Active Topics

i always change my hotswap my batteries and sim without resetting or switching off.
Only possible with an N900 \m/

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
I remember that when I bought the N900 the time wouldn't reset if I take out the battery, but now the time and date resets everytime I swap the battery.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
There is a small battery built into the N900 but after about 6 months it fails to charge, hence the problem every time the main battery is removed.
Would you mind taking a picture of this little battery? I seem to be missing mine.

I change batteries several times daily and have had my N900 for more than a year. The only time it has ever reset was when I reflashed it.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ a spot
There must be an interesting story behind this...

Regarding the time and date reseting, install OpenNTPD; it will get the correct time from the internet and you will never need to set the clock again, only wheather you want 12h or 24h.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
this is what i do. i try to swap the 2 batteries in under 3 seconds. that usually keeps the charge on the internal battery and i don't have to reset the clock. however, if that fails, i end up using ntp to reset the clock - but that won't work if i'm roaming. :P

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Sure here is the pic showing the battery.
Attached Images

this is a common problem with n900, the picture above shows the battery but it cant be replaced because its soldered onto the board and if you send it back to nokia, they will replace the whole board.
so if its still covered under warranty, send it back. My old one used to have the same problem but they replaced my phone for a new one

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tele View Post
this is a common problem with n900, the picture above shows the battery but it cant be replaced because its soldered onto the board and if you send it back to nokia, they will replace the whole board.
so if its still covered under warranty, send it back. My old one used to have the same problem but they replaced my phone for a new one
And after the warranty has ended? the battery they have used is a cheap re-chargable that has a very limited lifespan so unsolder it and replace it with a good quality rechargable, loads to choose from so i would not even try to reccomend a particlar one.

None last more than 2 year so it would have to be replaced every now and then if the device holds out that long haha.

Why didn't Nokia just make it so you can replace the battery without using a soldering iron? Surely if you can replace a battery in a cheap watch you should be able to do it on an expensive smart phone?

I guess like most of us I don't fancy risking damageing the mother board, or Nokia replaceing it for the sake of the hassle of resetting my N900 clock when every I remove the battry. I will try droll's speedy method next time and see if it works.