Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
No compass (yet).

No voice direction for Ovi Maps.
What do you mean "yet" ?
Are you planning to do some hardware hack?

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I am a large linux fan, the ability to have a terminal attracted me and am not an application crazy type of guy, as long as it can play a game or two and has maps and maybe a text editor am fine, I might of installed NITdroid onto the phone as an experiment as I have a spare memory card. I just want to know what people dislike about the phone so I hear both sides of the arguement
why this phone is bad for you
+ you gonna have to pay for sygic maps - ovi maps is a steaming pile of sheer nokianess
+ there is a "game or two" in the form of angry birds etc anything else you either have to use emulators or buy a palm pre to get the games legally
+no support - but as a tech guy you wont care
+no flash - so web experience is subpar unless you run nitdroid full time

why this phone is good for
+ linux - this is a dev phone - you like to tinker - u r a perfect fit

conclusion - instead of buying sygic get a cheap 2nd hand gps. then buy the n900. you are the right user type.

Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
3-http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=5f92340e8dea5ed7&hl=en
Tried that. The google sync does not work on my N900.

And I do not use the nokia media player widget but still get disappearing widgets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There wasn't two of them in the box I purchased.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Nothing. Is nothing good enough for you.

It's not a phone though. it is to a netbook what a netbook is to a laptop - 99% of the functionality for a fraction of the size and weight.

It is a netbook you can stick in a pocket, and has 3G built in.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
+no flash - so web experience is subpar unless you run nitdroid full time
You mean no Flash 10.1, it has 9.4 which has worked every time I've needed it.

I do wish it had more RAM, it does very well with only 256MB of RAM, but when it swaps you do feel it. It can also get slow and unresponsive at times (even when overclocked).

Ovi Maps while not good, I have found useful, but it really suffers from lack of auto-rerouting when you go off course and it has no easy way of adding points for your journey to go through (you have to do them in order) so as to get it to plot a route different from what it prefers. And it has no voice navigation (but that doesn't bother me).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
I appreciate all the replies, most people seem to have a problem with the battery I charge my phones usually every night. Would that be okay for it? Or would it need some extra power in the day? I would mainly be using it for some music, the wireless and blue tooth would be off and it would probably be on 2G

And am pretty happy with Ovi Maps, I don't need turn by turn and I don't drive, but am sure there are ways to get sygic for free, no sure what this forums stance on piracy is.

Finally so far I've never had to go to Nokia for anything software. I'd rather use the internet for support because I hate companies who constantly do the please take your sim and memory card out and reset. It's tedious and doesn't always work

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2010-12-16 at 19:04.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
What I don't like about my N900
  • Blue paint on keyboard flakes off
  • Sometimes slow to bring up telephony when multi-tasking on PR1.3
That's about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
I appreciate all the replies by the way

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
There lots i love about it, the positive stuff outweights the negative stuff by far, but since the good side isn't the topic of the thread, here are some my complaints

* Builtin speakers aren't even nearly loud enough

* Hard to make the battery last with intensive use

* Doesn't have multitouch (i'm not talking about crapacitive, resistive multitouch is far superior)

* System (and some programs) can get bogged down and somtimes even unstable after running uninterrupt for too long like desktop Windows (might have somthing to do with all the hacks i've applied, the amount of stuff i have installed and all the messing around i do etc)

* The position of the charger and headset plugs

* The lack of a builtin antenna for the FM tunner

* The FM transmitter doesn't seem to be strong enough (might even be weaker than the reported value, though this might be only with my device)

* The screen is nearly unusable under direct sunlight even at maximum brightness

* The bultin speakers positioning and orientation (if i hold in the most confortable position for typing with two thumbs and having access to the upper buttons (volume/zoom and the camera shutter) my hands cover the speakers grills making the already low output get even lower; and the speakers seem to be facing the backside of the device, it sounds louder from behind)

* The slow down when answering calls

* It doesn't have a five way input (somthing i think would rock was if it had a little "glass" nub by the right/bottom side of the screen that used the same (or similar) touch technology the screen does, the more you press on each on a side the faster it would move the mouse cursor, and if you pressed it straight on the center it would "click" the mouse, and an alternative mode that would work like a trackball moving the mouse cursor by how you rub your finger on it and click (as dragging) like a trackpad (a tap to click, tap-hold to drag), and it wouldn't be hard at all to convert that input into joystick input for games and stuff

* It has closed parts (hardware and software) that would allow us to push the N900 even farther if they were open

* How Nokia seems to not have taken the N900 seriouslly enough, kinda feels like what we bought is just an internal proof of concept and we signed a waiver liberating Nokia of any responsibility to the customers (i know things aren't really this bad, but it does feel like it)

* Lack of a 3 axial magnetometer (a compass)

* Crappy quality of the face camera even when a program (like Skype) tweaks the parameters for a better result

* The diminished quality of some photographies taken with flash

* The camera module is less flexible than the ones of similar quality on other Nokia devices in certain aspects (can't crop the image at the image sensor level, usefull for things like foveal imaging and non-lossy zoom among other things)

* A few keys are loosing the opaque black layer, leaving a transparent hole in them

* It only got 3 rows in the keyboard (it isn't as bad as it initially sounded to me, but having a dedicated number row would be great)

* The bottom row of keys are too close to the edge making using them in some games awkward

* Not enough hardware buttons (buttons to answer and dismiss calls, to call the menu, shortcuts to programs etc)

* It is awkward to use the top buttons and the keyboard at the same times (like when playing a first person shooter)

* The keyboard isn't as bright as it could be (i know it could be brighter 'cause of the transparent holes in some keys i mentioned above)

* Its too easy to lag the whole device ( like when upgrading programs, copying large files etc)

* It heats up too easilly

* I would rather if the black plastic on the case was mate black aluminum

* The backstand isn't wide enough leaving the device in an unstable position (IMO the ideal shape would be a trapezoid, so it would also work for placing the device in portrait mode)

* The vibrator motor doesn't got enough torque, and it wouldn't hurt to have a higher top speed and a heavier off-center weight either (it isn't capable of reving up to full speed fast enough for the smaller patterns like the default one for haptic feedback for touching the screen); also it probably would help if the motor reversed direction on each subsequent run so a runs with shorter pauses between them would feel like indenpent instead of accumulating the momentum of the previous ones (i'm not talking about the pulse modulation used to control the speed, i'm talking about the burts of pulses, like when you tap the screen several times really fast or when the pattern itself is set to repeat)

* Many programs got GUI elements that are too big or too small, and some even combine the two extremes by plancing big elements together in a small space making them overlap and have parts hidden

* Digital and analog TV tunner supporting all the more popular standards would be nice (don't forget the builtin antenna)

* The IR part is just an emitter and not a transceiver compatible with irDA (somthing i've just thought of, it would be awesome if the IR "port" was next to the main camera and we had the ability of photographing and videoing in infrared without visible light)

* It would be great to have the touchscreen also feel proximity without touch to allow for things like moving the mouse cursor without clicking on things ("hover") and using hand/finger waving gestures.

* I don't like that when programs slow down things like the audio from keys and screen touches also lag, also i hate how keypresses get into a pile up if i type faster than the program can handle (when that happen the result looks like one key was held down for some time (producing it's alternate character, the symbols and numbers) and most of the other keys had never been pressed and then the last keys are pressed. I much ratter the way it works(or worked) on PCs, after the input buffer has been filled up faster than the programs can handle the machine will emit an error beep for each key pressed that can't fit in the buffer discarding it (it doesn't need to be an audible feedback, the N900 got a vibrator and the status LED that could be used to provide the feedback), i've never lost several words of typing on a PC like how it happens on the N900.

* The issue with lack of space in rootfs

* TV-out only in RCA quality

* No up-to-date Flash

* Doesn't got official Java and J2ME support

* No way to run Symbian programs nativelly (i'm not talking out cross copiling progs that use QT)

* Nokia should have released a FOSS OpenGL to OpenGLES wrapper with the N900

* I know it helps with battery life and heat production, but using a ARM instead of a x86 processor means lots of binnaries avaiable out there aren't compatible

* Doesn't come with official support USB OTG (automatic switching to and from Host mode and stuff)

* A mic array to filter sound by the position would be nice

* The interference between bluetooth and WiFi

There are probably other things that i'm not remembering right now

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-12-16 at 21:36. Reason: it's a typo outbreak

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:

Tags
english mf do, you speak it?