Active Topics

Originally Posted by dustme.com View Post
There two things that I noticed in the video review that were inaccurate.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/nokia-n900-review/

2. Minute 18:08. He presses the power button to get to the phone and then says that it’s not supported in landscape mode. He must have the Display Orientation set to ‘Portrait’ instead of ‘Automatic’ in the Turning Control menu.
Sorry for going off topic. How do you get to change the Display Orientation and turning control??

Great comment from @goff that made me laugh

"I am totally buying this, if only for the noticeable bulge."

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
I'd be happy with that comparison, because that's exactly what it is. (As long as they didn't try to suggest that Nokia should have implemented it on 2002 hardware in order to not be a copycat.)
See, for years I've tried to force myself to use expose on my Mac, but I always give up after a few days. I think the appeal for expose is for people who have lots of windows open and want to find something specific.

I see the interface on the N900 as less about fixing messiness, as an actual navigation scheme to switch from one application to another (more akin to alt-tab).

But then again, I'm also someone who refuses to run more than one application at a time, even on a ludicrously overpowered core i7 box (I get a little OCD about my desktop)

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
OMG that dude has to STOP talking with his hands right in front of the camera. I totally want to reach into my screen and smack him with something to stop his crazy hands.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Originally Posted by dustme.com View Post
There two things that I noticed in the video review that were inaccurate.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/nokia-n900-review/
2. Minute 18:08. He presses the power button to get to the phone and then says that it’s not supported in landscape mode. He must have the Display Orientation set to ‘Portrait’ instead of ‘Automatic’ in the Turning Control menu.
I was totally screaming "EPIC FAIL!!!" to him when he said that. Do your home work Chris!

Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
While I certainly wouldn't call the Pre a smashing success (being tied to Sprint for the launch pretty much guaranteed that wasn't going to be the case), I don't think for an instant that the N900 will sell more units.

Nokia doesn't release sales info for the N900 (except to say that it's "met expectations"), and Palm doesn't break sales figures out by device, but just the fact that the Pre is sold subsidized I'd argue pretty much means it'll sell more (and as it's Palm's hail mary pass to stay relevant, it had better).
I believe most countries got at least one carrier in Europe that got N900. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 million sales from N900 at the end. Not from Q4 that's for sure with the limited supply and many Asian countries are getting the N900 in Q1.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I believe most countries got at least one carrier in Europe that got N900. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 million sales from N900 at the end. Not from Q4 that's for sure with the limited supply and many Asian countries are getting the N900 in Q1.
I agree a million is totally a doable number worldwide. I don't see a sustaining push though, as we're about six months away from the Maemo 6 device being released (according to Nokia at least).

As Nokia are betting that Maemo 6 will be more consumer-oriented, I'd expect to see a much bigger marketing push and subsequently, much higher sales (sales that are more "nokia-ish" considering the staggering amount of handhelds they sell).

As of September, Palm had sold about 1.3 million Pre's (at least according to this article: http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/200...nMO-Sales-Pre/ )

As it launches on Verizon in a week and a half, and the price has dropped considerably since release, I think it'll probably end up around 3 million units.

I think it's amusing that anything can sell 3 million units and be considered a "failure", but I guess I'm glad I'm not a mobile phone manufacturer

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by switchfiend View Post
While I certainly wouldn't call the Pre a smashing success (being tied to Sprint for the launch pretty much guaranteed that wasn't going to be the case), I don't think for an instant that the N900 will sell more units.

...just the fact that the Pre is sold subsidized I'd argue pretty much means it'll sell more...
Are you speaking of just within the U.S. or world wide? I haven't really followed Pre news, but didn't it only become available in markets outside the U.S. at roughly the same time as the N900 was released? Also, isn't the Pre only sold "SIM free" in some countries? I know the N900 can be had for "free" with a contract in, again, some countries. Unless I'm mistaken, comparing the sales of the two devices seems to be more complicated than Pre-subsidized vs. N900-unsubsidized.

I agree, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The Pre was intially only for sale in the U.S. on Sprint, then in Canada (I think on Rogers), and has since rolled out to a couple European carriers.

I was taking umbrage with the statement that the N900 was going to sell more units than the Pre, which while not outside of the realm of possibility, I don't see happening (the Pre being subsidized in the U.S. is just one of those reasons, being available on both Sprint and Verizon is another).

I think the Pre is in the unenviable position of being unnecessary, therefore making it's success less predetermined. Maemo, from Nokia's point of view, is necessary for them to establish in-roads into people's current impression of "smart phones." While I don't hate on Symbian as much as the U.S.-centered media, I think it's obvious that Nokia has had to react to people's impressions of it, and Maemo is a good answer to that issue.

RIM is arguably doing better than anyone else right now (their marketshare has been increasing the most of any platform, although you wouldn't know that from reading new sites), and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon.

Android represents the best way for handset manufacturers to sell hardware that is feature-rich and therefore desirable, with little overhead and investment, and it's coming on like gangbusters (something I don't expect to change).

And the iPhone is selling well and seems to be setting the tone for mindshare (although not necessarily in actual sales).

This leaves Palm out in the cold, which makes their continued viability in question.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Are you speaking of just within the U.S. or world wide? I haven't really followed Pre news, but didn't it only become available in markets outside the U.S. at roughly the same time as the N900 was released? Also, isn't the Pre only sold "SIM free" in some countries? I know the N900 can be had for "free" with a contract in, again, some countries. Unless I'm mistaken, comparing the sales of the two devices seems to be more complicated than Pre-subsidized vs. N900-unsubsidized.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
The Chinese devices you're referring to actually runs Diablo (Maemo 4.x). If it's the one that I'm thinking of, it's basically an N800 clone and TOTALLY looks like an illegal KIRF-like device.
If that is the case, then I stand corrected.

~goes back to eating his crayons~