Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
It strikes me that the problem with this is that once the cat is let out of the bag, Nokia are forced to pull their deadlines forwards in order to meet expectations and avoid competitors adapting their products. The result of that would be a poorer experience for consumers, with a product not being released according to plan QA and bug-testing...

Sounds familiar. Perhaps it even explains a few things? Theft is theft, if he has received stolen property, then he should be prosecuted just like anybody else.

Mish.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Where has Nokia pulled their deadlines forward? Examples?

And for the record, I agree. Theft is theft.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Keep knocking 'em down, then who will report about Nokia's products in the end?

At this rate, either they (Nokia) will have to start communicating more or risk nobody covering their products out of fear of even breaking an embargo by a few minutes or days.
Your missing the point here we are not talking about ppl breaking a embargo on legit devices few days early, its about stolen secret prototype hardware still in development getting stolen and IP getting leaked to rivals b/c of it
Nokia send review units all over the world for bloggers and tech sites to use and WomWorld do a great job for nokia by communicating with journalists/bloggers putting on events.
Nokia have been more open than any other with future hardware plans, find me another manufacturer who would reveal some of the future specs 12 months before the devices are even out like Nokia did at last maemo summit.
communication is not the problem or solution here b/c nobody is open about devices at a secret prototype stage.
people need to separate OSS with the devices it go's on.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Keep knocking 'em down, then who will report about Nokia's products in the end?
I beg to differ. Bloggers try to take up a bigger footprint than they have. Allaboutsymbian/meego, carrypad/umpcportal etc are very well respected sites that provide good reviews. So to answer the question: if they keep knocking em down, whose gonna cover their products? Another blog, another forum, another enthusiast

I think the direction Anssi Vanjoki is taking is a good one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Adding to the echochamber. Also, I am rather amazed that Nokia allowed him to keep doing this as long as they did.
its probably related to Russia's recent announcement that they want more tech companies to invest in Russia (they've been wooing Nokia).
Nokia now have to leverage against the russian government to act, Eldar could have friends in high places for all we know.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm not convinced by all the brouhaha about competitors knowing your upcoming device specs and plans. Had the N900 been a completely open-source friendly device, NONE of that would have been relevant or mattered. The community would maintain it and advance it a LOT better than Nokia has managed.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not convinced by all the brouhaha about competitors knowing your upcoming device specs and plans. Had the N900 been a completely open-source friendly device, NONE of that would have been relevant or mattered. The community would maintain it and advance it a LOT better than Nokia has managed.
Ok, first of all there is a lot more to the device than just the open source software/OS. What about all the hardware and RF antenae et.c.? Secondly, it was not just the N900 that he blew the whistle on- it was many products, most of them S60.

And don't say something like "well they could have used open-source hardware" - see OpenMoko for how well that works out. There is a place for IP, especially with the largest mobile device manufacturer in the world behind it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Ok, first of all there is a lot more to the device than just the open source software/OS. What about all the hardware and RF antenae et.c.? Secondly, it was not just the N900 that he blew the whistle on- it was many products, most of them S60.

And don't say something like "well they could have used open-source hardware" - see OpenMoko for how well that works out. There is a place for IP, especially with the largest mobile device manufacturer in the world behind it.
Are you saying that OpenMoko failed because they made open-source devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
When I said theft, I wasn't thinking of intellectual property. The phone belonged to Nokia, as they had not released or sold it. It was their physical property, and he had no right to it. What happened was little different from when a skank walks into a mobile phone store, sticks a phone in his pocket, and walks out without paying, then sells it on eBay. (although he was the receiver of the stolen goods). That is theft - open source is irrelevant. If I steal a PC with Linux on it, it is still stealing a computer, just as much as if it runs Windows.

The IP is another matter - but I am sure this could be adequately prosecuted without even getting into that, by prosecuting him just like any petty criminal who receives stolen goods. he has posted a video of himself handling property that belongs to somebody else. What a knob.

On the issue of 'deadlines', it was a hypothetical scenario, but reading through the lines here with what happened with the N8:

http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/n...-murtazin.html

If Nokia play this right, they could generate considerable free publicity for this phone at this guy's expense.

Mish.

Last edited by mishmich; 2010-07-07 at 22:35. Reason: addition

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Your missing the point here we are not talking about ppl breaking a embargo on legit devices few days early, its about stolen secret prototype hardware...
No. I'm not missing the point. I'm just saying how cautious people will more than likely become.

But... I just hope people here have the same responses as they did when Gizmodo illegally obtained iPhone 4 phone - read the responses here.

I'll state it the same way as before: theft is theft. But then it was an outrage by some, some others had choice words for Apple to do so.

But to turn around and fully support Nokia in this endeavor counters some of the prior remarks made within this very same forum about yet another manufacturer trying to protect their IP and yet to be disclosed products.

I hope that you see that I'm all about how the response should close or almost the same since it's all about stolen/misappropriated materials that are not meant for release for quite some time.

I missed nothing. I just desire an even response. I think you missed that.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: