Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Jolouis, I would love to be able to set a bell alarm that rings once on the hour. It would, of course, always be at full system volume. The actual sound file I can find myself.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I almost hate to mention it, but it struck me that it would be great to have a Flipclock applet for the desktop.
well, if you really feel adventurous is always possible to modify any theme with the fc graphics.
The entire project really started as a spinoff from:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=239110&postcount=3

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Following User Says Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Hmm. Still crashes when starting it in Fremantle. :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Jolouis, I would love to be able to set a bell alarm that rings once on the hour. It would, of course, always be at full system volume. The actual sound file I can find myself.
Wow now that's an interesting one, never thought of that... a bit like the ol' Timex "beep beep" on the hour, or as you said, bell chime from a grandfather clock... Hmmm, I'll add it to the to-do list; no promises about getting it into the first official release, but should be able to get it in there at some point so just be patient please ;-)

I start Flicpclok at 11 PM at night and then after midnight I see that the clock still keeps reading 13:00 hrs 14:00 hrs etc.
Nilchalk I assume the AM/PM indicator doesn't change either correct? This was a bug that I corrected as soon as it got mentioned, but I don't recall if it made it into the "updated preview package" or if it was after that... I've got a bit more work I want to do before letting out the next round preview, but if you've got AM/PM working and the digit is still wrong let me know as that's definitely a problem that I haven't seen yet...

As a result my alarms are also not taking hold
That's a problem, because the issue I mentioned above is only a graphics refresh problem (the first "1" from "12:59" didn't get erased, so you ended up with "11:01" at 1am, etc). If you set just one alarm for 6:00am does the alarm icon appear in the status bar? Try setting an alarm for a different time also and see if that works? Please let me know!

Qole, thanks for moving it over to your repo so that the packages get pulled in automatically! I'm still trying to figure out how on earth to get this thing into extras-devel (do I need to make an extra build rule for creating the package so that the autobuilder will put files in the proper places? or does that just get handled by the install rule and the autobuilder figures the rest out?... I have to sit down and figure it out...) but at the moment I got a little caught up trying to cram a few more goodies into the app itself before I go back to paying attention to packaging!

lemmyslender, thanks for the positive feedback! As for a desktop widget, it's a possibility down the road (I know Ciro originally had one for the N97), but for now focus remains on the app itself. The next big longterm step would be to implement a proper statusbar icon for Flip itself rather than just the build in alarm one (so that you could click it to see when the next flip alarm was actually scheduled for), but that's a ways off still...

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Unfortunately I'm obviously doing something wrong as a maemo developer, hardware developer and 3 year active TMO/ITT guy because my Karma is nowhere near close enough to be eligable for the N900 developer program... so anyone who's looking for N900 compatibility is going to have to give me a hand with the support work there...

I'll try to get the Fermantle SDK installed somewhere over the weekend though to see if I can figure out why it's crashing... If you run it from xterm does it give you any output before it crashes? (there's a whole bunch of debugging messages that I still have in there)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Version 0.9.0 Beta - the Ultimate Time Piece

Just got the update to 090... Looks amazing

Where did the 24hr mode go?

Thanks

M

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
The first time I ever installed this was about three months ago, I was beyond amazed. It was something completely unexpected!

Then I realized all of the damage it created on my tablet to the point of complete nonsense for a simple newbie like myself.

jolouis is an amazing programmer, no one can doubt his talent. But still, I think he might be a little crazy. *lol*

I don't care about all of the fluff and features you guys keep sending his way. Once there's a stable version I'd love to revisit this project again.

Until then, I think I'll stay away from it.

Still, it's really tempting to see what he did.

Where did the 24hr mode go?
you can change 0 to 1 in ~/.flipClockPrefs.xml
in the "military time" tag

but I found it fouled up my alarms - the tablet
got very confused about what 06:30 meant
for some reason

The Following User Says Thank You to albright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by albright View Post
you can change 0 to 1 in ~/.flipClockPrefs.xml
in the "military time" tag
Thanks! That did the trick

The slider control in the version I had before lulled me into not messing around "under the hood"

M

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
i'd love to see a clock that can sound an alarm in response to an outside signal: maybe from an RSS feed or something.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
The first time I ever installed this was about three months ago, I was beyond amazed. It was something completely unexpected!

Then I realized all of the damage it created on my tablet to the point of complete nonsense for a simple newbie like myself.

jolouis is an amazing programmer, no one can doubt his talent. But still, I think he might be a little crazy. *lol*

I don't care about all of the fluff and features you guys keep sending his way. Once there's a stable version I'd love to revisit this project again.

Until then, I think I'll stay away from it.

Still, it's really tempting to see what he did.
Thanks Addison! lol actually in all honesty I'm not as crazy as you'd think especially compared to some of the other UBER talented coders/developers out there that I've met ;-)

I would recommend though that you give this new preview release a try... it doesn't have all the features in there yet, but "out of the box stability" is 99%... the last release of the old version at best I would have said more like %60-70. I learned a lot from that one, and the move to C gave me all the control over the "Random things" that were causing so many issues before. And if you'd prefer to wait I completely understand... I'm just letting you know that this one is pretty "Safe" to try ;-) (others who've got it installed already, back me up here? or tell me I'm completely wrong so I can fix it quickly!)

albright - Yes, that will do it but you have to be careful! The alarms are re-calculated and stored differently between 12hr and 24 hour mode, and just changing the militaryTime setting doesn't do this for you! If you want 24 hour mode, make sure your alarms are turned off/cleared first. Then, make the change, and set your alarms again... they should work properly then. This option will be on the yet-to-be-made clock settings screen, so don't worry it'll be easy as pie again soon!

dormant - Tying into outside signals isn't too difficult to do, as long as they're actually there and happening. For example I could add an option to trigger an alarm when a certain D-Bus signal is broadcast... the bigger issue with that is figuring out how to implement the UI for it and have it make sense for the rest of the clock since everything else is time-based...It sounds more like you're looking for a simple notification system rather than an alarm clock... which I could throw together pretty easily but maybe start a new thread or PM me and let me know how/why it would work...

Thanks all, I've got another little surprise or two up my sleeve for the next preview (hopefully actual release candidate), but it may be a little bit off still as I want to try and get the whole "extras repo" thing figured out on top of all the interface work I still have to get done...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post: