Active Topics

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by johndoe32102002 View Post
A-GPS is not a viable solution for many users. There should be better driver support for the GPS that comes with the N810 to allow lock with satellites much faster.
A-gps isn't a total solution. It doesn't impact the sensitivity of the GPS, it provides a shorter list of satellites to search for and will by definition help some. There are a number of factors that can impact the fix time. I believe satellite communications works best line of sight. The odd tree could impact it. I wouldn't rule out driver changes but the issues are more likely the chip set itself or perhaps the antenna design. If the 1st GPS fix time is that important you, there's the option to purchase a separate bluetooth GPS receiver.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
A quick thing I learned about weak GPS, like the N810. If the tablet gets a "reflection" of the signal, it will mess up because the reflection is out of sync. Usually it will correct itself, but sometimes it just acts stupid a refuses to lock. That is why restarting works, because it forces a rescan of sorts.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
A-GPS should be called A-BS. I've tried it, and yeah there's a recognition that there should be 8-10 satellites visible -- but you can leave cheap N810 facing south, top up, shaking a dead chicken for hours and not get a lock. We just need to realize we've been ripped off.

Pausing on the street, pulling over your car, whatever -- your friends are sitting there with their iPhones wondering what's wrong with you. My wife won't even let me turn on the dumb N810 in the car any more.

Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
A-GPS should be called A-BS. I've tried it, and yeah there's a recognition that there should be 8-10 satellites visible -- but you can leave cheap N810 facing south, top up, shaking a dead chicken for hours and not get a lock. We just need to realize we've been ripped off.

Pausing on the street, pulling over your car, whatever -- your friends are sitting there with their iPhones wondering what's wrong with you. My wife won't even let me turn on the dumb N810 in the car any more.
Satellite signal reflections from buildings in NYC can be a challenge for a GPS or almost any wireless device. Perhaps more so the N810's GPS. A-GPS won't overcome that kind of problem. I've found that A-GPS does help in Fresno CA but we don't do lots of tall buildings here. We all wish that Nokia had made a different choice for GPS chip in this device. You may not find this acceptable but a bluetooth GPS receiver with the Sirf-III chip would likely give you the performance you are seeking.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Last edited by fragos; 2008-10-12 at 21:41.

There do seem to be some locations that are particularly bad and for no apparent reason. One really bad spot for me is on and around the Millenium Bridge over the Thames. I have tried numerous times and can never get a lock there. I suspect either something is jamming it or there are reflections from the bridge structure. Standing in the middle of the Thames you are a long way from the buildings.

If you walk a few yards up to St.Paul's and sit on the steps you can then always get a lock (after the usual random waiting period of course) despite being surrounded by buildings and having a stonking great cathedral next to you!

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Satellite signal reflections from buildings in NYC can be a challenge for a GPS or almost any wireless device. Perhaps more so the N810's GPS. A-GPS won't overcome that kind of problem. I've found that A-GPS does help in Fresno CA but we don't do lots of tall buildings here. We all wish that Nokia had made a different choice for GPS chip in this device. You may not find this acceptable but a bluetooth GPS receiver with the Sirf-III chip would likely give you the performance you are seeking.
It may be a little harder in NYC, but I have used my Pioneer in dash GPS unit very successfully. I have gone all over, including in between the tallest buildings with no problem. Yes, I was using a dedicated system but I am just pointing out that GPS does work in NYC. I feel that people are using excuses for the N810's GPS. GPS does work, the one in the N810 just sucks.

Just my two cents on the issue of N810's GPS. If I'd purchased the N810 primarily as a GPS I would have returned it. Like many do it all devices not everything works as well as in a single function device. To me GPS was a plus but not a core requirement. The price of the N810 is justified for it's primary functions. I'll use the N810's GPS to learn about GPS use and and practical value. As much as I love gadgets they don't all make it into my inner circle of daily use. If the N810 GPS becomes unworkable I'll buy a bluetooth GPS receiver to improve the performance. I would still be spending less for GPS than if I purchased a quality stand alone GPS. On top of that I have an open source device that will be subject to free continuous improvement. That can't be said of proprietary units. Others may not agree with me but while they complain I'll be enjoying and daily using my N810 which has clearly made it to the inner most circle of my most used and loved gadgets.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
The N810 is my Swiss Army knife of computers.

When I need to use it's GPS I have to take into account it's limitations, but as George said "To me GPS was a plus but not a core requirement."
I too was frustrated by extremely long times to lock, since I've been using GPS since about '96 with an HP100LX. Since I loaded AGPS my lock times have been shortened IF I have time and net connection to run AGPS first after a move.

Getting off a plane after a long trip, no net, forget about it.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The secret to my quick signal lock has always been using it with Nokia's HH-12 easy mount suction holder which makes for a fast lock. Putting the N810 in the cradle hold, turning on the map program, and twisting the holder so that the Nokia name is facing up and I'm getting under 30 second locks continuously. It's something about the water content in the human body when you actually hold the N810 in your hand it seems to block the signal. When it's in the holder, there's nothing affecting it, thus the quick sat fix. I remember testing it four days ago, indoors, at night holding it in my hand. Took me 2 minutes + to get a fix. Four days later, same conditions, same time, but in the HH-12 mount....fix time 20 seconds. I have never been disappointed by the sat time when the N810 is in it's mount. Now, I'm not discounting those that may have a less than working perfect GPS chip or the fact that location seriously affects the lock on, but all I can add to the conversation from my experience is that I am probably one of the few that doesn't have any GPS lock issues, but I give all the credit to the HH-12 mount for speeding up the sat time fix.

Sounds like I'm an HH-12 travelling salesman, but for me it's been the best thing for my sat acquisition time.

Last edited by callanish; 2008-10-14 at 21:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callanish For This Useful Post:
I'm not convinced about the human body thing. I have tried sitting in the middle of a park with my N810 on the grass and also with it sitting on a bench and still had to wait 20 minutes.

I am running a number of these devices and have had three sitting on the same window sill. I can confirm that they have very different lock times. One of them is particularly poor and I can often wait several hours for that one to lock.

All my units were purchased at the same time from the same supplier and are running the same software versions. The poor one continually generates gpsd errors (even when locked) with no apparent cause.

The message is that manufacturing tolerances are probably to blame and, if your unit looks like it's a bad one, get it exchanged.

Tags
gps, maemo mapper, n810, time to fix