Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Does this mean all the whining will stop?
why should it stop, when, not only the repositories are screwed, but they couldn't even manage to give a sensible error code so that apt-get (and supposedly application manager) would report something understandable? (e.g. instead of "file corrupted" or "file size mismatch" what about "repository temporary unavailable".

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
why should it stop, when, not only the repositories are screwed, but they couldn't even manage to give a sensible error code so that apt-get (and supposedly application manager) would report something understandable? (e.g. instead of "file corrupted" or "file size mismatch" what about "repository temporary unavailable".
Because nobody here can do a goddamn thing about it?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This community is perhaps one of the places that Nokia should be paying attention to to gauge the good and bad... right now, more bad than good. A lot of communication happens here that we'd never have with Nokia directly, it seems.

But I'm sure that'll change. If only they were aware of the problems... which at this rate they don't seem too concerned with fixing. Soon enough, things might "fix" themselves.

Or perhaps not. But this place is the place to air out those grievances.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because nobody here can do a goddamn thing about it?
You over time has provided this forum with good info and tips. Is there something bugging you to the point you must post a comment unbecoming of most of your past posts? No response needed.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Does this mean all the whining will stop?
No way - it's only just starting!

I reckon you're looking at either 27 Dec or 2 Jan before Ferenc returns from vacation and bounces the servers resolving the problem. Seems like only one person manages the maemo.org servers and due to any lack of progress resolving the issue my guess is he's on vacation.

maemo.org and it's management really are beyond a joke.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Care to explain how to check this fully? I've searched to no avail. Thanks in advance.
It was something I found on my card today and deleated... just before most of the repo's cleared up.

Pro'ly just a co-inkydink...

In any event all the repo's seemed hosed last night. Now it is down to just the extras repo that unfortunately contains Python 2.5. So if you need Python, or any app that uses it's bindings including Canola2... no soup for you.

The work around is to disable "extras" for the time being and use the repo I copied a few posts up for Canola2.

I just did a re-flash, reloaded my apps and C2 and it worked flawlessly using the repo's (except extras and Py2.5 dependent apps)

BTW, I've reflashed and reloaded now 3 times in the last 24 hours trying to see if it was some kind of conflict between Py and C2... I didn't find any.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I reckon you're looking at either 27 Dec or 2 Jan before Ferenc returns from vacation and bounces the servers resolving the problem.
Oh, I hope that is not true, although I fear it is. So any poor sap who gets a tablet for Christmas is going spend Christmas day frustrated and disappointed.

If the repos are not fully back by Christmas day then maybe Reggie could post a bold warning right up front on this site. At least that would save the next wave of new owners from wasting their time on Christmas day.

I really don't want to add to the collective whine, but if Nokia was Apple then Steve Jobs would have had somebody killed for this.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
No way - it's only just starting!

I reckon you're looking at either 27 Dec or 2 Jan before Ferenc returns from vacation and bounces the servers resolving the problem. Seems like only one person manages the maemo.org servers and due to any lack of progress resolving the issue my guess is he's on vacation.

maemo.org and it's management really are beyond a joke.
There may be hope - Ferenc appears to be on the case!

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Barcelona
last try before I go to bed (2 am Madrid time) and repositories still tits up....two days with a useless tablet staring at me !!!

Garfi

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
You over time has provided this forum with good info and tips. Is there something bugging you to the point you must post a comment unbecoming of most of your past posts? No response needed.
My post was nothing more than a statement of fact. The people with the power to solve this problem do not frequent this forum, so complaining about it here (however good it may make you feel) will not accomplish anything.

If you want to try and get something rolling in the right direction, my best guess would be to call up Nokia Support and complain to them. It's the only way management is likely to pay attention to the problem.

Closed Thread