Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I just love the fact that Nokia giving away 500 discounts just isn't enough to satisfy some people. Nokia could make a quad core P4 internet tablet with 2000x1000 screen resolution that last for three years on a single battery charge given away completely for free and there will still be some people that will complain and say it's not enough, even though it's above and beyond what Nokia *needs* to do.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
For the record Zero, I would be satisfied

Also Aflegg, I wrote up a huge long reply to your post, it was nice too, but I took too long to type it and i got autologged off I guess. So when I hit submit it told me I wasn't logged in, I logged in and... POOOF. I lost my post

Anyone have any idea how I could try to extract that lost text from my Firefox browsing session? Cause I know Firefox has memory management issues, so all that text is still floating in my ram somewhere... and I am NOT going to attempt to rewrite it all

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Oh yeah, this is a FANTASTIC idea. Let's see, we have this device, with a very small core group of users. They all hang out on this site over here. You know what, despite the ACTUAL costs of the device, and despite the fact that these people are the ones MOST LIKELY to purchase the new device, hell, let's just give them all big fat discounts. That's sure to work. Yeah, that's a great idea.

Dumb. Just plain dumb.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post

Dumb. Just plain dumb.
I could not disagree more. First of all, Nokia has already thought about this, and since they have now committed to discount (not give away) 500 units to a 'core' group of users, we should see this as proof that they are committed to both the device in the long run, and the users who are helping 'build' it, in the shorter run so to speak.

In other words, it makes FANTASTIC sense to utilize this core group of users! You could read as 'reward', but it's more than that; it is part of a relationship building process that Nokia has (rightly) decided must be a part of the new generation of mobile devices.

This brings me to my second point, which is that Nokia is smart enough to realize that the core group is not the sales base. If it were, they woiuldn't still be pursing it. No, remember, Nokia is a LARGE manufacturer of mobile devices, and what they learn here in the laboratory, so to speak, will be used in the larger marketplace, where they stand to make millions! All just by giving us a little discount! Sounds like good economics to me!

O, and BTW, I want one, of course.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
...and that's what they're doing :-). It's just not "all", and as qgil explained, it's not just users of ITT they want to reward, but application developers, bug reporters, bug fixers, good mailing list netizens, bloggers etc.

So with over 10,000 registered users on here, and 500 discount counts it's going to be who Nokia deem to be most "valuable" across all those different media taking into account a number of factors.

I agree though, it's a really clever business move - especially when qgil comes on here to explain the process in a bit more depth. It really gives the warm & fuzzies.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In the maemo profile you can link to your profile in ITt. Imagine that the total amount of posts could count for your karma equation. (user karma is a feature that wil hopefully come very soon and will help us deciding who are the 500 fortunate owners of a discount code).
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
I don't think that postcount should have anything to do with whether or not you should qualify for the programm (and I'm not saying that because I have hardly any posts in the 2 years i've been here; I won't qualify one way or the other). Postcount is in no way a measurement of quality.
I still think, and guess that's the way it will be done, that limiting the discount to active and proven developers is the best way to benefit the whole community. If after that phase there are a few left for other active community members that's fine.
I agree with elwood, and there are better ways to identify "quality" posters in forums by using karma/thank-you systems (not implemented on this forum, unfortunately - I'll submit a request to Reggie). Post count is not reliable, but as things stand it's all there is.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I just love the fact that Nokia giving away 500 discounts just isn't enough to satisfy some people. Nokia could make a quad core P4 internet tablet with 2000x1000 screen resolution that last for three years on a single battery charge given away completely for free and there will still be some people that will complain and say it's not enough, even though it's above and beyond what Nokia *needs* to do.
IT DOESN"T HAEV A HADR COEVR!!!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I agree with elwood, and there are better ways to identify "quality" posters in forums by using karma/thank-you systems (not implemented on this forum, unfortunately - I'll submit a request to Reggie). Post count is not reliable, but as things stand it's all there is.
Good idea, except that most people *never* use those on forums so it wouldn't really be all that much better than post count anyways.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
and when they do there is a tendancy for people to stick to groups and only add karma to people they know

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
i propose anyone that stuck around from the 770 days get a small discount!