Originally Posted by specc View Post
The 808 is the last real Nokia smartphone. Symbian OS and all the bells and whistles regarding HW. An N8 on steroids. Either you like it or you don't.

I like it, but will I get one? Probably, sometime.

I got to play around with the 808 pureview at the Microsoft TechEd conference in Orlando. It was in a tiiiinnnny little section at nokia's booth. You could have missed it next to all the Lumias.

If you are looking for something to replace your N8, look no further. The 808 is everything the N8 is to the next level. The camera on this phone is simply badass. You also get a MUCH faster phone, smoother transitions, more animations, quicker application startup/shutdown, and a bigger screen too.

A phone like this would have saved Nokia had it come out a year or two ago. (shot these pics on an N8 btw)

Nokia's default browser still sucks though
Attached Images

Symbian may not be glamorous but it is still a more capable OS than WP7.5 and far more customizable. Why isn't Nokia promoting the 808 instead of selling it in the dark? Fear that it will cannibalize Lumia sales? If Lumia is good why does Nokia fear the competition from N9 and Pureview?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Symbian may not be glamorous but it is still a more capable OS than WP7.5 and far more customizable. Why isn't Nokia promoting the 808 instead of selling it in the dark? Fear that it will cannibalize Lumia sales? If Lumia is good why does Nokia fear the competition from N9 and Pureview?
The same reason they quietly released the N9 in smaller markets than the major ones...
Everything trumps Lumia sales.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I might get it just to make/contribute to the record of sales that everything except windows is wanted.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
FM transmitter, yay. Connectivity, yay. The screen res sucks, but then again, I wonder what it means in terms of battery consumption. I can't believe I'm actually considering this as my next phone...
me too, until i saw the sticker shock of USD699.

Originally Posted by msnbcnnbcbs View Post

Nokia's default browser still sucks though
Thats a deal breaker. Doesnt matter how much connectivity it has, the browser must not be compromised.
Browser = 50% usage, camera/connectivity = 5%.

Atleast it has Google maps, when you spend 4bil to buy a map company, you should improve it with search and local POIs, not keep it stuck in the same little hole.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
They are dropping Symbian altogether, not just the word. 808 is the last Symbian phone.
drop it even from the 808 is what i meant.

Originally Posted by libaax View Post
This article on nokia conversations that states phone operates on att 3G only...if thats the case there no way I am going to sign a 2 year contract with att.
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/...ng-to-america/
i dont think it has the t-mobile 1700/2100 bands and their weird up/downlink config.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
me too, until i saw the sticker shock of USD699.
Well, some people paid that for the N9. Hopefully, the price will drop.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The 808 reminds me of N8 hype. They hyped the camera, and when I got the phone, I was stunned by the beta OS that was on that phone. It was the most horrible user experience I had. Forward few years later, and we got the same thing, 808, you only see advertised camera performance. I bet the OS is just as crappy relative to the comepetition, as was N8 few years back. Too bad, but I think Pureview will do better on a smooth OS like WP8

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: