Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I have to this point shied away from on-screen buttons in favor of a cleaner interface, but I'm willing to entertain the idea of an optional toolbar. If I can dock it to the side instead of the bottom, and if I can find some reasonably usable, free icons, I'll try to add one in a future release.
I would advise against the toolbar: it takes valuable screen estate. Just overlay a couple of transparent buttons on the map, the same way as built-in N810 mapping application does it: this way the icons will be easily usable, they will not steal screen estate, and they will not obstruct the map.

Stylus tap-and-drag is already mapped to the pan operation. I guess I could either change that behavior to draw-extent-and-zoom-pan, or make it optional.
The idea is to catch drags that end up crossing themselves and treat only these drags as zoom operations. In other words, if the end of your drag is in <epsilon pixels from the start, and if the drawn shape has an extent (i.e. it's not just a segment), then you zoom, otherwise you pan.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
I would advise against the toolbar: it takes valuable screen estate. Just overlay a couple of transparent buttons on the map, the same way as built-in N810 mapping application does it: this way the icons will be easily usable, they will not steal screen estate, and they will not obstruct the map.
I don't really like the idea of translucent buttons. They're either so transparent that they will accidentally get pressed when someone tries to pan to that location, or they're so opaque that they end up stealing screen space anyway. I'll see what I can do, though.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
The idea is to catch drags that end up crossing themselves and treat only these drags as zoom operations. In other words, if the end of your drag is in <epsilon pixels from the start, and if the drawn shape has an extent (i.e. it's not just a segment), then you zoom, otherwise you pan.
The problem here is that the map moves while you're panning, so while you're drawing the circle, the map is moving with your stylus, which would not only confuse ordinary users but make it difficult to accurately draw your circle around the area into which you're trying to zoom.

I'm not willing to sacrifice drag-panning for the sake of circle-zooming.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Gnulite: This is my favorite application on my N800. Thanks a ton.

The one feature I would love is if it could directly import a GPX file downloaded from geocaching.com. It croaks on something within the "groundspeak:cache begin/end tags. Any chance you can add this "fix" to a feature list for a future release?

I have the D-pad mapped to zoom. Up zooms in, down zooms out, quick and easy to access - I can do it without even looking at the device while driving.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I have the D-pad mapped to zoom. Up zooms in, down zooms out, quick and easy to access - I can do it without even looking at the device while driving.
N810 has no easily accessible d-pad. Actually, I think the Navicore app has zoom buttons implemented just right: they are overlaid onto the map but in the same time they do not get in the way.

Originally Posted by tps View Post
Not specific to this release, but is there any reason that adding a POI will only let you add the coords in decimal and not in the specified format in setup? I usually use dd mm.mmm, but have to whip out the calculator, or go online for the conversion when I want to manually add a POI.
Actually, technically, you can use any degree format you want when specifying degrees in any dialog box, not just your specified degree format, and not just on certain dialog boxes.

The problem with the Add/Edit POI dialog boxes is that the degrees were not being formatted before pre-populating the text fields. But the code to parse them should still work, and that parsing code is format-agnostic (it understands all of the formats at once).

The dialog will be corrected in the next version. Thanks for the catch!

Maemo Mapper v2.4.1 was just released.

This is a minor bugfix release, which also adds formal support for a couple new languages. Also added the ability to enable/disable recording of your track. (This is distinct from displaying the track - it controls whether or not Maemo Mapper even records your track to disk. Disabling it temporarily can make it easier to produce tracks submittable to OpenStreetMap.)

CHANGELOG:
* Fixed bug in editing POI categories (closes #2281).
* Forced default setting of gpsd_ctrl_sock (closes #1714).
* Added ability to disable the recording of your track (closes #2311).
* Fixed display of lat/lon in "Add POI" dialog box.
* Added German and Spanish translations.
* Added support for online HTML versions of built-in help docs.

Hi gnuite,

just updated to 2.4.1 before i went to work.
Is it possible that + / - max / min window on top of N810 devices is actually not working or do i have to reboot the device to make them working again ?

Besides that as always thanks for this wonderfull app.

MiBi

Originally Posted by MiBi View Post
Hi gnuite,

just updated to 2.4.1 before i went to work.
Is it possible that + / - max / min window on top of N810 devices is actually not working or do i have to reboot the device to make them working again ?

Besides that as always thanks for this wonderfull app.
I did add an additional hardware button option, but I don't think that would have affected existing settings. Just in case, though, use the "Hardware Buttons..." button in the "Settings" dialog and make sure they're still set to what you want them to be.

And, for my information, are you running in the en_US or en_GB locale, or a different one?

MM 2.4.1, N800. I keep getting a problem with the internal card being set to read-only when downloading maps. The program just exits, no error message, no nothing. Sometimes it seems to exit but is still running, as shown by load-applet. This behavior seems to be linked to somehow setting the SD card to read-only. File manager shows it to be read-only after the exit, and sometimes after a normal exit. I have to reboot the N800 to change it back to normal mode. The same problem existed with 2.4, and I think 2.3, maybe further back, I just couldn't trace the random exit problem back then. Any ideas?