Notices

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
I like it too.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by se23 View Post
i think im the only person who like ovi maps since pr 1.2, it has help me on many journeys
Hi Se23,
Please describe how you use Ovi Maps included with PR1.2 to make it usable.

I've found I can plan a route and it displays a list of directions on the screen.
However, this list remains static, it doesn't update while moving, even after passing each way point.

If I close the list, it shows where I am on the route with a line showing where I'm supposed to go, but does not pop up the next direction that's coming up.

Is this how you use it or am I missing something ?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
Hi Se23,
I've found I can plan a route and it displays a list of directions on the screen.
However, this list remains static, it doesn't update while moving, even after passing each way point.
Is this how you use it or am I missing something ?
Thanks.
Yeah, there is no turn-by-turn navigation. Also, the distance and ETA does not update. This should be a small fix to actually make it useful, especially when driving.

Other annoyances, not sure if mentioned earlier, are that you can't keep the map north aligned while centered on GPS location and that you lose your route when the application is closed.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by peteblack View Post
the distance and ETA does not update. This should be a small fix to actually make it useful, especially when driving.
This is not so easy.
The route calculations are done on Nokia servers, so keeping you updated with current data would mean constantly asking for it over the network.
There is no routing logic in the app itself.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
And why they need to waste data ressources with the connection to there servers when we have a full working GPS inside our N900 i dont get it.. I would understand if they would provide A-GPS like informations like Traffic Jams , Weather and some other useful informations but they dont..

So they could use GPS only and anybody would be happy.

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
And why they need to waste data ressources with the connection to there servers when we have a full working GPS inside our N900 i dont get it..
Maps servers are needed for:
- location searching
- route computation
- required map images delivery

Please keep in mind, that Ovi Maps was designed for low-end Symbian phones that:
- have not enough storage to hold the whole maps data
- have not enough computing power to do the routing
- have not enough RAM to effectively search through millions of location and POI data

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
This is not so easy.
The route calculations are done on Nokia servers, so keeping you updated with current data would mean constantly asking for it over the network.
There is no routing logic in the app itself.
...just to verify If I am driving and I go off the track then all I have to do is go back to chosing starting point (current gps location is already selected) and hit OK, and map recalculate new route WITHOUT internet connection....so I think recalculation is already in the soft.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by bull81 View Post
... and map recalculate new route WITHOUT internet connection....so I think recalculation is already in the soft.
That's right, the routing logic is in the phone & works fine offline. It's just the search function that requires nokia servers.

Might be something added with PR1.2

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
nope, did work with 1.1 as well.
but you couldn't select locations from contacts and you couldn't search locations by name (as is today). If you selected location (start or end) by map it would calculate in 1.1 as well