Active Topics

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
This definitely looks like a great move on Apple's part. In reality though for Nokia this isn't really a battle between Maemo and iPhone OS but really between the iPhone OS and Symbian. I love my Symbian phones and have actively used them for about 5 years now, but this has to worry them. The iPhone user base is much more apt to purchase applications for their phone and catering to the Enterprise market is key for widespread adoption, you know that every executive is going to be asking his IT department for this phone.
Most Symbian phones are almost sold as dumb-phones my friend had a 6682 for a year without knowing you could install any applications. The N-Series as well are sold as multimedia phones and not really as phones you can add stuff to. With the iTunes store the iPhone is going to have a HUGE advantage over the current distribution methods that Nokia uses. We'll see how all this shakes out with Ovi and all that but I must say kudo's to Apple for delivering what looks like a super interesting platform. (ps. I am usually an Apple hater)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
do apple have the final say about what apps go on the store?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Doesn't that mean there won't be much freeware for the iPhone ?
No I don't think you can say that... Unless you mean by freeware crappy apps written by a high school whizkid or sophmore computer science major for a project. Most good developers do more than one app and often do a couple pro bono as it were. There will be some free apps and more professional ones for a reasonable price. I think that is a good situation
I don't care much for the free c64 ports on maemo so I won't mind if that stuff does not get posted for Apples IT.

Last edited by wls; 2008-03-06 at 23:05.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Here's the link to watch the entire Mar.6 Apple SDK presentation.

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
I tried to install Maemo SDK about a year ago but could not get it work on my Ubuntu laptop. So compared to that, I think Apple SDK is looking quite nice.
Ok. Three questions:

* Have you tried installing Apple SDK?
* Have you tried installing Apple SDK on your Ubuntu laptop?
* Have you tried installing Apple SDK a year ago?

If iPod Touch had a bluetooth, I would have ordered one already. And of course Intel MIDs are also coming. I got to admit that Nokia is looking less desirable every day.
Intel MIDs, if and when they arrive, will be based on the Silverthorne (aka Atom), which is a PentiumI-derived CPU. Good luck trying to match OMAP's power efficiency with that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by eetimm View Post
(and not entirely open source)
I think you mistyped - should have been "and entirely not open source".

iPhone and Nokia ITs are entirely different beers - iPhone is a commercial phone with commercial oriented applications and no SDK from Apple is going to change that for a company that charges 20$ for the iPod Touch mail app. Why do you think Apple is going to have a change of heart and become entirely open? You don't have a problem with 100$ for a SDK from them, but you have a problem with entirely free one for Maemo, maybe because it doesn't install you a dazzling IDE and doesn't convert your old Linux PC to a Leopard (or was it the other way round? oh, nevermind)?

The goal of Apple is simple and many before them have done it - charge for the development tools, offer a free beer, promise millions of eventual customers, then leave the developer write open source/free... or will he?

Oh, just read that...
• Free through Apple Developer Connection?
Not exactly - It's a free beta for anyone, but Apple launched the iPhone Developer Program which will charge developers $99 per year for the right to publicly release iPhone apps, and distribute them via the new App Store.

One time fee from Apple? Naa...

The full article from Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/364696/iphone-sdk-rumor-checklist

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-03-06 at 22:56.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
do apple have the final say about what apps go on the store?
I believe so yes. Since they already said they wouldn't allow VOIP on TMobile's Data plan I think. (only WIFI). So they do have the say on what can go or not.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I guess its still maemo, or maybe android or ubuntu mobile for me in the future then.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
And no old consoles emulators then =) They are illegal

I guess its still maemo, or maybe android or ubuntu mobile for me in the future then.