Active Topics

Thanks for the reply on mplayer with 800..

Will Canola play DIVX? Gonna try that one out.

I have had N800 for about a week, equipped with two 4GB 150X SD cards and latest OS.

Here are the two major problems:

1. The Video is jerky, with frequent freezes.

I installed MPlayer. I used Media Converter to convert a DivX file and a DVD VOB file, using High and then Medium settings. Nothing helps. Even the included Nokia clip plays jerky (looks like lost frames).

MPlayer takes somewhere from 30 sec up to a minute to load and it's hard to kill when it freezes.

2. The wireless card seems to be less sensitive that the ones for laptops. I only get good connection at home in areas with "excellent" or "very strong" signal. Forget about public Wi-Fi access points. A killer for an "Internet Tablet".

It seems to me that the device does not live up to consumer expectations and most of N800 enthusiasts are too forgiving and optimistic. May be it is just my device? Or me?

Does anybody have a clip that plays perfectly on his or her N800?

Thanks
Former N800 enthusiast

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
About the "jerkiness" of videos: I found that mplayer does indeed play quite jerkily; the built-in media player suffers from the same problem, albeit to a lesser extent.

Most curiously, I found that when I start videos from Canola, they play a lot smoother than when started from the media player directly. This is most weird, as Canola is supposed to be nothing more than a frontend to the media player. Freezes also appear to be less frequent in Canola, adding to the weirdness.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
For the record, DivX *is* entirely one of the formats supported by the built-in media framework; used by Media Player and Canola.

It's just finnicky about the bitrates and resolutions of the DivX file in question, and the fourcc code used. More details in the wiki.

Less Wireless Sensitivity??? Then I think your the only one. I pick up signals from 8 blocks away. I also have no jerkyness on my videos.. are you running the most current firmware?

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
In case you want to play XVID content with the media player, you can use the FourCC code changer (http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml) and make it look like DIVX. Et voila

Yes, I am running the most current firmware.
Let me clarify about Wireless sensitivity. I pick up a lot of signals, however it would not connect - "network error" or some such.

amadis dvd to 3gp. good resolution and fast. not free but you can try it out. i use it so i dont have to convert vids twice, one for my phone and one for the n770

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by erweb View Post
Yes, I am running the most current firmware.
Let me clarify about Wireless sensitivity. I pick up a lot of signals, however it would not connect - "network error" or some such.
You must remember that not every network is connected to the internet. Quality of the network also matters, I can surf the internet at 1.6 mbits from my neighbours wifi across the street at just 2 bars.

I use the Sandisk V-Mate to record movies to my SD card. It's easy and simple to use. It connects to any video source: tv, vcr, dvd player. It even works like a tiivo as you can schedule recordings when connected to cable or satellite. I use 3gp format at BEST setting and it works flawlessly with the 800. I have 7 full featured movies in my 2 GB SD. RecordIng takes awhile as it only records in 1x speed but I'm very satisfied with the results. Sandisk V-Mate costs $129.99 at Circuit City and as low as $85 online.

Hope this helps.