Thanks, I'm going to give it a try !

Is it necessary/preferable to uninstall the stock osso-xterm first ?

I'm glad I raised the subject after all :-)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Thanks, I'm going to give it a try !

Is it necessary/preferable to uninstall the stock osso-xterm first ?

I'm glad I raised the subject after all :-)
You cannot remove stock xterm from app manager and I don't think its really recommend to remove it with apt-get. You can install safely over the old one

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Benson, I am confused too. I see in the "tags" subdirectory that mh11 was just tagged. I was working under the assumption that "trunk" contained the newest code that had not yet been tagged. It turns out this is incorrect, ad "tag" mh11 is two hours old and "trunk" is 2 months old. I will put up a new build on the page I linked to before.

Okay, I have put both the newest version (0.14.mh11) and an older version (0.13.mh25). The newest one has a horizontal shortcut bar and no tabs (but undoubtedly some bug fixes) and the older one has a vertical shortcut bar and tabs. Both seem to work fine. Install whichever one you want, but only install one (otherwise the other gets overwritten).

Last edited by fiferboy; 2008-03-19 at 18:43. Reason: Multiple version available

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
'kay, thanks for the tip !

For anyone trying to decide which one:

The old version (0.13) is the old familiar OS2007 one, as far as I can tell.

The new one (0.14) is like OS2008, but:
  • The Ctrl button is back how it was (which is friendlier for the HWR, which is iitself friendlier to portrait mode)
  • Launching apps in xterm still gives 2 windows, but they each have their own toolbar.
  • Encoding is selectable
  • Windows close when the shell exits
I like the new one better, but take your pick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ctrl option seems non-functional in toolbar for both versions I tried. Anyone else with same problem?

With old one, I could go to menu to use ctrl but the new one doesn't have it.

Excellent!! This new version finally fixes character encoding for us Nordic ppl when using irssi via ssh

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Ctrl option seems non-functional in toolbar for both versions I tried. Anyone else with same problem?

With old one, I could go to menu to use ctrl but the new one doesn't have it.
Clicking Ctrl toggles Control on, then input a letter (by hildon-input-method or full-screen keyboard, or even xkbd when it works), and the terminal gets the corresponding control character. This way you don't have to have the keyboard popping up and down like the default one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I like the new one better, but take your pick.
- i like the old one better, so kudos to all of you for making this happen!

[does 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' dance]

:-)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Clicking Ctrl toggles Control on, then input a letter (by hildon-input-method or full-screen keyboard, or even xkbd when it works), and the terminal gets the corresponding control character. This way you don't have to have the keyboard popping up and down like the default one.
AH!

Thanks .

I actually prefer the old one. Granted the vertical sidebar should be moved down but the tabs are useful.

The old one actually closes too when the shell is quit. Plus with personal menu, "launch in xterm" feature, you only have to press X once.

Old one ftw! :P

Plus the old one has a clear option.