Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
You may laugh at the iPad. Just know that many are laughing right back at the N900 because of the horrifying travesty that is its user interface. There's one thing that Apple got one million percent better than Nokia.

Now, for some people UI is everything, because it defines the user experience. It doesn't matter that the device is lacking if they got what IS included right. Many think Apple did just that and watching the N900 user interface, I secretly cry, because it is so awful. If impeccable user interface was a requirement, the N900 would get zero points out of a hundred.

Don't get me wrong, I love my N900, the way a mother loves her horribly disfigured, but freakishly strong kid. I just don't think we can quite afford to laugh at Apple, considering what the N900 is capable of delivering right now as a whole package...

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
What's wrong with n900's UI? I never had a smartphone/touchscreen before but I found the n900 easy to use

^^^ same here first smartphone and i am having no problems with it does everthing i would want it to do (thanks to the community )

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
If you stop to give the devil a ride, eventually he'll want to be the one doing the driving!

Hallelujah! Praise the Opennes!

I'm not falling for it

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Aside from public confessions of how devout you are to your reli... i meant, camps. I think it may be interesting to have a discussion of what's truly driving the iPad and how maemo/MeeGo can benefit from that.

Yes, marketing savvy and media hype control is one aspect of it, but without actual deliverable; something that makes the purchaser said "Yes It's actually worth it, so I'm not gonna tell everyone around me NOT to buy this", a marketing-blitz-campaign cannot create a sustained interest to a product.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
...There's one thing that Apple got one million percent better than Nokia....
If you understand simple mathematics you would know what "percent" actually means.

the N900 user interface, I secretly cry, because it is so awful. If impeccable user interface was a requirement, the N900 would get zero points out of a hundred.
Your seem to have a talent for exaggerating. I would consider the user interface on the n900 to be minimal - that's a good thing.

That's like choosing between two types of door handle to install. One looks very simple and works perfectly well you can install it yourself and choose the shape or material. The other one is gold-plated but has been buffed by the "breasts of amazonian virgins". Someone else has to install it for you , you cannot choose the shape and you will be told what type of door you can install it on.

just don't think we can quite afford to laugh at Apple, considering what the N900 is capable of delivering right now as a whole package...
I generally don't laugh at Apple, they produce devices that offer very minimal functionality while charging maximum prices. Financially this has worked for Apple very well.

I do laugh at some Apple users. For example a few months ago some Apple users had no idea what the "rumoured" iPad was but were determined to buy it any way because Apple made it.

My favourite announcements were from third-party developers who said they will charge extra for apps written for the iPad because the screen is bigger!

Genius!

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Apples new kids version has just been canned

Apparently the name

ITOUCH kids

Did not go down too great lol

Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
... I secretly cry, because it is so awful...

I love my N900, the way a mother loves her horribly disfigured, but freakishly strong kid...
... jesus christ man, it's just a phone. lol

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
If you understand simple mathematics you would know what "percent" actually means.

Your seem to have a talent for exaggerating.
Exaggerating, yes... But surely you CAN increase something by any percentage including over 100? 200percent is twice the original, 100 is the same as the original etc etc...

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Seriously what is wrong with the n900's UI?
I understand the previos tablets before maemo 5 were not intuitive but i find the maemo 5 UI on par with the iphone if not more. And remember that the n900 does it with multi tasking and a way better hardware. But one thing i find lagging is the responsiveness of the touch screen because the n900 does not have a capacitative touch screen which may not be as responsive for the iphone users. However that is a double edged sword. Anyway i find that the responsiveness has increased exponentially after over clocking my n900 to 900 mhz. Now i do not see any difference between capacitative and resistive screens in terms of responsiveeness.

For ysss who thinks the n900's UI is not good can you explain further? Try overclocking the n900 and see if it helps