Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
A quick test of the router could be:
Take it home (no need to connect it to any network) and try to connect to it there. Hopefully your home is far enough away from work, so as interference can be ruled out.

If you still can't connect, it is your router.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

my guess would be first a channel issue, next the router is failing...

If the channels are different it is not the other router. Now it is very remotely possible the other router is spastic and splatting signals all over the place, but Netstumbler of the the other net utils would show that if you watched the scan for a bit.

My money is on the office's router being screwed up config wise or dying.

I like the idea of isolating the office router and seeing what happens. Heck take it to a local coffee shop, the basement, heck, the bathroom, plug in and see if you can connect. If you can I would suspect something in the office is disrupting the signal.

If other wireless workstations and systems can connect to the router as normal, then the issue is likely not the router nor the allegedly offending "evil router across the street". Could be something changed in the setup for your connection on the tablet.
BTW, I did not read if you tried boosting the Tx power on the tablet to it's max 100mW signal. Can you connect to your home wifi ok?

Last do you manage the network at the office? If not who does and did they change the WPA key? Block you Mac address? Perhaps because company security policy prohibits connecting personal devices to the network? There are so many possibilities here...

Well, I am not managing our office network. They hired a guy to do that.
He took the router home and found it working ok. He brought it back tried all different channels but no luck.
I do have the right WPA key to connect to our network. We had a couple laptops around for quick work in the meeting rooms but the network just does not work anymore.

I did get wirelesstools working on my N800 and next time I am over at our main office I will try it out. I also thought I could drive up and down the streets and try to triangulate where 3blindmice is coming from. Would be great if there is an app that shows bars for signals - the refresh from the connection manager is just too slow.

johenkel

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
WiFiInfo

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/wifiinfo/

It has an adjustable refresh

Thx subaru,
I have that one installed but it only shows the info about a connection that you are logged on to.
So doesn't work for me.
j.

There are plenty of great apps for determining the location of an AP...just not on os2008.

Between netstumbler and wififofum on my pocket pc i can pretty much pinpoint a source.

However, with a simple map and some signal strength surveying you should be able to get close enough to determine a general location...or at least point in the right direction.

NOW, all that being said, the odds of your network being "overpowered" by a neighbor are extremely small. I'm willing to bet that disabling 3blindmice will not solve your problem.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
friend of mine has a netgear dg836g (v1) which has a known design problem which causes it to fail when it gets old... the signal regular just disappears. google to see if yours has developed a known fault. it could also be someone being stupid and setting up a fake access point with same ssid, so if you do a wireless scan check the MAC address. Try changing the ssid too.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
WiFiInfo

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/wifiinfo/

It has an adjustable refresh
clicking the install gives me 404 not found

--edit--
aha, I guessed his home page and found where his projects are now homed:
http://www.anderenen.de/anderenende/maemo.html

Last edited by speculatrix; 2008-03-05 at 22:19.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Votes for the bann hammer!

Originally Posted by johenkel View Post
...we had a couple laptops around for quick work in the meeting rooms but the network just does not work anymore...

johenkel
but it works for the Netadmin at home? I am assuming at least one wifi system is XP based, have you installed Netstumbler on it and checked to see what it sees?

I still fall in the camp of this is too important to mess with and it is cheaper to grab a new router then try and track down what could be a very tedious issue.

Another assumption...your netadmin-person has tried a different router? I mean is all of the wireless systems cannot connect to the router then it has to be the router. Since you say all channels have been tried...it is a smoked router or there was a change in the config. I just can't see any other possible issues beyond so sort of broad spectrum interference covering all of the 2.4Ghz channels. But if that was the case then other folks in your area would have the same issue.

It "could" be something funky with the power....but that one is waaay WAG and a very last grasping at straws. Before that level of investigation I would try to reflash the router firmware. A 'stuck bit' can be a PITA.

Here is another suggestion for TS'ing this...turn off all wifi devices and shutdown all wired connections too. The bring up one wifi device and see what happens. If that works add another, and so on...

Otherwise, I would just swap the router for a different one...if the network is down you are losing money and paying someone to troubleshoot the problem who's possibly interested in padding the billable hours then solving the problem.

can't wait to read what the issue ends up being...this is a strange one. And interesting too!

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-03-06 at 12:08.