Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
I've fixed the latest release (http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hack/3.5.3-14/) so that it asks for a username on startup.

I'll try to implement the fixed you've asked for in the next release.
Is it possible to make this work by only asking for a player name if the option is not present in the config file? To always have to enter it even it is set in the config file is very bothersome.

I've also updated to the latest version today.

1. Thanks for changing the config file ownership to user from root as earlier requested.

2. What happened to the default color layout? I am unable to see my player now which makes the game totally unplayable.

3. I also noticed that installing the new version overwrote my previous config file unless it is renamed to a filename we were not made aware of.

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United Kingdom
Hi,

First, thanks for doing this - much appreciated. I am an old unix hacker from many years gone by. Now a manager but still like my N900 and want to play nethack. Two questions:
  1. When I download and try to install, I get errors: control return error exit status 2. Any ideas? I am SU
  2. I am trying to let my kids play. In the old days, there was a debug mode and you could get "wands of wishings". I wanted to do that so my kids could have some fun.

Thanks again for doing this - I hope to be playing soon!

DZ

1. How exactly are you downloading it? Try running "sudo apt-get install unnethack" from the shell; does it give an error?

2. Try pressing shift-x in the game.

Originally Posted by dmz94 View Post
Hi,

First, thanks for doing this - much appreciated. I am an old unix hacker from many years gone by. Now a manager but still like my N900 and want to play nethack. Two questions:
  1. When I download and try to install, I get errors: control return error exit status 2. Any ideas? I am SU
  2. I am trying to let my kids play. In the old days, there was a debug mode and you could get "wands of wishings". I wanted to do that so my kids could have some fun.

Thanks again for doing this - I hope to be playing soon!

DZ

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by JayBEE View Post
Is it possible to make this work by only asking for a player name if the option is not present in the config file? To always have to enter it even it is set in the config file is very bothersome.

1. Thanks for changing the config file ownership to user from root as earlier requested.

2. What happened to the default color layout? I am unable to see my player now which makes the game totally unplayable.

3. I also noticed that installing the new version overwrote my previous config file unless it is renamed to a filename we were not made aware of.

I've reverted to the previous version, .14, for now.

Something is really wrong if you're not able to see the player!

Can you send me a screenshot demonstrating this? You can take one by pressing ctrl-shift-p.

I'll definitely fix the annoying config file business once I figure out how to handle it properly.

I am sure I am doing something really, really dumb.

When I put the "sudo" in front, it asks for a password (which I do not have).

When I do sudo gainroot (to get su access) and then run "apt-get install unnethack" it says...

...reading package lists...done
...building dependency tree...done
...reading state information....done
E: Couldn't find package unnethack

Like I said, I know I am doing something really, really stupid. Thanks!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
sudo gainroot and then apt-get. Thatīs correct way.

From first post link you can see that package is in testing. So you have to enable testing repository before apt-get can find it. More information about this from wiki.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
That's OK, you probably just don't have extras-testing enabled.

The reason it's not updating for you is most likely that you have changed /home/user/.unnethackrc. Delete or rename the file and it should update.

Originally Posted by dmz94 View Post
I am sure I am doing something really, really dumb.

When I put the "sudo" in front, it asks for a password (which I do not have).

When I do sudo gainroot (to get su access) and then run "apt-get install unnethack" it says...

...reading package lists...done
...building dependency tree...done
...reading state information....done
E: Couldn't find package unnethack

Like I said, I know I am doing something really, really stupid. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
The problem is that nethack is designed to run with a white-text-on-black-background colorscheme, and nokia's terminal isn't smart enough to handle a reversed black-on-white color scheme properly.

For now I've patched the scripts to change the color scheme on game start and change them back on exit. This is a very crude solution, but seems to work OK.

Check it out:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hack/3.5.3-17/

I haven't figured out what to do with configfiles, since the game expects that there be only one configfile on the system... (Thus, I can't create a default configfile in /etc while letting the user set his own options in /user/home.)

I've reverted to the previous version, .14, for now.

You were right - I did not have extras-testing enable. Doowp!!!

All works well now except....the colors

My colors are such that I cannot really play.

Do I need to install curses? What do I do to get playable colors?

Also - how can I update the icon to use the icon in the 2nd message?

Thanks again for making this available and for your help and support!

Last edited by dmz94; 2010-09-15 at 13:21.