Active Topics

hi, i'm trying to extract an x-rar file that came with a password ( i have xarchiver, unzip, and unrar installed, os2008). when i doubleclick on the file and thereby open xarchiver,
the password line in the dialogue is always grayed out, and i get a message "incorrect password" in the command line output. how do i enter the password to extract the file? thanks!

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
hi, i'm trying to extract an x-rar file that came with a password ( i have xarchiver, unzip, and unrar installed, os2008). when i doubleclick on the file and thereby open xarchiver,
the password line in the dialogue is always grayed out, and i get a message "incorrect password" in the command line output. how do i enter the password to extract the file? thanks!
i still would like to find an answer to this but i solved the problem momentarily by downloading and installing the free RAR File Open Knife - Free Opener\RARKnife.exe utility to my desktop; it asked for the password and opened the file.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Did you try directly in the xterm running the unrar with -p option?

Just curious if the problem is in the unrar or the xarchiver side.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
thanks for your response, but no, i wouldn't know how to do that.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
thanks for your response, but no, i wouldn't know how to do that.
should be something like the following:
open xterm
navigate to folder with the rar using cd
type:
Code:
unrar e -p filename.rar
a prompt will ask you for the password and it will extract everything to the same folder.

If you just type: unrar you will see more details on unrar's usage.

hope it helps.

are you trying to turn me into a linux expert? but seriously, thanks a lot! i already deleted the .rar file but i'll save these instructions for the future.

are you trying to turn me into a linux expert? but seriously, thanks a lot! i already deleted the .rar file but i'll save these instructions for the future.
No, it's not a conspiracy.

I just love when all fail, one can open immediately the terminal and make things happen with a simple line of code. For me, that's the real power of gnu/linux.

BTW, I've test it by creating a passworded rar in a windows system and then run the command in my N800 and all worked fine. It asks the password twice.

I'm off to sleep now but I'll try to remember to fill a bug against xarchiver on the first chance.