Hmm I don't want a fancy android phones or Apple over hyped trash.....I love Linux ubuntu being my no 1 os I did forget to mention a qwerty keyboard I can touch is a plus......touch screen phones can be a bit eh annoying at times....even typing this on a HTC hero is annoying I keep pressing the wrong keys lol

A updated version of the n900 out at Xmas? Any other info?
Oh I can pick up the n900 for £380 now

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
* The next device will do everything the N900 does + + +
Eh.. I'm not so sure about that. Typical use cases probably. Extreme use cases booting Easy Debian, using computer applications, ports of software maybe not. The community has taken a huge beating between Nokia's continual lack of support and the flood of users that have developers leaving (or reducing their appearance on these forums). Not to mention the N9 (I think that's the Meego device) comes with a capacitative touch screen. Not the best for unoptimized software that isn't finger friendly.

I also doubt QT development will take off fast enough (Meego needs more people to get on board). Though there are a plethora of QT desktop apps (but again not optimized for finger).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
WOW I cant believe ANY of you guys can recommend him to get a N900 in any good conscience. Either you guys really want him to screw up or you did not read his message clearly.

To the OP - DO NOT GET THE N900. In fact, I do not recommend you get ANY smart phone (except maybe an Apple iPhone which you already have) but this applies most of all to the Nokia N900.

Why ? Because YOU DO NOT OWN A COMPUTER - this means if you install ANY maemo app from a repository (even if it is not in extras) and it bricks your phone or screws something up (yes it can happen), you CANNOT FIX IT because you CANNOT REFLASH it WITHOUT a computer.

This issue applies to smart phones in general BUT most of all to the N900 because it is VERY easy to **** up and even installing a bad app can do it - its no big deal if you can reflash it but you do not have a computer to do this.

If I were you, I will keep your current phone. Instead I would ask your parents for money and get a cheap netbook of some type. This will be much better for your work/internet surfing then the N900 - whilst the N900 does internet decently, it is not a candidate for serious word processing etc of any type.

But the key point is, if you have a N900, you NEED a PC to go with it in case something goes wrong, which CAN easily happen - with great power comes great responsibility haha
Since not having a computer is such a big issue, can you explain why it wasn't a big issue with the N800 he said he has? How was he fixing the N800 if something big went wrong?

If not having a computer didn't hurt him with the N800, why would it hurt him with the N900?

My assumption is that he might know someone with a computer and he could use it if he needed it. However he avoided the problem with the N800 he would use the same method with the N900. And, btw, I think the N900 is easier to use without a computer than the N800.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by cyberboy109 View Post
Good price for the UK? I know that you can get the N900 at Dell US currently for $350 (plus shipping / tax) after coupon. I think this is a great price for a device like that!

The N900 is definately not worth its current price of around £380, when I first tried one out I had assumed it would be around £200 max. With its shortcomings (its certainly not perfect) lack of support (not just nokia) and successors to be released very soon, I expect it to get alot closer to the latter within the next couple of years.

Regardless of what anyone here thinks as to what its "really" worth paying for an n900, I expect we will ALL look back on this in 7 years time with a frown and think "did I REALLY pay that much for a brand new N900!?!?!!" just before googling across to ebay to find the last n900s trying to be sold off for around £70.... perhaps even less

lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Since not having a computer is such a big issue, can you explain why it wasn't a big issue with the N800 he said he has? How was he fixing the N800 if something big went wrong?

If not having a computer didn't hurt him with the N800, why would it hurt him with the N900?
Maybe because the N800 isn't also his cell phone?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Lol flashing a device isn't a problem my parents let me use there pc.....rite now a desktop/laptop isn't really a huge thing for me rite now if a n900 isn't worth the value and the dell streak is running android ill prob just buy a cheap *** Nokia phone with a decent camera and umid......I really had my heart set on a n900 not becuase it was cool but cause I really liked maemo....if there was still updates for the n800 id be happy but like all technology folk are turning there back on the n8x0 devices.....latly the web browser has become so slow and out dated my n800 is nowbeing used as mp3 player for my flat

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by cyberboy109 View Post

Good price for the UK?
No its not, mobiles.co.uk are doing it for £269 (up from £249)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
But he owns a n800, so he can put it in HOST MODE and flash the n900 from there
I wanna see that done!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: