Active Topics

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
As promised, here is my Python/Qt4 app: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37089

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
noobmonkey: I forgot to mention that if you want to learn Qt fast, you can get the previous edition of the official Qt book as a free download (it's too old to cover the Maemo-specific features of Qt, but it's a great book, and good as a general reference to Qt) The documentation is also quite good, although the book is a better place to start for most people. I'd read the first few chapters, then skim the conceptual overview pages on the Qt Docs (e.g. signals and slots, etc.)
Link: http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=156
I've also heard this book (also free) recommended: but I think it's more advanced, and I haven't looked at it yet: http://cartan.cas.suffolk.edu/oopdocbook/opensource/
#qt on Freenode IRC is also quite helpful, as is #maemo for Maemo questions

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
noobmonkey: I forgot to mention that if you want to learn Qt fast, you can get the previous edition of the official Qt book as a free download (it's too old to cover the Maemo-specific features of Qt, but it's a great book, and good as a general reference to Qt) The documentation is also quite good, although the book is a better place to start for most people. I'd read the first few chapters, then skim the conceptual overview pages on the Qt Docs (e.g. signals and slots, etc.)
Link: http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=156
I've also heard this book (also free) recommended: but I think it's more advanced, and I haven't looked at it yet: http://cartan.cas.suffolk.edu/oopdocbook/opensource/
#qt on Freenode IRC is also quite helpful, as is #maemo for Maemo questions
I haven't used this book in particular, but the Maemo-specific features of qt are so far quite minimal, and easy to pick up.

My previous experience with QT was with qt4.3 (and very briefly 4.4) and so far all of that knowledge/code has translated very well to 4.6 on Maemo

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Wow, impressed with all the help and support - thank you everyone
Going to install ubuntu properly on my other laptop tonight instead of using a VM - will make the familiarisation alot easier

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
From my perspective I'd say use python. yes c++ *can* be faster, but only if you can actually get it to work. in my experience unless you are trying to push the limits of the device, the difference in app performance will be hidden completely by bad programming.
By which I mean you'll waste so much time trying to make c++ work at all, or do anything, that the theoretical performance difference isn't worth much.

of course if you already know c/c++ and are a super clever guy, then go for it. But for me, coming from a java background, I tried C, and it took me ages to get not very far, and I gave up trying to debug my segfaults. I just wasn't prepared to sink my time into getting good enough at C to make it worth while.

Python is *way* faster to develop and get on with for anyone that doesn't start with serious c experience.

In real terms I think I stand a better chance of writing performant Python than I do in C, just because I have a better understanding of what is going on. But maybe that's just me.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
From my perspective I'd say use python. yes c++ *can* be faster, but only if you can actually get it to work. in my experience unless you are trying to push the limits of the device, the difference in app performance will be hidden completely by bad programming.
By which I mean you'll waste so much time trying to make c++ work at all, or do anything, that the theoretical performance difference isn't worth much.

of course if you already know c/c++ and are a super clever guy, then go for it. But for me, coming from a java background, I tried C, and it took me ages to get not very far, and I gave up trying to debug my segfaults. I just wasn't prepared to sink my time into getting good enough at C to make it worth while.

Python is *way* faster to develop and get on with for anyone that doesn't start with serious c experience.

In real terms I think I stand a better chance of writing performant Python than I do in C, just because I have a better understanding of what is going on. But maybe that's just me.
I tend to agree, but one performance hurdle of python difficult to overcome is slow startup speed. Once your app is loaded users are hard pressed to tell a difference espescially if your app relies heavily on fumctionality provided by a relatively fast toolkit like qt or gtk.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
well that was pants.......
I installed Kubuntu.... looked great for the first 5 minutes now all i get is a black screen after login..... just a sexy little mouse pointer....

Meh, may try ubuntu tomorrow instead....

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
well that was pants.......
I installed Kubuntu.... looked great for the first 5 minutes now all i get is a black screen after login..... just a sexy little mouse pointer....

Meh, may try ubuntu tomorrow instead....
KDE4 still just isn't user ready in my opinion, gnome based ubuntu feels much more polished.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Zürich, Switzerland
I just started as well and followed the disucssion until here... I guess I'm now at the same level as noobmonkey:

Set up my laptop with ubuntu, installed maemo sdk, installed esbox and started with the helloworld example...

But... that's where I'm stuck now: Somehow when I try to build the application, there keep errors showing up, saying that hildonmm.h and libosso.h couldn't be found (and some others). Where can I find these? Do I need to be online for building the application? Are they somewhere local on my disk?

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
I tried C, and it took me ages to get not very far, and I gave up trying to debug my segfaults.
Valgrind is in the SDK repos and it works fine within scratchbox. It's a really useful tool for debugging segfaults and memory leaks. It's like an automatic screwup detector for C programming!

Of course, python is great. I mainly use C when there are no python bindings available for some library that I want to use.