Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
Claws-Mail has NNTP-Support, it is working fine here (just reading 5-10 low-traffic newsgroups on the N810).

You can get it from:

http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/

.install-File: http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/claws-mail.install
ok, i created an NNTP folder, how do you add groups? Sorry for being such a noob!

The Following User Says Thank You to ynnek63 For This Useful Post:
Same error message on my n810.

I would really appreciate a working newsreader.

Originally Posted by piltdown View Post
Same error message on my n810.

I would really appreciate a working newsreader.
Pan is working on my n810 now. just do the apt-get install hildon-libs0 before you install Pan in xterm. you might need to be root to do that.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
ok, i created an NNTP folder, how do you add groups? Sorry for being such a noob!
You can tap-and-hold on the Folder name with the stylus, in the context menu you will get an option to subscribe to groups.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chelli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Every ISP I've had for the last twenty years or so, and there have been a lot of them, has had oodles of free newsgroups. I'm going mainly by my experience in California, New York, Moscow, and Barcelona.

By the way: After adding the Hildon stuff as specified, Pan seems to be working fine for me.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-02-17 at 23:58.

Which repo has pan? Which has hildon-libs as needed? I dont see in any OS2008 servers.

I installed Claws and its newsreader package, but can't see how to set it up.

pj

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
Thanks to this thread (Thank you fellow ITT'ers) I now have PAN Newsreader installed on my N800 OS2008 and able to read & post to uk.telecom.mobile using the free news server news.aioe.org

Sorry to add a link, but I've posted how I did it on my tablet blog at http://gerrymoth.wordpress.com/2008/...or-the-n800-2/

I've experimented with Claws and Pan. Of the two, I like the way Pan looks a lot better. Claws just feels like the News capability was added as an afterthought.

Unfortunately, Pan is giving me problems. Aside from the little things like not being able to see all of the full configuration dialogs, and not being able to use some keyboard shortcuts (my N810 doesn't have a Delete key, for example...), it also crashes whenever I try to save an article.

I normally read news on the subway, where I don't have connectivity, so I want a reader that will do let me do the following:
1) download full headers and bodies for all new posts with a single command
2) display them in a threaded fashion
3) allow me to read through them and easily mark articles I want to keep
4) delete all unmarked articles with a single command (either globally or per-newsgroup would be fine)

I see how to do 1 and 2 with Pan, and if I could figure out 3, I can probably get 4.

Can anyone offer some hints on flagging articles to keep? Or suggest a newsreader that can do the above?

trying to install Pan and hildon-libs0 dep.

Can anyone who knows x-term and the files it list help intrepret the screen shot below. I have an N800 with os2008 and Fanoush dual boot and Penguinbait KDE installed(in case you need to know how I config my N800). I also tried gerrymoths weblog install method(adding maemo Extra bora and maemo hackers mistral) and that did not work either. I have Abiword installed and it works yet it says it can't be installed. In app manager I tried installing under red pill the packages that it needs and it says they are installable but half way through install it says uninstallable. i also tried the -f install method suggested by x-term. I'm a linux newbie so I have no clue how to get around these install package problems. I'm trying to install Pan and the hildon-libs0 dependency. I've not had any problems in the past installing an app that needed lib installed first. Any suggestions, tips, guidance or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by dan; 2008-04-01 at 11:50.

There's a new usenet client called miconews that might be worth checking out.