Notices

Sort of, hildonizing would free up for space which might fix that 'sqeezing' of controls... but the screens -could- actually be redesigned (regardless of hildon) so that they fit in area equivalent to maemo screen size. I'm not the best person to do that hildonization but if i ever decide to include any -easy to add- hildon functionality, i'll pass along.

--
About running on older versions of maemo os < 2008 :

After seeking the sought-after sage serge advice, he concurs instability problems on 2006/2007 with the build he did as well. He mentioned though that there might someday be a OS2008HE for 770 users so it might be possible in the (semi-distant?) future to run this 2008 transmission build on the 770.

If i find out anything out regarding running on non-2008 os'es i'll pass along, i think its a write off to old/incompatible libraries for now

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-11-29 at 14:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
LosOutlandos, im not really sure about the ports... i would think there are two ports, one specified in the torrent file and the other (listening port) should be set in your transmission configuration file which is in hidden directory in /home/user/.transmission/gtk/prefs.ini
thanks for your reply, i just forwarded the port listed under ->help->debug window and it's working great!
thanks again, i'll save so much money on electricity while seeding torrents now

Awesome work, great to see Transmission on the NIT -- I use it exclusively on OSX (though I barely ever boot into OSX to be honest).

-olly

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Looks like I have found a fix for the problem which caused crashes of OS2006/OS2007 transmission builds on opening torrent files: http://transmission.m0k.org/trac/ticket/513

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yay! People think we don't need to download big files on a tablet, but we need stuff for our sdhc cards!

Wow i dont know how you found that but it helped... a little. Not sure if something is wrong on my end but after implementing that fix and rebuilding on bora vm it downloads very well for about a minute then then crashes... xterm shows only this (OS 2007) error, repeated about 8 times :
transmission[3272]: GLIB_CRITICAL ** GLib-GObject - g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

The fix you posted did help, unfortunately this error is not showing me even a filename. Can it complete a significant amount (like 20 megs of a download) for you?

I use http://www.xtvi.com/ as a source for good sized 'test' torrents (strictly for scientific analysis).

I have to say this program would not be worth squat without mplayer... it plays tv shows -very- well. No transcoding/recoding just 'compatible' and fortunately of similar aspect... perfect. Lags a little in high motion scenes but then so does 630mhz eee playing them in browser (flash).

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-11-30 at 00:48.

i've been trying to use transmission to seed torrents, but if i leave my tablet running it seems that, after about 30 minutes, all connections are cut. even if i close the program the browser won't work and i have to disconnect and reconnect. might this have something to do with some energy saving mode that kicks in when the tablet isn't touched? i tried to disable automatic keylock, but it didn't help...

any info appreciated!

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Wow i dont know how you found that
Just used gdb + google + gtk documentation

but it helped... a little. Not sure if something is wrong on my end but after implementing that fix and rebuilding on bora vm it downloads very well for about a minute then then crashes...
Thanks, reproduced this problem too. Now the crash happens inside of libevent library in its epoll based implementation:
Code:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 16386 (LWP 4941)]
epoll_dispatch (base=0x0, arg=0x194370, tv=0x115715) at epoll.c:223
223     epoll.c: No such file or directory.
        in epoll.c
Looking at the sources, seems like it is possible to switch between different libevent implementations using environment variables, for example setting EVENT_NOEPOLL variable should disable epoll based implementation. You can try to run transmission in the following way and check if it helps:
$ EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 ./transmission

If it does not help, there are other interesting environment variables worth trying, just grep for 'getenv' in 'third-party/libevent' directory to find all of them.

xterm shows only this (OS 2007) error, repeated about 8 times :
transmission[3272]: GLIB_CRITICAL ** GLib-GObject - g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
These messages appear in console after doing a call to
Code:
gtk_file_chooser_button_new(
    _("Choose a download directory"),
     GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SELECT_FOLDER);
from dialogs.c. Similar error messages show up when activating preferences dialog (there is also a call to gtk_file_chooser_button_new function). Looks like it is some problem in OS2006/OS2007 GTK library preinstalled on the device. Anyway, though looking quite scary, these error messages are unlikely to be directly related to the crash.

I have to say this program would not be worth squat without mplayer... it plays tv shows -very- well. No transcoding/recoding just 'compatible' and fortunately of similar aspect... perfect. Lags a little in high motion scenes but then so does 630mhz eee playing them in browser (flash).
Yes, there are lots of torrents available on the internet (not all of them are 100% legal though) with videos N800/810 mplayer is capable to play

The Following User Says Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Brilliant! You are correct on all counts.

I didnt need to recompile i just used the build i alread had and invoked with the noepoll and it is very stable.

I've been downloading 2 simultaneous 300 mb files from over 15 peers at for the last 20 minutes/200mbs so it seems it will be very stable.. possibly completely.

Thanks! It's obvious to me that i never would have found either error without your help.

I'll put together a deb for 2007 users in the next hour or so.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-11-30 at 23:08.

I have packaged a build for OS 2007 which includes the fix Serge suggested and it seems to work good.

If i recall correctly, I had to explicitly set the download directory, so either do that or verify its not putting files in internal memory (home dir) with downloads.

The 2007 build can be downloaded here :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...n-1.3.2007.deb

Not sure if it will work on 2006, post your results.

LosOutlandos : i'm not sure about seeding uploads being affected by power modes. I'll start watching for that issue but might be hard to verify if its issue with maemo, original codebase, or torrent infrastructure itself. If you are plugged into wall outlet you might try setting the screen to never shut off (when on ac power) to see if that helps.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-02 at 17:17.

Tags
bittorrent