Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Lacking a legal mandate to demand your social security number, i'm not aware of any legal obligation for you to supply the correct social security number to them.

You don't have an obligation to give them the information.

However,

They don't have an obligation to accept your transaction.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Powell, OH
I didn't need my SSN to buy my N95-3 from the Chicago Nokia flaship store and it is a cellphone and has GPS! I didn't need a SSN to buy my N810 from mobilecityonline.com! So why would does Nokia need it to buy over the phone.

I could see having to provide my SSN if I was buying a cellphone with a service plan and they needed it for a credit check. But there is not one reason why you need to use a SSN to purchase a N810 - it is not a cellphone so you don't use a service plan.

I paid $474 for my N810 which includes FedEx overnight this is much more preferable to me than saving $64.01 and handing out my SSN to Nokia telephone associate.

Rolling Stone; August 1985

Nokia - and whatever reseller they're using - can shove that SSN requirement up their asses.

They also need to be DAMN careful. One word in the right ear about a European company collecting American SSN data....buh-bye.
I'm only bitter because the entire EU community slammed the U.S. Army for trying to issue special ID cards to "Local National" civilians working for them overseas in Europe that would allow them to access the computers and networks they would need to in order to do their jobs. Took them more than two years to work that out, the lazy rat bastards.
Also, no U.S. company - or government agency - can collect and house data on EU citizens, according to the EU regs. But we all know they are.
Trust me, the first time someone with a slight foreign accent rings up a bank to query an American SSN and credit card info someone at the bank will wind up calling the cops thinking it's yet another 409 scam.
If your bank lets that slide, put your money in a better bank.

The Social Security Number was invented solely for the purpose of the Social Security Administration.
It was NEVER intended to be used as a national ID number similar to a Nazi concentration camp ID tattoo as it is today.
Do you see that number on your driver's license? No, you don't. If you do then your state is in violation of federal law.

Last edited by iball; 2007-11-20 at 01:48.

I went ahead and bought mine, SSN be damned. The operator -- who
was very, very polite and helpful BTW -- stated that the units were
back-ordered until Nov 27.

I've placed phone orders with Nokia before, and with the exception of
whole SSN issue, the whole experience was much better than it was in the past.

A $75 dollar discount and free 2 day (UPS) shipping is a pretty good deal.
I spend a lot of money on tools and gadgets for work, so I'm somewhat numb to sticker shock. Even so, $479 was enough money that I was starting to feel some pain, so I'm glad that I was able to get it for a more comfortable price.

Originally Posted by waddell View Post

I spend a lot of money on tools and gadgets for work, so I'm somewhat numb to sticker shock. Even so, $479 was enough money that I was starting to feel some pain, so I'm glad that I was able to get it for a more comfortable price.

I will sell you my N810 for $409 and your SSN# you can have it this Wednesday.

Originally Posted by sparkbox View Post
I didn't need my SSN to buy my N95-3 from the Chicago Nokia flaship store and it is a cellphone and has GPS! ...
Yes but you were there in person and I bet you showed adequate ID - to at least reasonably confirm your US residency - like an IL drivers license.

Someone calling on the phone is a whole different animal - could be calling via Gizmo on their N770 from damn near anywhere... The thing that tipped us off was that they will only ship to the credit card billing address. Seems to me that would be enough though.

I know - it's STUPID but hey I don't work for the US state dept and I'm not responsible for whatever dumb *** rules they make up. In my job (IT manager) I've had to supply Dun and Bradstreet numbers, banking contacts and state and federal tax numbers for the same reasons. When I started my IT career 20+ years ago it was illegal to export Unix of any flavor because it used DES to encrypt things like passwords...

This makes no sense when it's being widely-reported - by Nokia themselves even - that N810 units are in-stock in brick-n-mortar stores across the US.

NEVER give your SSN out over the phone or the internet. All they "need" actually is the last 4 of your SSN, that's more than good enough for verification. You see, in order for the SSN to be used as a verification tool, Nokia would have had to ALREADY have your SSN.
Which they don't. Which is why they asked for the whole thing.
Credit card companies and banks do NOT ask for your SSN over the phone whatsoever. Any that do you need to report them to the FDIC.
They ALREADY have your SSN on file in their systems all the ycan ask you for is your LAST FOUR digits of your SSN.

So that's how much your SSN and your entire identity is worth to you?
Man, they didn't even have to buy you dinner before they...well, you know.

That's nice.

EDIT: Screw it, I reported them to the FTC anyway.

Originally Posted by smammon View Post
Yes but you were there in person and I bet you showed adequate ID - to at least reasonably confirm your US residency - like an IL drivers license.

Someone calling on the phone is a whole different animal - could be calling via Gizmo on their N770 from damn near anywhere... The thing that tipped us off was that they will only ship to the credit card billing address. Seems to me that would be enough though.

I know - it's STUPID but hey I don't work for the US state dept and I'm not responsible for whatever dumb *** rules they make up. In my job (IT manager) I've had to supply Dun and Bradstreet numbers, banking contacts and state and federal tax numbers for the same reasons. When I started my IT career 20+ years ago it was illegal to export Unix of any flavor because it used DES to encrypt things like passwords...
Why is everyone else selling GPS's including N810 and not asking for a SSN#

Who cares if you are using a Gizmo it is still being shipped to a US location.

When I bought my N95-3 no ID was asked just gave him my credit card and I am not even from Illinois.

Originally Posted by ajax1 View Post
Nokia has the N810 in stock and ready to ship as per my verification phone call one hour ago.

If you ask you can get a $75 discount making price $409.99.
Free Fedex shipping. You will probably also have to pay sales tax.

Nokia's number is 888-665-4228 (do a google search to confirm this is really Nokia if you wish). Choose option 1, option 2, option 1

Phone is shipped throught letstalk.com.

Nokia does some wierd validation checking. They will ask for your Social Security Number and maybe some other non-standard stuff.

I ordered mine on Friday Nov 16. At that time Nokia said they were back ordered. Today Nov 19, I got an email with tracking number for Nov 21 delivery.

Thanks!! I have been browsing buy and amazon for the past weeks waiting for a better deals to come around. I just ordered mine 5mins ago. total $404 with 2days free shipping and no tax.

I have no problem giving my SN, hell every mother and daughter prolly already have them..hahaha

Now, I just have to wait until somebody get Java to work on the darn thing.

thanks again.
Ban

Originally Posted by sparkbox View Post
Why is everyone else selling GPS's including N810 and not asking for a SSN#

Who cares if you are using a Gizmo it is still being shipped to a US location.

When I bought my N95-3 no ID was asked just gave him my credit card and I am not even from Illinois.
-GPS is just my guess - there is new development there currently.

-Agree totally!

-Again, in person in the US makes a huge difference. The US govt. is firmly entrenched in the 1700's. I've been personally shown and handed stuff you wouldn't believe. But call on the phone and it's an entirely different ball game. (Plus the N95 may not have had the magic gizmo that makes it restricted tech.)

All of this is totally my speculation of course. I'm not a govt. employee and don't even play one on TV.

Last edited by smammon; 2007-11-20 at 02:22.