Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
verumgero already linked to DiceJinni without mentioning the name. Thus, DiceJinni could not be found via the search function. I hope this post solves this problem.

I installed DiceJinni right after Evince as one of the first programs when I laid hands on my n810. I thought that would make me the ultimate mobile-roleplayer. Then I realized that the keyboard implementation was not so good, e.g. you could not use the Fn function and had to use the OSD which I thought was kind of to nervous for my tastes. To define a D10 was okay, a D100 was a project I never started. (I know 2D10 serve the same purpose). Consequently I stopped tinkering around with DiceJinni.

Later, as I got more used to maemo, I realized that I could use an editor to tinker around with the .dicejinni.xml (file can be found in /home/user ). The syntax is easily understood be just inspecting it. Thus I was able to quickly "create" some more combinations. Just for the record, I copied the file to the MyDocs folder to be able to edit it with Leafpad.

In conclusion, DiceJinni is the program of choice for games that use special dices. Formula Dé or roleplaying games using Fudge dice came to my mind. It is well suited for roleplaying games that use "exploding" dices or other fancy rules that are hard to code but easy to resolve by the user. Yet, in my eyes it is not suited for games were dice pools come into play (think of Ki-Adapt in Shadowrun).

Btw, thanks Tim for this program.
icke

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess leafpad /home/user/.dicejinni.xml should work

and yes, dice pools could be nasty...

maybe someone should contact the dev about that...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Yes, that worked

Thanks tso for this advice.
icke

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
So I was minding my own business and I found this. Which happens to be the holy grail of my dice simulator quest. I have been using a flash version that I snagged off the internet but it just isn't the same as having a standalone program.
I wrote the application for my next game of the german board "Siedler". Somehow I had the fealing the dices were always against me

Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
In any event, thanks Tim Teulings for making a very cool program.
A very nice compliment. Thank you!

Instead of writing one big hit I try to write a number of smaller applications that become small hits. If there somewhere outthere witha need for another small application that has the chance to get a small to medium number of community don't hesitate to mail me. Nevertheless if you like the application, please rate it at http://www.maemo.org/downloads.

The Following User Says Thank You to Framstag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tso View Post
that person seems to create alll kinds of nifty small programs. i just wish there was a way to quickly clone dice...
Thanks for the compliment, too! In fact I already have a version that allows cloning of dices. I just wanted to add another dialog for easily adding numeric dices over a range (like 1-6 or 1-20).

Looks like I should hurry up (currently fixing some stuff in my applications to support fremantle SDK) and make a new release ;-)

If you have other suggestions for improvements don't hesitate to mail me!

Thanks...Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Framstag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
woot woot, looking forward to it

tho, ill always be partial to dumping huge numbers of dice on the table

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by tso View Post
woot woot, looking forward to it

tho, ill always be partial to dumping huge numbers of dice on the table
Yes, dumping 10 d8 on the table for a damage roll has quite the demoralizing affect. But I am what you might call a "closet gamer" and I like not having to carry around all the dice.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
But I am what you might call a "closet gamer" and I like not having to carry around all the dice.
Did you hear the one about the D & D gaming midget that came out of the cupboard?

Okay, that was bad...

Sorry, but for some reason, I really like midget jokes.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida