity View Post
I don't play many games these days, but of the few I've played on the N900 that make use of the touch screen, I've found the stylus *much* better than using my finger because I can actually see the screen. Not sure if others agree?
I have noticed that with certain iPhone games. As well as Nintendo DS games (which is why I use the stylus with them).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
finger fetish, rhabdophobia