Originally Posted by krisse View Post
(with apologies to Jonathan Swift)

We all know ordinary mobile device users are unqualified to report bugs, and generally produce far too much white noise to discern anything useful from what they say.

As they obviously have nothing useful to contribute to the Maemo project, they should be taken out of the picture so we can concentrate on the real work of building a solid Linux platform.

The solution to this problem is clear:

People who want to buy a Maemo device should have to pass a test. Nothing complex, just the basics like "what is a repository?", "how do I become root?"... really simple stuff that everyone ought to know. Once you pass the test you'd be issued with a "Maemo licence" which would allow you to buy devices which use the platform.

Obviously this would annoy the most casual users who just want to buy a device and use it straight away without putting any real effort into it. But these are exactly the kind of time-wasters that Maemo would be better off without. Who needs all these mainstream airheads anyway, right?

So, every time someone tries to purchase an N900 they should first have to fill in a brief multiple-choice quiz to confirm their prior knowledge. We can then be sure they are capable of making a useful contribution to the community.

What do people think?
I think Nokia should hire you to replace Rick Simonson.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-22 at 22:01.

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
If you think this is a serious propsal, I think you ought to read what I wrote again...
Apologies, sorry about the rant just got out of bed to start nightshift brain wasn't fully engaged, anyhow.... great idea lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nitchers For This Useful Post:
Crucial Test is understanding the emoticons

What a motley crew they are.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
"I see from your idiotic question, and this being your first post that you must be running for F*cktard President. Welcome! And don't forget to visit our popular 'Buy and Sell' section. We only use the best in Nigerian escrow services. Finally, would you mind taking a quick survey? We're always trying to improve forum quality, but it just doesn't work without user feedback. We know surveys can sometimes be inconvenient with a busy schedule, so thank you very much for your time. Here we go: Since you are obviously too much of an a*shole to use search, please describe how you found us?"
So can I start using this as my signature?

The point I'm making is that anything which requires prior knowledge is effectively acting like a test. The obscurity and lack of user-friendliness in maemo.org and Bugzilla is acting like a test. The contempt for casual users by certain individuals on this forum is acting like a test.
Maybe this could be like the haiku thread. Everyone posts their version of:

"maemo.org is so casual-user unfriendly that..."

I'll go first:

[me]: maemo.org is so casual-user unfriendly.

[the crowd]: How casual-user unfriendly is it?

[me]: It's so casual-user unfriendly, that when I click on my Subscriptions link, my browser even tells me to go f*ck myself.

Now you try.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Can I make sure we're distinguishing between 'unfriendly' and 'user-unfriendly'.

Maemo-org is friendly. I've been many, many places on the net a hella lot less friendly and welcoming than here. It's the systems that are unfriendly. If you're new to all this Bugzilla might as well be named Godzilla for scare factor. And Brainstorm isn't much better. And don't get me started on multiple log-ins... But talk? Talk is vBulletin. Which is pretty easy to use (unless you're a mod or admin and have the 'infraction' component loaded...) And the people are,mostly friendly. (Well, unless you tell them that their system is user-unfriendly.. they don't like that!)

Bugzilla ate my butterfly collection.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Maemo-org is friendly. I've been many, many places on the net a hella lot less friendly and welcoming than here. It's the systems that are unfriendly. If you're new to all this Bugzilla might as well be named Godzilla for scare factor. And Brainstorm isn't much better.
To tell the truth: I find brainstorm even worse, because the search in there doesn't really work and because, well, it has a confusing user interface (although I like the possibility to vote directly with thumbs up/down).

Bugzilla just takes get used to - and yes, it would be great if entry fields you can/should not change as a reporter would be greyed out or completely removed when reporting a bug.

But as said before, it hopefully keeps the "ZOMG! My Google is not working!" out. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

Originally Posted by range View Post
Bugzilla just takes get used to
That's like saying command lines just take getting used to.

Bugzilla is simply not a viable way of collecting bug feedback from mainstream users.

That's like saying command lines just take getting used to.
Is that statement incorrect in some way?

Bugzilla is simply not a viable way of collecting bug feedback from mainstream users.
...and that is exactly what GeneralAntilles originally meant when he said that most users are not qualified enough to file (Bugzilla) bugs. Fortunately, mainstream users can file their problems with Nokia Care, like they always have with Nokia devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That's just a different way of saying what GeneralAntilles said.

EDIT: oops, fms beat me to it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*cking snobs