Notices

Thanks for the OS2007 version of libgnokii, the library was what was blocking me from testing phonelink on my N800+OS2007. It installed fine via repo and I can confirm that it works.

I noticed a couple of things:
  • It doesn't activate BT on my N800 if it's off, unlike some other 'calling-out BT' applications. Instead it behaves like it's sending the SMS, and if you later turn on BT manually to send another (or re-try, as it were) it'll actually send off the one you tried to send earlier as well.
  • When I hit the numeric field to enter the destination phone number, the on-screen keyboard comes up in Shift mode, so the numeric keypad is in non-number mode - I have to hit Shift before I can start typing.
  • Would it be possible to let the application read SMS messages from my phone as well as sending? A very similar application on my Palm T3 can do this, although it has other problems - it cuts messages short after the first non-US-ASCII character, so I can't use it (the phonelink tool has no such problems, which is good).

The problem is that most of the time the Wiki will not let me log in !

Today it did, so I added a section for gnokii command-line functions not (yet) present in Phonelink...

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
The problem is that most of the time the Wiki will not let me log in !

Today it did, so I added a section for gnokii command-line functions not (yet) present in Phonelink...
Can you add your phone model ? and maybe specify that sms reading doesn't work with that phone model (gnokii is compiled straight from svn so I think it's more a problem with gnokii-your phone model than a generic problem here) ?

Edit : Are you fast or Am I asleep ?

Last edited by fredoll; 2008-02-13 at 12:41.

Contactinfos appears to need libsqlite0 (OS2007), but it's not in the dependencies (actually there's no Depends: at all..) - I installed libsqlite0 manually.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
ContactInfos needs libsqlite0 if you use the GPE Contacts Backend (Which is selected by default !)
And if you use the GPE Contacts Backend you should have libsqlite0 because it is installed by GPE
You can change the default Backend in the Control Panel.
Choose eds for the built-in Contacts (And I suppose it should default to that)

Hmm.. I don't have any GPE stuff installed at all.. no part of GPE whatsoever.

I set it to eds now.

Originally Posted by fredoll View Post
Can you add your phone model ? and maybe specify that sms reading doesn't work with that phone model (gnokii is compiled straight from svn so I think it's more a problem with gnokii-your phone model than a generic problem here) ?

Edit : Are you fast or Am I asleep ?
You were asleep, because a) I'm slow, and b) I had edited the page before posting here :-)

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
[*] Would it be possible to let the application read SMS messages from my phone as well as sending? A very similar application on my Palm T3 can do this, although it has other problems - it cuts messages short after the first non-US-ASCII character, so I can't use it (the phonelink tool has no such problems, which is good).
In principle it's very possible, but in practice it's going to depend on which phone you have.

For example on my 6280 dialing out and sending SMS with Phonelink work fine, as do many other gnokii commands when I try them out on the command line : reading and writing calendar entries on the phone, fetching contacts, etc.

The one thing I really would have liked and that doesn't work is reading SMS stored on the phone :-)

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Faz View Post
Thanks Fred!!
I've been looking for a way to SMS from the N810...
Me too. I installed this a while back, then saw the new version here in February, but it didn't work right away. I didn't tinker with it much at the time. Today, I just re-read this thread and even looked at the documentation on the wiki where I discovered that my Motoral Razer might be supported (a brief note said M phones work after v6.22 and I have 6.23).

I just tried again and though my phone's BT light came on, nothing happened. Well, when I check 'Use ContactInfos' I get an error msg that says 'ContactInfos couldn't find anything for [me]'

Unchecking the same box makes it look as if it's working (ie, it says, 'sending'), but no error message is thrown.

So, am I wasting time here with my razr? I don't really need a new phone, but I just saw the newest Sony Cybershot phone...

I would suggest you download the gnokii binary from the GArage page, and conduct some experiments from the command line in xterm (read gnokii man page first :-). It will give you a lot more info on what happens and why...